An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Postulant's Discerning Journey from Texas

Francis Coffee

Francis Coffee

Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Postulant Michelle Ozuna introduces herself to our Sisters and to you.

I would like to thank the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity Community for being so welcoming. I am eager to visit with you all as my discernment journey permits. It is amazing to be back at the motherhouse, no longer as a visitor but as a postulant.

https://fscc-calledtobe.org/2022/09/05/meet-new-franciscan-postulant-from-austin-texas/

MIchelle-Postulant-and-Discerner-360x288

Her story is lovely, but I was surprised at the end that she'd only been baptized in 2021. I thought most communities expected candidates to be members of the Church for at least 3 years before admitting them.

In any event, I wish her well.

Me too! I thought there was some recommendation that postulants should be two years baptised. Not a canon law or anything- just some directive? But maybe it's just a 'prudent' thing and a common policy of some Orders. Anyway, as @Nunsuch said, I wish her all the best too! And people are, of course, ready at different times in their lives and this might just be 'her time'! 

I agree with Nunsuch - I recall that most communities (as well as seminaries for secular priests) required that converts had been Roman Catholic for three years. Once, when one of you posted a link about the Sisters of Life (whom I've never met), I very much liked that they mentioned that one needs a period of the grace of the sacraments before entrance. 

Of course, I wish this postulant every blessing. I was glad to see, on another thread, that there still are young people entering religious life. It saddens me to have seen the communities I knew best essentially die out.