An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brutal discrimination in the church

PadrePio

in recent months we have seen many  high ranking church men from the Vatican and some religious orders  traveling  to Ukraine as a sign of solidarity with the people suffering from the war

This makes me ask the question "Are European lives more valuable than non European lives for the  leadership in the catholic church? 

Case in point  - Ethiopian war

There has been a much deadlier war going on there. 

War+starvation has killed half a million people in the last 16 months as per some estimates  and no rich countries nearby to take those who flee the war.

Not criticising the Pope on this matter but 

he did send 2 Cardinals to Ukraine recently as a sign of solidarity but as far as I know the he hasn't sent any Cardinals to Ethiopia..

The Pope asked us to  pray rosary for the war in Ukraine to end but no such exhortation for the war in Ethiopia to end 

The Pope consecrated Ukraine along with Russia along with bishops of the world but no consecration of Ethiopia along with the bishops of the world. 

The word catholic does have a meaning  "universal", but are we seeing a church in which mainly European problems get attention.

Edited by PadrePio
copy paste error fixed

Credo in Deum

Amen.  The silence going in regards to the Ethiopian civil war is deafening.   

"Not criticising the Pope on this matter but 

he did send 2 Cardinals to Ukraine recently as a sign of solidarity but as far as I know the he hasn't sent any Cardinals to Ethiopia..

The Pope asked us to  pray rosary for the war in Ukraine to end but no such exhortation for the war in Ethiopia to end 

The Pope consecrated Ukraine along with Russia along with bishops of the world but no consecration of Ethiopia along with the bishops of the world. "

Ummm, it sure sounds like your criticizing the pope on this matter...

Do you know how many Catholics there are in Ethiopia? Something like half a million... I suppose they have a bishop, but it's not like Ukraine where the whole country is or has been Catholic...

You don't need the pope's permission to pray the rosary for the war to end in Ethiopia. Even if no one else is doing it, you can...

The question of consecrating a country is fairly new and open to discussion. I mean, why doesn't the pope just consecrate every country on the face of the earth, whether they want him to or not? Once and done, know what I mean? 

The other thing is you should probably write out a list, an agenda, of what you want the pope to do, and then you can send it to him so he knows what to do next in his papacy. Because he doesn't really have any other important matters to deal with and I'm sure he wants suggestions from every ... oh, never mind. 

but it's not like Ukraine where the whole country is or has been Catholic...

Ethiopia is even mentioned in Bible, but not  Ukraine, 

Ukraine catholic population is only about 10%, perhaps  see what was ethiopian catholic population in the past

Hna.Caridad

Actually, Pope Francis has spoken out several times about the war in Ethiopia.  He spoke out in November of 2020:

https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2020-11/pope-francis-appeal-tigray-ethiopia-conflict-peace.html

He spoke out in June of 2021:

He spoke out in November of 2021:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/pope-decries-ethiopias-humanitarian-crisis-urges-dialogue-81020542

My question is:  what happened that PadrePio suddenly started caring about Ethiopia in May of 2022?  Could it have been brutal discrimination against Africans that kept PadrePio from speaking out about what is happening in Ethiopia before now?

On 5/11/2022 at 2:28 AM, Hna.Caridad said:

1. How many times Pope has spoken out against Ethiopian war vs Ukraine? something like 3 vs 10?

2. How many Cardinals sent to Ethiopia? -most probably 0 

3. Did Pope ask Catholics to pray rosary for Ethiopia? No as far as I know

4. No consecration of Ethiopia  to Immaculate heart done by Pope along with Bishops

Until Ukraine war started there was no reference for comparison.

So whatever that Ethiopia I would assume whatever  support  Ethiopia got was the norm, but no norms being set now

Vatican has ambassadors to most countries unlike me who has only the media to know about whats happening in the world..So excuse my ignorance there

Edited by PadrePio
NA