An Old School Catholic Message Board

2022 Entrances, Vows and Ordinations

Pax17

• 2 weeks later...

On the contrary! Not all of Summit's postulants, novices, or juniors make solemn vows, but a good many have. Over the course of the last 20 years or so, I'd say they've had 12 to 15 make solemn vows. I can't name those 12 to 15, but if you search their website you might be able to find a group photograph. You'd see that at the younger sisters outnumber the older sisters. 

1 hour ago, DisplayNameBlock said:

On that note (the Summit note), does anyone know if this woman remained at the community?  This photo project was really lovely.

https://slate.com/culture/2015/09/toni-greaves-radical-love-a-look-at-a-young-womans-life-in-a-cloistered-monastery-photos.html

I looked on the web site. I don't find a list of the names of the nuns, or even a whole-community photograph, so I don't know if Sister Maria Teresa of the Sacred Heart (this woman's new name in religion when she received the habit) made solemn vows in the community. But I did find this tidbit on the Community page of the web site: "Currently the community comprises of about 20 nuns from the ages of 26-91 with a median age of 36. The nuns come from 14 different states and 5 different countries."

Edited by Luigi

1 hour ago, Luigi said:

I looked on the web site. I don't find a list of the names of the nuns, or even a whole-community photograph, so I don't know if Sister Maria Teresa of the Sacred Heart (this woman's new name in religion when she received the habit) made solemn vows in the community.

Sister Maria Teresa is in the header photograph on this page, on the right hand side, back row. She is wearing what appears to be some sort of neck brace/support.

9 hours ago, DisplayNameBlock said:

On that note (the Summit note), does anyone know if this woman remained at the community?

I'm coming out of lukerdom to ask respectfully, why do you need to know?

I'm uncomfortable with people discussing individuals who may not know that they and their private lives are being discussed in public. Whether this woman or any woman remains in religious life is not our business. Let's take the high road and not gossip.

DisplayNameBlock

IDK, pure curiosity?  She did consent to being in a photography project about her vocational journey, so there's a degree of public-ness about her journey.  I can definitely see how it could come across as gossipy, though––apologies!  

Sister Maria Teresa made final vows.  On Summit's FB page, a man commented that he was sorry that Sister had left the community.

Sr Mary Catharine OP
On 10/18/2022 at 10:05 AM, Isabella said:

Summit Dominicans have a new postulant.  They seem to have a few every year but rarely do they stay.  I guess this must be common for contemplative communities.  https://summitdominicans.org/blog/2022/10/welcome-sister-natalie

They just had a solemn profession, another sister is renewing her profession this November, there are 2 in temporary vows, 2 novices and a postulant. 
They had a few postulants that left but that is normal for any community. Most active communities that have classes of 8-10-20 postulants have about 50% leave by final vows. So, if a community has 1 or 2 postulants a year or every other year it can seem like most leave but that isn't true.
Right now, MOST of the nuns at Summit have been there 15 years or less with only a few older sisters. The NUMBERS haven't changed that much because there were a lot of older sisters who finished their earthly course and went to the monastery in Heaven!

Edited by Sr Mary Catharine OP

I think I'd like to respond briefly to what @littlebell and @DisplayNameBlock were talking of... I also have a curiosity to know if someone 'stayed the course' so to speak, or if they felt called elsewhere. I don't think it's out of gossip or criticism... but just a general desire to know where the Lord is leading people. I know curiosity can be bad and lead to gossip, and I'm very glad the question was asked about motivations and why we 'need to know', but I hope it just inspires wonder at God's providence, rather than judgement or criticism... which I don't think is the motivation on this forum. Given the nature of this thread, I think anyone posting or lurking here are mostly interested in supporting those who 'try' religious life, who discern God's call (or try to) and see where that takes them- even if that means a return to lay life.