An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastery of St. Gertrude

nikita92

Just came across this community located in Idaho.

While reading..this particular section caught my eye. I thought I would copy and paste it here, for those that might want to check it out.

Second Journey

The second half of life presents a new threshold of integrated experience. Raising children, marriage and friendships, careers and life accomplishments, and simply navigating a good length of life’s path have formed us in profound ways. Perhaps the next journey is a vocation in our Benedictine community that is serving over 20,000 people a year in a wide array of ministries.

How is God calling you now?

We invite you to explore the possibilities with us. We are holding “Second Journey” events and we could be coming your way! For more information call 208-962-5003 or email vocations@stgertrudes.org.

This sounds really nice. Because it seems this community is able to really welcome older discerners and see their (potential) vocation as a gift, which is unusual. I saw they also have a co-housing project for single women who want to live Benedictine spirituality, but without the commitment of becoming a nun.

I did a 7 day silent retreat last year at Holy Wisdom Monastery. "Holy Wisdom Monastery is an ecumenical Benedictine community of communities, located near Madison, Wisconsin. Prayer, hospitality, justice and respect for all of creation form the heart of these communities. Our peaceful setting includes restored prairie, a retreat and guest house and a ‘green’ monastery building. Learn more about us and how you might find yourself at home here. All are welcome."

Due to Covid last year, their guest house was not yet open, but I was able to stay in one of the hermitages on the property.  

They are a bit too "far to the left" for me, but it worked out fine as my official retreat master was a priest at St. John's College in MN.  We had twice a day sessions via Zoom and I was able to pray the LOTH and attend Mass with the Sisters.

One of the sisters at Holy Wisdom has a niece who is a friend of mine, who is an IHM Sister in Monroe, Michigan. I went there many, many years ago, and would love to go back. It's a wonderful place, in my opinion.

I was once supposed to do research at St. Gertrude's in Idaho, but there was an early blizzard (last week of September!), and I couldn't get there. Maybe someday, though they did send me some of their histories....

Unfortunately I didn't have any personal contact with the sisters due to very severe COVID restrictions.  Although I was "present" at Mass and LOTH, I really wasn't as I had to keep myself extremely distanced.  For example, they prayed the LOTH in the church together, but I had to sit outside by myself in the narthex and strain to listen and quietly participate on my own.  

Nunsuch, I know from other forums over the years that we acknowledge (and respect) the fact we're sit on different poles of the theological spectrum at times :)).  That said, if I had been able to have some interaction with the sisters perhaps my comments would be different.

Yes, the setting is absolutely beautiful and conducive to one's spiritual "health."  In fact, I'm planning on doing another retreat there in the spring/summer of 2022 if possible.  Guest House vs. Hermitage?  Hard choice!  But who knows what will happen with this new COVID variant...and the next one...and the next one..........

3 hours ago, Feankie said:

Unfortunately I didn't have any personal contact with the sisters due to very severe COVID restrictions.  Although I was "present" at Mass and LOTH, I really wasn't as I had to keep myself extremely distanced.  For example, they prayed the LOTH in the church together, but I had to sit outside by myself in the narthex and strain to listen and quietly participate on my own.  

Nunsuch, I know from other forums over the years that we acknowledge (and respect) the fact we're sit on different poles of the theological spectrum at times :)).  That said, if I had been able to have some interaction with the sisters perhaps my comments would be different.

Yes, the setting is absolutely beautiful and conducive to one's spiritual "health."  In fact, I'm planning on doing another retreat there in the spring/summer of 2022 if possible.  Guest House vs. Hermitage?  Hard choice!  But who knows what will happen with this new COVID variant...and the next one...and the next one..........

And this is one of the reasons why there is such a range of community charisms and "personalities"! All are valid and all are gifts. When Chapter 17 of the Gospel of John says that "in Yahweh's mansion there are many rooms," this is one of the things I always think of. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 4:52 AM, Dymphna said:

This sounds really nice. Because it seems this community is able to really welcome older discerners and see their (potential) vocation as a gift, which is unusual. I saw they also have a co-housing project for single women who want to live Benedictine spirituality, but without the commitment of becoming a nun.

This sounds like a new wave of alternative religious life-styles which is taking hold. Women not professed for life, but who want to live a type of religious life. Especially the Benedictines seem to have adopted this, which can be adapted to their vow of Stability, remaining in one place. 

Sort of "claustral oblates", a concept which  has been around for centuries.