An Old School Catholic Message Board

"black friday" reminder (what would Jesus buy?)

ArciMoto

4x6-PC-an-inconvenient-black-friday-remi

FYI

There's A Staggering Conspiracy Behind The Rise Of Consumer Culture

Long before U.S. consumers racked up trillion in aggregate debt, people used to save money for things they actually needed.

But in the age of plenty that followed World War I, corporations countered the threat of overproduction with a manipulative psychological strategy.

"We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture," wrote Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers. "People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man's desires must overshadow his needs."

This conspiracy, enabled by new sophistication in advertising and supported by the government, was shockingly effective.

www.businessinsider.com/birth-of-consumer-culture-2013-2

Consumers Have a Bigger Impact on The Environment Than Anything Else, Study Finds

...according to a new study, if you want to know what’s really driving the impact on the planet, you need to look past the obvious primary factors taking a toll on the environment – like industry and agriculture – and instead realise whose needs those things are servicing.

From that perspective, researchers say household consumers are by far the biggest drain on the planet, which makes for a very different picture to purely nation-focused analyses of environmental impact. In other words, before we start blaming whole countries for the state of the planet, we should probably be looking at our own habits and demands.

www.sciencealert.com/consumers-have-a-bigger-impact-on-the-environment-than-anything-else-study-finds

Since Black Friday is associated with the start of the Christmas Season, consider,...

Matthew 19:16-24 

16 The Rich Young Man. Then a man came forward and asked him, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to achieve eternal life?” 17 He said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. But if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said, “Which ones?” And Jesus answered, “You shall not kill. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness. 19 Honor your father and your mother. Love your neighbor as yourself.”

20 The young man said to him, “I have observed all these. Is there anything more I must do?” 21 Jesus replied, “If you wish to be perfect, go, sell your possessions, and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this, he went away grieving, for he possessed great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Amen, I say to you, it will be difficult for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven.”

www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+19&version=NCB

PS FWIW

Religious Americans less worried about climate change, poll says

Most adults in the United States — including a large majority of Christians and people who identify with other religions — consider the Earth sacred and believe God gave humans a duty to care for it.

But highly religious Americans — those who pray daily, regularly attend religious services and consider religion crucial in their lives — are far less likely than other U.S. adults to express concern about global warming.

Those are among the key findings in a comprehensive report by the Pew Research Center, which surveyed 10,156 U.S. adults from April 11-17. Its margin of error for the full sample of respondents is plus or minus 1.6 percentage points.

www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2022-11-19/religious-americans-less-worried-about-climate-change-poll-says

Who believes Climate change is man-made?  

BTW: invoking Jesus in the silly little cartoon :lol3: above is disingenuous at the very least and  sacrilegious At most. 

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, little2add said:

Who believes Climate change is man-made?  

BTW: invoking Jesus in the silly little cartoon :lol3: above is disingenuous at the very least and  sacrilegious At most. 

FYI science tells me Climate change is man-made!

basically as the earth revolves around the sun each year, the amount of solar energy varies (so this is why it is warm durning the summer AND cooler durning the winter)

p15e-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

next science tells me over very long periods of time the earths orbit varies greatly,... for example when the earth moves away from the sun for very long periods of time the earth receives less solar energy AND this is why ice ages happen

p15f-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

science also tells me it is possible to measure the CO2 produced due to the chemical combustion process

p15g-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

science also tells me CO2 is a so called green house gas because it traps infrared energy

p15h-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

long story short,... at the moment looking at the earths orbit in geological time, the earth should be ever so slowly cooling down because it is ever so slowly moving away from the sun (in the diagram above showing how the earths orbit varies, notice the squiggly line is heading downward,... this is actually a calculation of energy per unit area which is possible to do for people who are "highly science literate")

FYI the reason I specifically mention "highly science literate" is the sad fact of the matter which is only 28% of the American people are considered "science literate"  (basically the big problem is the great majority of people have no clue what is happening because they are science illiterate)

https://science.nasa.gov/science-pink/s3fs-public/atoms/files/NASA CSL in 2016 Report_0_0.pdf

another advantage I have aside from having a physics degree to grasp what is happening is I have also received pilot training in flight school, so I understand that w/ man made climate change the jet stream is changing and is the reason why there are extreme weather events

p15k-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

long story short,... science tells me the planet should be ever so slowly cooling down because the earth is ever so slowly moving away from the sun BUT because science indicates there are much higher measured amounts of CO2 in the atmosphere which trap infrared energy,... the only science explanation to extreme warming events in the arctic regions, is because of mankind recklessly putting CO2 into the atmosphere

p15l-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

PS about being sacrilegious,...

p0-720p-thumbnail-the-power-of-positive-

just saying there are lots of so-called believers being religiously illiterate and leading many people astray because they worship money and material goods (prosperity theology)

The alarmists of climate have been at it for so long, they no longer have any legitimate standing in my opinion.

