An Old School Catholic Message Board

Servants of the Children of Light

St.JosephsRose

I went to the website and was surprised to see only Sr. Chiara Therese pictured.  No mention of any others in formation, etc. And there's no photos of any other women that I could fine. Just wondering if she is the only one in this fledgling community thus far. Just curious...no ulterior motive :))

52 minutes ago, Feankie said:

I went to the website and was surprised to see only Sr. Chiara Therese pictured.  No mention of any others in formation, etc. And there's no photos of any other women that I could fine. Just wondering if she is the only one in this fledgling community thus far. Just curious...no ulterior motive :))

If this is the case, it is not a "community," is it?

Their website has the diocesan decree from 2020 which clearly states that it's a Public Associate of the Faithful.

"Community" is one of those terms where there's a lay understanding of the word that is often at odds with the canonical understanding; much like "nun."

My use of “community” was not the best choice of words 😎. An oxymoron……a “community of 1”. 

And no, it has nothing to do with my “understanding” of  lay vs. canonical terminology. I’m very well versed in the differences between the two.  I’ll blame my brain fog on lack of caffeine this morning!

St.JosephsRose
5 hours ago, Feankie said:

It’s just her so far!! There are other girls in discernment still, but no one is in formation yet. Still a very new order.

Edited by St.JosephsRose

Lady Grey, Hot
1 hour ago, Feankie said:

An oxymoron……a “community of 1”. 

So the Trinity, amirite?

(I pretty obviously have no theological training, so if this is heresy, please don't burn me at the stake!)

If you read the research from CARA, you will see that very few of such efforts actually evolve into communities. Particularly in a place like North Dakota, with a lot of new efforts but not a lot of people, the likelihood that this will evolve into something is slim. Even if this would-be founder attracts two others who stay (the minimum for an actual community), that doesn't mean that it will survive beyond this initial stage. I don't say this to be discouraging, but to be realistic. 

If the original poster is interested in a community that works with young children, there are many, many established ones that carry out such a ministry. And most teaching communities would include this among their other apostolates. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can buy the CARA report. Might just do this. Nunsuch, I understand what you are getting at. There's the School Sisters of Notre Dame, various Franciscan orders, Dominicans, Religious Teachers Fillipini, etc. Many have been around for over 100 years or more like the Ursulines. But I guess it will just be a wait and see situation.

The problem as I see it is that many young ladies who are called to religious life prefer the Tridentine Mass and Office. Many of the established communities do not offer this nor are they even inclined to discern moving in that direction. Suggest as you probably will (because I've seen it before) about discerning outside of this consideration (the Tridentine Mass and Office), it is important to a certain segment and that's all there is to it. She is trying to fill a need -- probably not the best place to do so -- but there is certainly a need nonetheless.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2022 at 8:57 PM, HollyDolly said:

You can buy the CARA report. Might just do this. Nunsuch, I understand what you are getting at. There's the School Sisters of Notre Dame, various Franciscan orders, Dominicans, Religious Teachers Fillipini, etc. Many have been around for over 100 years or more like the Ursulines. But I guess it will just be a wait and see situation.

Desperate to buy the report but I live in the UK so can't send money to them through the post. I really wish they took PayPal!