An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Podcasts

Tessa

Does anyone know of/listen to podcasts which help their discernment? I've listened to Abiding Together very often, but it's sort of geared toward holiness in general or virtue and not vocational discernment. In the past I listened to A Nun's Life Ministry, which is very sweet but repetitive. 

Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Tessa! I would focus on YouTube videos or podcasts that have sisters/brothers/religious on them where they talk about their lives. I think for me this aided in understanding what the life is like when live in reality. Sometimes I think we over complicate the "discernment" process (speaking as someone who has been in the waiting stage of discernment for almost a decade now, and someone who very much over complicated the process for many years). It's really a time of deep prayer and information gathering. Pints with Aquinas has a lot of great clips and full episodes that I've found helpful, ones with Mother (then sister) Natalia are exceptionally great! I've linked my fav episode she was on below. 

Ah! Thanks so much for this @KaytePost! Someone had PMed me recommending Pints with Aquinas and an episode with Sr Natalia too! (Not this one though!). I have listened to Pints w/ Aqunias in the past, but I think maybe I've heard the wrong episodes- i.e. not interviewing Religious or speaking of religious life or anything! So I'm glad to know about this! :smile3:

Glencairn Abbey has some really good videos on their website about their way of life and some of the nuns talk about what brought them to Glencairn. Its a Cistercian Abbey in Ireland. They have a daughterhouse in the USA too. 

AveMariaPurissima

I second the recommendation of the Pints with Aquinas episodes with Mother Natalia! In addition to the episode linked to above, she was on the show two other times: Why Sr. Natalia Became a Nun | Pints with Aquinas Episode #208 and Mother Natalia & Mother Gabriella

The DSMME have a podcast called "The Truth Shall Set You Free" that focuses on discernment. It has a lot of vocation stories, and some info that is specific to their community, but there's also some material that would apply to discernment in general. I haven't seen any new videos in a while, but there are quite a lot of older ones if you want to take a look: The Truth Shall Set You Free