An Old School Catholic Message Board

Texas shooter and gender dysphoria?

dUSt

4 hours ago, debc said:

You can have no history of mental illness and still have it. Some families don't believe in getting help for it and ignore symptoms or make excuses for them.

Yes, I understand that. My only point is that he passed the background checks (or could have, even if Texas doesn't require them). If background checks look for prior criminal behavior and past-or-current mental illness, he still would have been able to buy the guns. No net catches every fish. 

2 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Here is an actual article demonstrating that the rumor of a trans woman doing the shooting is a hoax. Can people please do some simple checking before posting stuff? This took me all of 20 seconds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/trans-womans-photo-used-spread-baseless-online-theory-texas-shooter-rcna30511

That article wasn't online yet, so it might have taken you 20 seconds, but it would not have appeared in search the day before it was actually posted.

Anastasia13
4 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Here is an actual article demonstrating that the rumor of a trans woman doing the shooting is a hoax. Can people please do some simple checking before posting stuff? This took me all of 20 seconds.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-news/trans-womans-photo-used-spread-baseless-online-theory-texas-shooter-rcna30511

Was going to share the same article, but re 20 seconds to check: compare the date and time of the article with the date and time of the OP. Article is the date after the OP in my time zone.

OK. It's true that the story I found was published after the OP here and for that I apologize. But there was literally zero credible evidence for the "gender dysphoria" allegations and all the rest from any reliable sources. I'm of course less concerned that people here re-posted, but that such obviously problematic sources (4chan?) were believed by public officials and others is disturbing.

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

OK. It's true that the story I found was published after the OP here and for that I apologize. But there was literally zero credible evidence for the "gender dysphoria" allegations and all the rest from any reliable sources. I'm of course less concerned that people here re-posted, but that such obviously problematic sources (4chan?) were believed by public officials and others is disturbing.

Agreed, that's why I edited the post and removed it. I remember Peter West from Catholic Answers so I trusted his post just out of association. :(

On 5/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, dUSt said:

Agreed, that's why I edited the post and removed it. I remember Peter West from Catholic Answers so I trusted his post just out of association. :(

Don't beat yourself up dUst, we all pulled the trigger a little tpo fast at some point.

You've corrected, performed mea culpa, now let's move on...

How about them Stanley Cup playoffs eh?!

little2add
18 hours ago, Didacus said:

we all pulled the trigger a little tpo fast at some point

Kind of a unfortunate use of a Metaphor,  you said

13 hours ago, little2add said:

Kind of a unfortunate use of a Metaphor,  you said

Oops... that was unintentional...

• 3 weeks later...