An Old School Catholic Message Board

2022 Entrances, Vows and Ordinations

Pax17

Thst's right. You don't pay back if you don't earn anything.  But the interest due accumulates I think. 

DisplayNameBlock
On 4/1/2022 at 4:26 PM, GraceUk said:

You are right there is a different system in the UK. And it isn't ideal either. Basically  you apply for a student loan.  At the end of your studies you start to pay it back when  you get a job earning over a certain amount. The more you earn the bigger the monthly  amount you pay back. This is deducted at source. 

Some  parents do try to help their children out where they can so as to reduce the amount of loan they  need. People don't as a rule expect strangers to pay their student debt.,

Yes I know there is student debt there (I lived there for a while) but generally speaking it tends not to be as onerous as it is here.  I don't think anyone is "expect[ing] strangers" to pay it off.  It's charity.  People who think it's a worthy cause, give to it.  Perhaps these aspirants' families are not in a position to help them.  

I could be wrong, but I think the way it works with Laboure is that they make the student loan payments for the candidate and then pay the loans off entirely if and when the candidate complete final vows. I think if they leave, they are asked to repay what they can, when they can, of what Laboure laid out. 

DisplayNameBlock

Totally coincidentally I came across this recent Wall Street Journal article on Laboure today.  Not really much more informative than this discussion here but maybe worth a read if anyone is interested:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-student-debt-stands-in-the-way-of-religious-poverty-11648292401?fbclid=IwAR07QmOS1GUvCghpOv60smHtIOnz8h-Ifirp3ST_S5XRmbNt-8PEv3jBxcM

• 2 weeks later...
catholicamama
On 3/31/2022 at 7:59 PM, GraceUk said:

I just don't really agree with these people asking others to pay  their debts. And what  happens if they leave religious life.  Are those benefactors repaid. I think it's a worrying trend.

As someone who has paid at least once, I can tell you when they leave they don't pay you back. I don't even think I was thanked. It doesn't matter though because at the time I was doing what I thought was right. I would like to think that the person intended to persevere but for whatever reason they discerned out.

Edited by catholicamama
Typo

I think I read you need to repay if you leave order but I'm not sure how that is done. I remember reading about a woman who wanted to enter an order in NYC but had a lot of debt. She needed to have it repaid and a "go fund me" helped and others. She left after a year (order thought it best, not her) but I do wonder with some people not always being "perfect" if they would take advantage of charities. I assume (hopefully not wrong) there are contingencies with those payments.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:39 AM, debc said:

if they would take advantage of charities.

That is why the Laboure Society and Mater Ecclesia are so good. The Laboure Society actually makes the candidates do quite a bit of work before qualifying for payments. Maybe Mater Ecclesia does, too, but I don't know. Both only make the monthly payment while the person is in the religious community and pay it in full at final profession. I don't know of any community that has not accepted this arrangement. I guess someone could take advantage of these charities and tough it out just for the sake of the student loan payments, but I highly doubt it.  

On the other hand "Go Fund Me" is not really contingent on anything, and if they leave a community for valid reasons, they can face a lot of guilt for large good faith donations that they are not in a position to be able to repay. So, it's a losing situation for someone like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...