They no more have my attention than the conspiracy theorists who claim the pope is a lizard alien that eats children.

PS - did you hear about Greta deleting that end-of-the-world tweet?  HILARIOUS!  At least climate alarmists are good for an occasional laugh every now and again... I'll give them that... LOL!

• 3 months later...
On 3/15/2023 at 5:07 AM, Didacus said:

The alarmists of climate have been at it for so long, they no longer have any legitimate standing in my opinion.

it's basic human nature to frame how one sees the world from an individual's point of view,... so FWIW though I'd share an illustration of the most important idea I learned as student going though the catholic school system (which shows the first commandment as it relates to the theological teachings of Thomas Aquinas)

https://www.newadvent.org/summa/4041.htm

p15c01-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowl

basically as I see things it is important to keep in mind that that the devil is always trying to sway how an individual views an issue like climate change (or how one might worship a false god like money and material goods)

p15b-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

BarbTherese

7 hours ago, ArciMoto said:

it's basic human nature to frame how one sees the world from an individual's point of view,

In forming one's point of view, we do not have tunnel vision.  We take on board and sift through incoming information - and if one is wise and prudent, one will use prayerful discretion to what we retain on board and do not throw out in the sifting.  We will also use prayerful discretion to discern reliability of incoming information to be sifted.

I like to say that I do not put a full stop after anything, or not often do so.  I keep an open mind insofar as that is reasonable and logical.

Where global warming is concerned, I think it is probably quite normal that there is a certain percentage warming over extended earth periods; however, today that percentage has increased alarmingly compared with available previous recordings.  We call it global warming.  And if we do not attend to that problem insofar as we are now able, we are headed for potential destruction insofar as the previous mentioned percentages are concerned and available knowledge.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:05 PM, ArciMoto said:

it's basic human nature to frame how one sees the world from an individual's point of view,... so FWIW though I'd share an illustration of the most important idea I learned as student going though the catholic school system (which shows the first commandment as it relates to the theological teachings of Thomas Aquinas)

https://www.newadvent.org/summa/4041.htm

p15c01-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowl

basically as I see things it is important to keep in mind that that the devil is always trying to sway how an individual views an issue like climate change (or how one might worship a false god like money and material goods)

Not sure if you're making a point of support of what I said or trying to counter it...

but I love St. Thomas Aquinas, and to reread some of his content is always welcomed.

PS - welcome to phatmass!  *phatmass crowd cheers all around*, good to see you!

On 3/15/2023 at 5:07 AM, Didacus said:

PS - did you hear about Greta deleting that end-of-the-world tweet?  HILARIOUS!  At least climate alarmists are good for an occasional laugh every now and again... I'll give them that... LOL!

On 6/21/2023 at 6:10 AM, Didacus said:

Not sure if you're making a point of support of what I said or trying to counter it...

The original post, was intended to point out the false teachings of "The Prosperity Gospel" and relate it to the issue of man made climate change

https://catholicreview.org/radio-interview-the-prosperity-gospel/

...so I thought it would have been boring/unproductive to point out a link about a deleted tweet that pundits often repeat AND which IMHO isn't news worthy because, only an idiot can say with 100% confidence that they know exactly what is going to happen (in the short run),... but FYI fact is

Thunberg deleted a tweet that repeated an imprecise paraphrase of a climate scientist's 2018 seminar talk. While it is factual that she deleted this tweet, claims that the tweet argued humanity would end in 2023 are false. As such, we rate this claim as a "Mixture" of truth.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/greta-thunberg-deleted-2018-tweet-on-humanity/

basically the illustration(s) I shared depicting the devil, (from Greek diabolos, “slanderer” or “accuser”) on a shoulder was intended to hopefully make people of faith think that individuals who are very certain that climate change is a hoax (TRUMP for example, looking at some of his various tweets on the topic)

could in reality be a pawn, being used by the devil to destroy the only planet we have (as we know it),...

