An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another new group in Bismark, ND. Missionary Sisters of St.Joseph the Worker

HollyDolly

Been awhile since I've been here. Anyhow, while my  copier tech works on my machine here at work, thought I would look for a few communities. Anyhow, came across the Missionary Sisters of St.Joseph the Worker. Wasn't able to get into their website, will do it from home. Anyhow, not sure if they are an order from overseas, like Africa, Philipines or what. If thwey are not an order from  some forgien country, than this is the third community founded in the Diocese of Bismark. The other two being the St.Mary Dominicans and the Servants of the Children of Light.

Also, found another order called the  Missionary Sisters of St.John Paul II of Mary. Think they are from Africa.  The Carmelite Sisters of Mary ,ever Virgin are moving to the Diocese of Bridgeport Ct. from Meyersville ,Texas. Don't know why they chose Meyersville, there isn't that much there. The area around New Braunfels and Canyon Lake, east of San Antonio would still give them what they need, and would be better in recruiting vocations. The Mission of Divine Mercy consisting of priests ,brothers and sisters  is out in the Canyon Lake area east of here.

Think it was the Diocese of Bridgeport or Diocese of Portland ,Maine which has the Community of the Resurrection (founded from the Dominican Sisters of Bethany, plus saw another new group, the Sisters of the Cur'd Ars, named in honor of St.John Vianney. Their apostolate is to prayer for priests and work for priestly vocations. Are either a private or a public association of the faithful. So many keep springing up, you can't keep track of them all.

SorrowfulHeart

I'm discerning with the Carmelites of Mary Ever Virgin. I'm not sure exactly why they chose Meyersville originally, but it was a very quiet place and only about two hours away from Houston and San Antonio. They have about four discerners(including me) that all came from communities around Meyersville. And now, they're in Connecticut, and I get a letter from them about once every two months.

They are a very small community, only about two sisters(Sister Mary Ruth and Sister Maria). I've never quite gotten the Ancient Observance communities in America. There's only about four, and most of them only have four or five sisters living in the community. There's one in Wisconsin, but I don't think they're in communion with the Church. 

Anyway, my rant is over! Thanks for bringing attention to these communities! :)

2 hours ago, SorrowfulHeart said:

I'm discerning with the Carmelites of Mary Ever Virgin. I'm not sure exactly why they chose Meyersville originally, but it was a very quiet place and only about two hours away from Houston and San Antonio. They have about four discerners(including me) that all came from communities around Meyersville. And now, they're in Connecticut, and I get a letter from them about once every two months.

They are a very small community, only about two sisters(Sister Mary Ruth and Sister Maria). I've never quite gotten the Ancient Observance communities in America. There's only about four, and most of them only have four or five sisters living in the community. There's one in Wisconsin, but I don't think they're in communion with the Church. 

Anyway, my rant is over! Thanks for bringing attention to these communities! :)

The Wisconsin Community is very well established and definitely in communion with Rome. Don't know about the others. Communities with under 3 members are technically not "communities," by the way. At the very least, they are not eligible for diocesan or pontifical approbation.

Well Meyersville I believe is in either the Archdiocese of San Antonio, or the Diocese of Victoria, which was created out of San Antonio. While there are communities  around there, some like Praha, Moravia, High Hill, St.John, Hostyn and several others that are mainly German, Czech and Polish with some Hungarians thrown in, I don't know if the population area  would support a lot of candidates. However a community similar to Our Lady of Victory Missionary Sisters, Parish Visitors of Mary Immaculate , or Sisters, Home Visitors of Mary, might fair better with getting  recruits, because they are out among the people, teaching catechism classes, visiting homes,etc. Even if you had also a couple of sisters in the community who were LVNs or even better RNs who ran a clinic and checked on the elderly that might too attract  folks. I do wish them well. Just curious, what Carmel they came from.   The Carmelite Nuns in San Antonio belonged to the Discaled Carmelites and came here many years ago from Mexico. Think it was back in the 190s or a little earlier due to unrest from the various revolutions in Mexico. And thank you . I do see various communities like the Missionary Sisters of the Holy family and others, I don't know i anyone is aware of, like the Maryvale Sisters in Vale,N.C. I think they used to be known as the Servants of Mary, Help of the Clergy, not to be confused with the Antonian Sisters of Mary,Queen of the Clergy in Canada. The Maryvales have 4 or 5 sisters, and are small, though they have been around since the 1960s.

Also, the Daughters of Mary,Health of the Sick were founded in the 1940s or 50s and were in the book Convent Life, by Joan Lexcau Dial Press, 1964. Looked them up an apparently they disbanded in 1976. However the odd thing is their founder(forgot Father's name) also founded the Sons of Mary,Health of the Sick, and apparently they are still around.

SorrowfulHeart
On 11/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, Nunsuch said:

The Wisconsin Community is very well established and definitely in communion with Rome. Don't know about the others. Communities with under 3 members are technically not "communities," by the way. At the very least, they are not eligible for diocesan or pontifical approbation.

Oh, my apologies! I've never been able to find them on websites like cloistered life or deoestgloria, so I admit, I jumped to conclusions. Thank you for correcting me!

On 12/1/2022 at 11:05 AM, HollyDolly said:

Just curious, what Carmel they came from

The Carmelite Sisters of Mary ever Virgin came from the Carmel of Mary Monastery in North Dakota

Okay, the Missionary Sisters of St.Joseph the Worker are from Africa, I found this out through their website. Also found an order from the Phillipines named Missionary Sisters of the Lord's Table. They are in the Diocese of Lubbock ,Texas.

Okay thank you. I was looking up the Missionary sisters of St.Charles Borromeo, the Scalbarians, (may have misspelled that). Any how, came across an other group of sisters with that name also Italian supposedly founded in either 1996 or 2006 who are here in the states. Thought that was weird, as the ones I was looking for were in the book Convent Life (1964), and are still around in Illinois or New Jersey. Just thought that was odd.