An Old School Catholic Message Board

The culture barrier is real

dUSt

1 hour ago, Nihil Obstat said:

@dUStnot to blow my own horn or anything, but I am now an officially certified anti-racist. :smokey:

giphy.gif

Lilllabettt
On 5/19/2022 at 12:38 PM, fides' Jack said:

I don't buy it.  There isn't a single voter base that is pro-racism (at least not anti-black racism).  Not for any of the major political parties.

I challenge you to find a single political candidate, republican or otherwise, above city mayor, who hasn't ever spoken out publicly against racism.  Even your neighborhood HOA wouldn't vote in somebody if there was any question about racist views.

It's political suicide, in just about every area, and in just about every level of politics.

Idk... don't go looking too hard at the house of representatives. There are some real kooky people in that legislative body

fides' Jack
On 5/20/2022 at 4:34 PM, dUSt said:

No. Democratic abortion policies targeting black and minority neighborhoods are totally racist. I don’t see much difference between the people that make up each party when it comes to racism.

Agreed.

I lean more that way every day. It’s two parties who are only interested in power, and will change policies at the drop of a hat if they think it will win more votes. 

Ah, ok, this answer is telling.  I'm using "conservative" as an adjective, kind of like "traditional".  Perhaps I'm using the word incorrectly.  It certainly wouldn't be the first time I've made a mistake like that.

Of course not. That’s why your premise of “find an anti-black” politician is a bit absurd.

I'm glad you explained that, and that I asked these questions.  I agree, it is absurd.  I was using the absurd to try to illustrate a point that, based on your answers, now appears unnecessary.  I think we agree more than disagree on this, after all.

Republican policies that consistently oppose laws that attempt to create equity (healthcare, student loans, etc) are anti-black, but disguised. 

I think we would agree on this in certain cases, but it would depend on the specifics of each law and circumstances.

This is an absurd question. Lol. 

I do disagree here.  It's not an absurd question.  Because while anti-black racism is more subtle and disguised, and is now mostly cultural, anti-white racism is now in full swing, completely open, and is itself an attempt to make anti-black racism more of an issue than it really is by pitting people with different skin colors against each other.  

Can we agree that schools, from kindergarten through universities, and movies and TV, and BLM protestors, should not be telling anyone they are bad because of their skin color?

Edited by fides' Jack

Guy in the video is wrong. I know everything.

In all seriousness though I knew about most of the stuff he mentioned. It really bothers people when they learn my knowledge of black history/culture is fairly broad, and that I've still come to a different conclusion. No expert but I am a casual consumer and studier.

One giant, gaping problem is that Racism is a word that doesn't mean anything anymore. You need to consider that maybe folk are tired of playing these dumb word games.

Like years ago it was a really witty retort to say "black people can't be racist per say, because they don't have institutional power," and for the most part people didn't understand the entire ideological framework behind a claim like that and just dumbly nodded along.

I, for one, swallowed it whole without much question. I was a total keyboard warrior and SJW bleeding heart back in the day. Not sure how far back the history on this site goes but you can scroll through my old posts and see for yourself if you are really curious.

Yeah, I've changed. I'm racist, homophobic, transphobic, all the phobias and also have internalized-misogyny. These words don't mean anything anymore. They are just slurs for people you disagree with nowadays. Maybe if we flung them around a little less they would actually regain some meaning.

13 hours ago, Ice_nine said:

Yeah, I've changed. I'm racist, homophobic, transphobic, all the phobias and also have internalized-misogyny. These words don't mean anything anymore. They are just slurs for people you disagree with nowadays. Maybe if we flung them around a little less they would actually regain some meaning.

Totally agree, but how can we internet troll if we have to limit their usage?

8 hours ago, dUSt said:

Totally agree, but how can we internet troll if we have to limit their usage?

Be more creative

Nihil Obstat
On 5/21/2022 at 8:07 PM, dUSt said:

giphy.gif

I feel like this is levelling up the "I have a black friend" defense. And this is important to me because, being in an area with a relatively small Black community (less than 3%) and a much larger Asian community (well over 20%), I actually do not have any black friends. I am poorer for it.

Anastasia13
4 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

I feel like this is levelling up the "I have a black friend" defense. And this is important to me because, being in an area with a relatively small Black community (less than 3%) and a much larger Asian community (well over 20%), I actually do not have any black friends. I am poorer for it.

That’s cool. I feel like The rainbow may be a promise from God, but it’s also beauty and color in life, just like the cultures we all bring to a community, even if yellow isn’t my favorite color.

D25F400F-3E57-4AB9-B6E2-4F2F98FD5E76.png

Edited by Anastasia13
Can I sound less stupid saying that?

I've been thinking about this topic for several years now. There is a real kind of cultural  barrier; it exists. Now I did not watch that video but I do feel like there is a cultural barrier. The focus for me is in the church.  unfortunately, I think that there is a perception that if I don't see people that look like me there, I don't think I really belong there. The barrier has to do with welcoming and being welcomed. Truth is for everyone not just for a privileged majority.  A mindful, creative drive should exist to foster more representation is needed in order to diffuse the perception of not being welcomed. Anyway, I'm not sure if I can articulate it well at the moment – – But Father Joshua Johnson has spoken about this issue and has recently written a book called, " On Earth as It Is in Heaven: Restoring God's Vision of Race and Discipleship"

Things will only get worse as we all assign motives to others only as we perceive them.  BLM perceives US society as fundamentally racist and since the Whites are the majority, how can that ever change.   Whites are racist because they’re White.  

There is no solution when White or Black are evil because of their skin color in society.   There will only be mistrust, suspicion, resentment.   The progenitors of fear and cheerleaders for hate.  

• 4 weeks later...

Am reading Uncle Tom’s Cabin at the moment.    Incredibly powerful and enlightening and provides an interesting lens to view today’s circumstances.  

Since student loans were brought up, I oppose them in any case since they are an example of usury, and also in any case contribute heavily towards the high cost of education. No idea where that falls on the racism scale, but you can start my sentencing now.

Edited by chrysostom

I just want to go on record to say racism smells of elderberries and dUSt's wife is incredibly good looking

Okay, I may be little slow but I don't see the connect with the "overturning of roe vs wade SC decision" and the LGBT Community fears about losing freedoms.

https://apnews.com/article/us-supreme-court-new-york-gender-identity-gay-rights-parades-6a1dacbc824c2be821cc659595e7ea3c

They're completely unrelated.  Pardon my expression but this fear mongering seems a little qwerty. fear-mongering.jpg

They actually are not unrelated if you read Justice Thomas's concurrence. He explicitly says that the rationale for overturning Roe is the same as what could be used to overturn Lawrence and Obergefell.

See, for example, this: https://www.vox.com/2022/6/24/23181723/roe-v-wade-dobbs-clarence-thomas-concurrence

Note the writing of Justice Thomas, not any opinion of mine or anyone else. Here is what he said:

'In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is “demonstrably erroneous,” we have a duty to “correct the error” established in those precedents.' [Griswold was the birth control decision in the mid-1960s.]

Edited by Nunsuch
additional information