devils-pawn-takes-out-the-earth.png

said another way given Binsfeld's classification, people of faith should seriously be concerned about being used as a pawn by the devil

...as part of his 1589 Treatise on Confessions by Evildoers and Witches, CATHOLIC German theologian Peter Binsfeld prepared a classification of demons known as the Princes of Hell. Like the Lanterne of Light, Binsfeld used the seven deadly sins as a basis, though the two schemes differ in various ways.

Lucifer: pride
Mammon: greed
Asmodeus: lust
Leviathan: envy
Beelzebub: gluttony
Satan: wrath
Belphegor: sloth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Binsfeld

consider yet again there is another false conspiracy theory "news" reports of a NASA cover up,...

https://www.infowars.com/posts/flashback-nasa-admits-climate-change-occurs-because-of-changes-in-earths-solar-orbit-not-because-of-suvs-fossil-fuels/

As an undergrad physics student (many decades ago), was made aware of a paper published in 1976,... that man made conspiracy theory pawns (who take InfoWars "news" about NASA as gospel truth) seem to have missed (but the "hidden" paper mentioned by InfoWars can simply be found on the web if they knew to google some relevant key words "malinikivich cycle, ice age, 1970s paper")

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.194.4270.1121

Actually to see the latest "catholic answers" take on the topic (of climate change) did some googling,...

https://www.catholic.com/audio/cot/dialogue-what-should-catholics-do-about-climate-change

(which sorta is in line w/ another USA centric catholic organization "news" item from early 2023 which is of the opinion that CLIMATE CHANGE IS A SECULAR RELIGION)

https://www.catholicleague.org/climate-change-is-a-secular-religion/

Bottom line knowing what I know appears 99.999+ of the population has no idea or fundamental understanding the applicable math, physics AND chemistry,.... along with key theological ideas,... necessary to form an idea of the actual long term dangers posed by man made climate change

Fact is, given current trends of ever increasing CO2 concentrations in the earth's atmosphere (due to the consumption of various fossil fuels)

...so a few thousand years from now (which is a blink of an eye in terms of geological time),... knowing what I know about how things stand, what is eventually going to happen is,... global flooding on a biblical scale

p15l-720p-thumbnail-the-red-pill-knowled

https://grist.org/climate-energy/sea-levels-could-rise-22-feet-by-the-year-3000/

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/045401

fides' Jack
On 6/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, ArciMoto said:

Fact is, given current trends of ever increasing CO2 concentrations in the earth's atmosphere (due to the consumption of various fossil fuels)

...so a few thousand years from now (which is a blink of an eye in terms of geological time),... knowing what I know about how things stand, what is eventually going to happen is,... global flooding on a biblical scale

You should go back even further, where you'll find that CO2 levels used to be far, far higher than they are now.  And during that time the growth of vegetation on Earth was far higher, and supported far more and larger animal life. 

Global flooding is not going to happen overnight (at least not due to climate change).  As water rises, people will move away from coasts.  

CO2 is good for the Earth, and the best levels are much higher than they are now.

https://grist.org/climate-energy/sea-levels-could-rise-22-feet-by-the-year-3000/

This link you posted enforces my point.  It'll take a thousand years to rise 22 feet.

On 6/24/2023 at 10:57 PM, ArciMoto said:

(which sorta is in line w/ another USA centric catholic organization "news" item from early 2023 which is of the opinion that CLIMATE CHANGE IS A SECULAR RELIGION)

https://www.catholicleague.org/climate-change-is-a-secular-religion/

Yeah, because it is a secular religion.  It's worship of mother earth.  People have come to love the Earth more than they love God.  It's paganism, as seen by the ongoing pachamama scandal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2023 at 9:33 AM, fides' Jack said:

Global flooding is not going to happen overnight (at least not due to climate change).  As water rises, people will move away from coasts.  

CO2 is good for the Earth, and the best levels are much higher than they are now.

sigh,...

