An Old School Catholic Message Board

2022 Entrances, Vows and Ordinations

Pax17

On March 3, I will be formally installed into the Ministry of Acolyte in the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

I hope, God willing, to be ordained as a Permanent Deacon on Oct 1 of this year as well.

There are 18 of 'us' in the class of 22, one of which is Maronite (we are unsure of his ordination date). Please pray for our families, those charged with our formation, and for us.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its great that Glencairn has two younger entrants. They have got a really good website with a few interesting videos which are well worth watching.  They seem a very cheerful and down to earth community

DisplayNameBlock
On 3/30/2022 at 1:31 PM, lay associate said:

The Handmaids have an aspirant working very hard to enter.https://rescuevocations.org/Chrissy/  Laboure does such wonderful work.  It would be great if anyone could help her or any of her fellow aspirants to be able to enter formation sooner.

Anyone ever been in touch with Laboure?  I've tried to a few times, to no avail! 

I just don't really agree with these people asking others to pay  their debts. And what  happens if they leave religious life.  Are those benefactors repaid. I think it's a worrying trend.

DisplayNameBlock
47 minutes ago, GraceUk said:

I just don't really agree with these people asking others to pay  their debts. And what  happens if they leave religious life.  Are those benefactors repaid. I think it's a worrying trend.

Just a slight counterargument: I'm assuming you live in the UK, but here in the US, a lot of people leave higher education with mountains of debt, in a way that I'm not really sure can be framed as the fault of the person (Laboure, I believe, only fundraises to pay off student debt).  Surely any consenting adult would realize there would be the possibility that the person would leave religious life eventually.  If a person fundraises to get an artistic project off the ground, can they guarantee donors it will be a financial or critical success?  

You are right there is a different system in the UK. And it isn't ideal either. Basically  you apply for a student loan.  At the end of your studies you start to pay it back when  you get a job earning over a certain amount. The more you earn the bigger the monthly  amount you pay back. This is deducted at source. 

Some  parents do try to help their children out where they can so as to reduce the amount of loan they  need. People don't as a rule expect strangers to pay their student debt.,

I might be wrong, not being from the UK, but I know a young man from Wales who entered RL with some student debt and his paying it back wasn't expected when he wasn't earning money. As GraceUK said, it's based on what you earn, what you pay back and because he wasn't earning at all, he didn't pay anything for those couple of years. His loan just hung static?

In the end he left RL and started a job. When he started earning again, he had to start paying his student loan debt again.