An Old School Catholic Message Board

Community of the Lamb

DameAgnes

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, they are part of our family! They have a lovely place near Fanjeaux which is their centralized location. They have a house in Kansas.

Sponsa-Christi

One year my parents and I were in Rome for Easter, and we saw these Sisters all over the city at different points. I didn't know about their community at the time, so my dad nicknamed them "the dungaree nuns" after their denim habits! ;) 

MargaritaeScotiae

They are a really great community, I spend a lot of time at the monastery in Kansas City KS. Their habits are actually not denim (Iesu Communio is a “true denim” wearing order) but they certainly look close! There are brothers too; fewer brothers overall but right now there are about 8 sisters and 4 brothers here in the States. 

Lady Grey, Hot
7 hours ago, MargaritaeScotiae said:

I spend a lot of time at the monastery in Kansas City KS.

I'm the slightest bit confused - they're literal mendicants, but they also have a monastery?

3 hours ago, Lady Grey, Hot said:

I'm the slightest bit confused - they're literal mendicants, but they also have a monastery?

As I understand it, all Dominican monasteries work that way. They depend on the generosity of a group of friends & supporters for a lot of necessities. Of course, they do things like grow some of their own fruits & vegetables, they may offer prayer enrollments (for donations), and do other kinds of work to generate income, but they are largely dependent on donations. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP
11 hours ago, Lady Grey, Hot said:

They aren't cloistered. They have "little monasteries".

Yes, in France and other places they still go out and beg, hitch a ride, etc. It is so secular in France that this is a way to engage the other person and bring Christ to them. 

They will get flights from Air France for free if on standby. 
I believe it is different for the men and women. Also, in Kansas the Bishop told them it is too dangerous to hitch hike, etc. so they aren't allowed to do it. 

Yes, most of our monasteries pretty much depend on the donations of others although we do buy some food. We really do rely and trust on Divine Providence. He always provides for his Spouses! 

MargaritaeScotiae

Yes, as far as I know they subsist entirely on Providence. At times they go out and beg for meals in the local neighborhood and in other neighborhoods around the city, and they do seek out rides from passersby at times! Just two Sundays ago I was there for a Bible study and the sisters leading it arrived right before it began, as they had gotten a ride from a stranger at the last minute back to the monastery after going out begging in the city. I have seen the Lord provide for them time and time again, in ways ranging from simple to near miraculous! 

On 3/8/2023 at 6:10 PM, MargaritaeScotiae said:

Yes, as far as I know they subsist entirely on Providence. At times they go out and beg for meals in the local neighborhood and in other neighborhoods around the city, and they do seek out rides from passersby at times! Just two Sundays ago I was there for a Bible study and the sisters leading it arrived right before it began, as they had gotten a ride from a stranger at the last minute back to the monastery after going out begging in the city. I have seen the Lord provide for them time and time again, in ways ranging from simple to near miraculous! 

One could also say i's kind of irresponsible. In Vienna they caused some trouble because relying entirely on Providence seemingly included/s denying health insurance and expecting free medical treatment and medications when needed.  Even in catholic clinics this is not exactly how things are supposed to work. 
This was a few years ago though, so it might have changed in the meantime. 

Edited by Lea

Sr Mary Catharine OP
18 hours ago, Lea said:

One could also say i's kind of irresponsible. In Vienna they caused some trouble because relying entirely on Providence seemingly included/s denying health insurance and expecting free medical treatment and medications when needed.  Even in catholic clinics this is not exactly how things are supposed to work. 
This was a few years ago though, so it might have changed in the meantime. 

This is true and probably as time goes on like the older parts of the Order they will see that they need to provide for these things. Already they have built a monastery building in Ste. Pierre for the older members so things do become more stable.

When I entered the monastery there was still a lot of this expecting free care because that is what doctors did and were able to do but it's not like that anymore. Health care is much more involved and complicated.  

I don't know how healthcare works in Austria - I surmise it isn't organises in the fashion of the NHS. I would have to agree that there needs to be prudence. Francis of Assisi's initial (and extreme) views on poverty did not prove totally practicable even a century later.

And I cannot agree more with the bishop mentioned about hitch-hiking! There are fascinating resources on the Internet, which I find very enriching, but some sites or discussions pop up unexpectedly. Apparently, those who are bitter with the Church (to a huge extent, not just frustration or bad memories), or those with kinky sexual attractions, do 'role playing' about nuns - a Religious might be even more vulnerable than the average person.