An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is this quote familiar to anyone?

Lady Grey, Hot

Lady Grey, Hot

I recently came across this fragment of a quote on a message board post made fifteen years ago: "when the soul says to God for eternity, 'I don't want to love. I do not want to be loved. Just leave me to myself.'" I presume this is someone's description of Hell, but my web searching was not able to turn up whose. Can anyone give me a lead?

Can't say i am familiar with it... can you give a hint as to which message board perhaps?  Maybe a bit of context?

The quote does seem grim, and indeed describes at least in part a key element of damnation/hell.  Please handle with care.

Have you tried asking the person their source?

Here are many famous quotes on hell:

Quotes on hell

Haven't found one similar to the one you posted, but then again I haven't gone through them all as of yet...

I don't know the source of this quotation, but it sounds similar to a theological 'debate' ("rumble" might be a better word) I'm sort of following.

There's a theological movement afoot called universalism, led by David Bentley Hart of Notre Dame University and John Milbank of Nottingham University. They contend that all people who die go to heaven because God, being all-loving, could not possibly condemn any of his children/creatures to eternal misery. 

The opposition is led by Fr. James Dominic Rooney, OP, who makes - among many others - the same argument as the quotation above. 

I say I'm "sort of following" the debate because it's all very complicated and convoluted, and I'm not trained at all in theology. But the quotation Lady Grey, Hot is looking for does represent the traditional Church view on the question. 

On 2/28/2023 at 8:41 PM, Luigi said:

I don't know the source of this quotation, but it sounds similar to a theological 'debate' ("rumble" might be a better word) I'm sort of following.

There's a theological movement afoot called universalism, led by David Bentley Hart of Notre Dame University and John Milbank of Nottingham University. They contend that all people who die go to heaven because God, being all-loving, could not possibly condemn any of his children/creatures to eternal misery. 

The opposition is led by Fr. James Dominic Rooney, OP, who makes - among many others - the same argument as the quotation above. 

I say I'm "sort of following" the debate because it's all very complicated and convoluted, and I'm not trained at all in theology. But the quotation Lady Grey, Hot is looking for does represent the traditional Church view on the question. 

Debate sounds interesting.  Provide a link?

2 hours ago, Didacus said:

Debate sounds interesting.  Provide a link?

Here's an overview/summary. https://www.oursundayvisitor.com/debating-hell-and-remembering-the-holy-souls/ You can also go to Fr. Rooney's FB page, but that's something of a rabbit hole - watch out you don't fall in! He posts about this topic three or four times a week, and has been for six or eight months. Some of the posts are quite long, and most posts have lots of responses. https://www.facebook.com/stmichael71 

On 3/2/2023 at 10:16 AM, Luigi said:

Here's an overview/summary. https://www.oursundayvisitor.com/debating-hell-and-remembering-the-holy-souls/ You can also go to Fr. Rooney's FB page, but that's something of a rabbit hole - watch out you don't fall in! He posts about this topic three or four times a week, and has been for six or eight months. Some of the posts are quite long, and most posts have lots of responses. https://www.facebook.com/stmichael71 

Speaking of hell... 

"watch out that you don't fall in..."

There's good advice if ever I heard it!