An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gender Ideology

fides' Jack

The whole thing is quite self-contradictory.

My question is if some people are non-binary, why should the binary system in itself be scrapped all together?  The binary has worked rather well for humanity the last thousand upon thousands of years and it is what ensures reproductiin in nature is it not?  It can't be all that bad wheen you think of it.

On 6/10/2022 at 1:24 PM, Didacus said:

some people are non-binary

if a man needs to dress up like a woman then by all means use the ladies room when your out in public.

Nobody needs to (or wants) know.  A little discretion and comon courtesy goes along way. 

Screen-Shot-2022-06-11-at-9-31-42-PM.png

Edited by little2add

Anastasia13
On 6/9/2022 at 9:20 PM, dUSt said:

What I never understood is if gender shouldn’t matter, why all the insistence on being a specific gender?

Yes! Let’s draw the line at sex. You have a sex. How you express that is up to you and doesn’t change your sex.

1 hour ago, Nunsuch said:

There is a difference between gender and sex. 

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/difference-between-sex-and-gender

It's a contrived difference. They used to mean the same thing. Academics who stand to make a name for themselves (and money), contrived the difference. They could have contrived ways to help people with gender dysphoria deal with it, but they chose to go in another direction. 

15 hours ago, Anastasia13 said:

Yes! Let’s draw the line at sex. You have a sex. How you express that is up to you and doesn’t change your sex.

Make sense to me. 

3 hours ago, Luigi said:

It's a contrived difference. They used to mean the same thing. Academics who stand to make a name for themselves (and money), contrived the difference. They could have contrived ways to help people with gender dysphoria deal with it, but they chose to go in another direction. 

Web MD is not a site for academics. And if you think that theorists make a lot of money--guess again. Further, the medical profession has not referred to "dysphoria" for over half a century--which is actually longer than it was considered an illness. This is not the site for debating this, but facts are facts. 

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

Web MD is not a site for academics. And if you think that theorists make a lot of money--guess again. Further, the medical profession has not referred to "dysphoria" for over half a century--which is actually longer than it was considered an illness. This is not the site for debating this, but facts are facts. 

Medical facts from Web MD have nothing to do with Catholic theology. 

17 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

But they do have to do with the definitions of sex and gender. 

But the purpose of this board is to Preach Holy Apostolic Truth. And Holy Apostolic Truth doesn't change with the changing fads introduced by the academic world. And if this is not the place to debate the question - which I think is very dismissive of you - then let's move it to the Debate Table. 

On 6/9/2022 at 11:20 PM, dUSt said:

What I never understood is if gender shouldn’t matter, why all the insistence on being a specific gender?

Ah! You're error is in assuming is that "gender shouldn't matter." In fact, gender is now the primary definition of a person - at least in certain circles, those pushing the gender ideology.

In the past, people defined themselves by their family, their socioeconomic status, their nationality, their hometown/state, their profession, their religion, maybe by their virtues if they were serious about progressing in the spiritual life. But all of that has been put aside in post-modern America, and now "I am my sexuality." 

Another influence - or at least connection - is that American pop culture has always defined "love" as something that can't be managed. Pop songs, movies, novels, TV shows, all repeat that "I can't help it if I'm still in love with you," we fall in love (as opposed to making a conscious decision to act in the best interests of the other person), "I can't help myself, I love you and nobody else," "I'm just a link in your 'chain of fools," and on and on and on. And the gender ideology is based on the same assumption - hidden somewhere deep with me is the real me, the me that wants this or that but not the other thing, and for me to understand who I am, I have to figure out what I want. (what we long for defines us). And when I find it, then I should have it, because that's who I really and truly am, and I can't do anything about that - I can't change it, I can't resist it, I can't manage it, I can't redirect it. Because I'm helpless in the face of this overwhelming ME-ness (or something). But not everything a person wants is good for the person (or for the other people the person does it with-or-to). That's obvious to a lot of people, but not to the gender-identity industry.

Credo in Deum
On 6/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, Nunsuch said:

There is a difference between gender and sex. 

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/difference-between-sex-and-gender

There isn't a difference and the world didn't view gender or sex as being anything but synonymous with each other. 

https://www.etymonline.com/word/gender

It wasn't until Dr. John Money invented gender ideology in the 60's did people start drinking the kool-aid that sex and gender are two completely different things. There is no science whatsoever to support this claim either, it is just ideology. 

So, on science, you want me to accept an unfounded assertion by an anonymous poster on this message board, rather than WebMD? Got it. Makes enormous sense.