An Old School Catholic Message Board

prayer requests to convents

PadrePio

Are prayer requests sent to convents (especially contemplative cloistered ones) taken seriously and prayed for?

Technology helps us to send prayer requests via emails these days. Are they just ignored or taken seriously.

Any experiences to share?

Yes, they are taken seriously. Many convents will post the prayer requests they receive for all to read in the common area, or will create a list to share or announce them in chapter or hand out slips for each to pray with. If the convent has access to technology, someone is usually checking for them daily or weekly, and if they don't they usually have a lay person or extern who checks email for them.

I'm curious what leads you to believe that cloistered contemplatives who all have as a core of their identity prayer for others would not take prayer requests seriously.

Yes, I second what Bonkira said. There is someone checking emails daily and anyone sending mail has their prayer request put on a special board near the Chapel. 

9 hours ago, Bonkira said:

I'm curious what leads you to believe that cloistered contemplatives who all have as a core of their identity prayer for others would not take prayer requests seriously.

My previous post was a bit confusing...I meant this way.. 

I do understand contemplatives take prayer very seriously. However would they be motivated to pray for prayer requests from users over the internet whom they may have no clue about is what I was trying to ask

4 minutes ago, PadrePio said:

My previous post was a bit confusing...I meant this way.. 

I do understand contemplatives take prayer very seriously. However would they be motivated to pray for prayer requests from users over the internet whom they may have no clue about is what I was trying to ask

Yes. Their whole lives focus on prayer and they pray for everyone who contacts them and everyone who does not, whether their intentions are clear or known at all. Motivation really doesn't come into it, as how they feel about praying is not the focus; their entire job is to intercede for the Church and all her children whether they find the reason personally enlightening....it's their job as contemplatives.

Edited by Bonkira

Prayer requests are often vague - "For a special intention" - but the nuns pray for the intentions anyway.

The person asking for prayers can be a friend of the community or a complete stranger - the nuns pray for their intentions anyway. 

The request can be made in person, by handwritten mail, or by e-mail - the nuns pray for the intention anyway. 

It can be a sunny day, a cloudy day, a rainy day, or a snowy day - the nuns pray for the intentions anyway. 

Some people send a donation to the nuns, and some people don't (or can't) - the nuns pray for the intentions anyway. 

Any other questions? 

Edited by Luigi

• 2 weeks later...
catholicamama

The convent where my daughter lives has a board by the chapel (or maybe it's in the chapel...can't recall) so prayer intentions are posted there so all the sisters can see them.  I imagine it's similar in most orders, especially the ones who encourage folks to send in requests.

19 hours ago, catholicamama said:

The convent where my daughter lives has a board by the chapel (or maybe it's in the chapel...can't recall) so prayer intentions are posted there so all the sisters can see them.  I imagine it's similar in most orders, especially the ones who encourage folks to send in requests.

thank you for the info..which community does you daughter belong to?

In some cases, the monastery may send you a letter about the intention. However, remember that some have reasons they themselves do not use email, and that even those who might write a letter do not necessarily receive or send correspondence during Advent (and Lent.)