720p-thumbnail-The-Dunning-Kruger-effect

WRT "global flooding" its going to be slow by Hollywood movie blockbuster standards,... BUT global flooding it is going to cause chaos in the economy in states like Florida (because flood insurance is going to be expensive AND/OR unattainable)

https://news.climate.columbia.edu/2022/11/03/with-climate-impacts-growing-insurance-companies-face-big-challenges/

https://www.myfloridalegal.com/newsrelease/attorney-general-moody-fights-fema-lower-flood-insurance-rates-floridians

WRT CO2 being good for plant grown,... seems ya missed the science news about the fact that a side effect is crops will be less-nutritious

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/vanishing-nutrients/

https://scitechdaily.com/increasing-levels-of-co2-results-in-less-nutritious-crops/

FWIW put together a Doodly video of climate science from a catholic "theological" and biblical canon perspective 

ArciMoto, you seem to be outright invested in this aren't you?

Being 50 years old... I remember in little school how acid-rain was the disaster of the day and it was taught with fervor.

There was a stint of killer-bees as well.

There is always something being pushed that claims existential threat and its a tired old drumbeat.  When someone has been hearing it for nearly 5 decades, and nothing has come even close to happening (with nearly nothing done to prevent said disaster), one tends to do one of two things; 

1. repeat the drum beat, blindly, like a hypnotized follower.  

2. brush off the chatter and go on with their lives (all the while being diligent with regards to their own actions and decisions, but without the doomsday bearing down continuously).

Should we be mindful of the environment - of course.

Are we all going to die in the near future on account of the environment being destroyed - I think not, but time will tell I suppose.

fides' Jack
On 7/14/2023 at 9:32 PM, ArciMoto said:

WRT "global flooding" its going to be slow by Hollywood movie blockbuster standards,... BUT global flooding it is going to cause chaos in the economy in states like Florida (because flood insurance is going to be expensive AND/OR unattainable)

What a first-world concern...  Oh, no!  We won't be able to buy flood insurance in an area that always floods anyway!  

Correct.  And people will stop living in those flooded areas where you can't buy insurance, not because you can't buy insurance, but because it's flooded.

WRT CO2 being good for plant grown,... seems ya missed the science news about the fact that a side effect is crops will be less-nutritious

Yeah, I don't take blogs as scientific evidence.  Prove it.  It would make more sense for healthier plants to be more nutritious.  If you make a video like the one I posted growing the two side by side and then showing the detailed analysis of the nutritional factors, and also proving that we understand the nutrition correctly in the first place, you might have an argument.

Until then, you've admitted we get more plants, and healthier plants, from more CO2.  I take that as a win.

FWIW put together a Doodly video of climate science from a catholic "theological" and biblical canon perspective 

I disagree.  What you've put together is a video where the first half is actually kind of decent (though you did not demonstrate how it is that your opponents are falling into the Dunning-Kruger effect but you are not - it begs the question), but the second half is just regurgitating propaganda they teach in college.  None of the video really presents any kind of theological or biblical perspective, whether canon or not, and certainly not a Catholic one.  There's nothing about religion at all in the video, outside a critique of it. 

CO2 is greatly higher due to human activity.  That's a good thing.  It seems to me to be apparent that without it the world would be dying.  Increase CO2, increase life.  Decrease CO2, decrease plants, decrease oxygen, decrease life.

On 7/19/2023 at 8:14 AM, fides' Jack said:

Yeah, I don't take blogs as scientific evidence.  Prove it.  It would make more sense for healthier plants to be more nutritious.  If you make a video like the one I posted growing the two side by side and then showing the detailed analysis of the nutritional factors, and also proving that we understand the nutrition correctly in the first place, you might have an argument.

Until then, you've admitted we get more plants, and healthier plants, from more CO2.  I take that as a win.

My formal training isn't plant biology, but from what I gather reading various papers in field (and presentations I've seen) , the reason plants are grow bigger and are contain less nutrition (per unit volume), has to do with the density of "stomata" in leaves of plants (which play a role in of photosynthesis,... to produce sugars)

stoma_co2.gif

https://evolution.berkeley.edu/ancient-fossils-and-modern-climate-change/the-story-in-the-stomata/

a time lapse side by side video, can't show a plants nutritional content

as far as proving the Dunning-Kruger effect,... I've never taken a formal psychology class,... but do have my own analogy of an old proverb

720p-You-can-lead-a-horse-to-water-prove