An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican nuns in the uk

Hannie_f

Hey, entirely out of curiosity, but why does the UK have no Dominican nuns? We have Dominican sisters, friars.  There is a monastery of op nuns in Ireland but while in the past there have been convents and monasteries of Dominican nuns in England there aren't today. What happened? Is it a cultural thing?

There were Dominican nuns on the Isle of Wight 'til the 80s I think. They didn't have vocations though and so they closed (maybe there were other reasons too, not sure). Carrisbrooke - St Dominic's priory.

I don't think it would be cultural: there are many contemplative monasteries thriving in the UK... I would guess that no new foundation of nuns has been made as they were present until quite recently (if the 1980s is considered recent... which I think it is!). Maybe it's something for some flourishing Dominican contemplative nuns to consider! To make a new foundation of Dominican nuns in England! (But the Dominican nuns in Ireland are great I've heard, so maybe some English women will be attracted there too). 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Many of us are praying that someday the nuns will return to England. There were never more than 3 monasteries there and Dartford was taken over by Henry VIII. He wanted the priory for a summer home.

It takes 9 nuns to make a foundation and almost no monastery has enough nuns to send there to make a new monastery.

If UK women here interested in becoming Dominican contemplatives they would need to start out in another monastery and then go back. 

Thank you, both! I am Benedictine at heart but it was a Dominican nuns blog that showed me for the first time how beautiful monastic cloistered life is so I will pray too that a foundation may reach our shores one day soon. 

Edited by Hannie_f
clarity