An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Sacred Artwork - Thoughts?

benedictaaugustine

benedictaaugustine

I thought I’d share my artwork here, I’ve been painting these for about a year and half now! I once went viral on Tiktok for these and people went insane arguing about Jesus in particular lol. But I love the art I do but I’m starting to dry out of ideas… I’m working on St Joseph right now, but any saint suggestions?

Here’s a link to the rest of my pics:  https://www.magnificatprints.com/shop

683-D238-D-F927-4-A65-956-A-C623788141-E

8-FBAFFAB-8-AD2-491-F-AA3-C-E33667-D15-C

67-A0-EBA9-B7-D7-4908-A40-D-77163-EAC27-

I want to see paintings of Mary doing everyday Mom stuff - in actual *labor* in the stable, baking bread, knitting Jesus' seamless garment, wringing out laundry, sweeping, packing for the road trip to Jerusalem where Jesus stayed in the temple.

I don't mean to denigrate existing art that depicts Mary in prayer/contemplation (The Annunciation, or Mater Admirabilis), or praying by the manger, or presenting Fat Baby Jesus to the viewer, or ascending into heaven, or sitting on a heavenly throne, or protecting crowds of people under  her mantle - all of that is good and worthy of artistic representation. But I also think of Mary as the epitome of "The worthy woman" (Proverbs 21:10) - we chose that reading for my grandmother's funeral and my mom's, and I can't imagine Mary being our Holy (But Slack) Mother.

I also think Mary was present when Elizabeth delivered John the Baptist - God worked it out providently so that Mary would learn about pregnancy, labor & delivery, breastfeeding, by observing and assisting her kinswoman. 

Just a thought - take it for what it's worth. 

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant. Your art is beautiful, and I believe, very important and necessary. I definitely plan on purchasing some of your images. Thank you and please keep it up.

• 1 month later...

I loved Mother of Sorrows. I also saw one of a younger Mary in contemplation.

I've always wanted to see a depiction of Our Lady of Lourdes as Saint Bernadette saw her - that is, around her own age at the time. Bernadette was disappointed when the statue they put up in the Grotto was of Mary as an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

I think these are so amazing and beautiful.

I read a thread years ago about pictures of nuns looking unhappy/just normal/not smiling all the time. I was intrigued and now I'm totally 'into' seeing pics of nuns who look 'normal', who are still joyful in disposition but not laughing or grinning. It's cool. I wonder if you could do that in your paintings? It could be interesting to explore, especially because you're so talented!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the skin-tones you use. Often, Jesus and saints from The Bible are portrayed as white instead of how they likely would've looked in that part of the world.