An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters of Mary mother of israels hope

MiscarriageSucks

cruciatacara
5 hours ago, MiscarriageSucks said:

Is this community legit or is it just the founder and nobody else? 

My friend joined her group in the very beginning. There were five women then but most (or all) of them left. There have always been one or two joining but they don't seem to stay. The newsletters never state exactly how many have actually made vows apart from the founder. She is a popular Catholic celebrity on Catholic radio and TV shows so always seems to generate enough money to keep going but personally from what I have heard about her and her community, I doubt it will survive after she is no longer able to lead - sort of a personality cult.

This community got a huge amount of publicity a few years ago. But ocassionaly I tried to find out how it was developping but there hardly seems any information out there.  Seems like the expectations were high snd a lot of women would follow. Doesnt seem to have happened. I agree that it looks unlikely to survive in the long term. 

I had a quick look on the website and it seems like it has had a very unsettled period, involving three separate moves in a very short space of time.

It worries me that there are few indications of "community" on the website, if that makes sense - no group photographs, no photographs of Sisters making vows, or going about the community's apostolate, or any other indications that this is a stable and growing community. For a community that was founded in 2011, this is very concerning to me.

I know new communities can have difficulties and periods of instability, and that it takes a special sort of calling to be "in on the ground floor" as it were, but this lack of stability both in terms of the membership and the community's location, gives me pause.

cruciatacara
7 hours ago, GraceUk said:

This community got a huge amount of publicity a few years ago. But ocassionaly I tried to find out how it was developping but there hardly seems any information out there.  Seems like the expectations were high snd a lot of women would follow. Doesnt seem to have happened. I agree that it looks unlikely to survive in the long term. 

She got asked to leave one diocese by the Bishop because he felt she was focussing too much on trying to convert Jews, which is not a culturally acceptable charism these days (if it ever was). Being a Jewish convert herself, this is very close to her heart of course, but it doesn't appear to be a viable charism in the long term.

7 hours ago, rosamundi said:

I had a quick look on the website and it seems like it has had a very unsettled period, involving three separate moves in a very short space of time.

It worries me that there are few indications of "community" on the website, if that makes sense - no group photographs, no photographs of Sisters making vows, or going about the community's apostolate, or any other indications that this is a stable and growing community. For a community that was founded in 2011, this is very concerning to me.

I know new communities can have difficulties and periods of instability, and that it takes a special sort of calling to be "in on the ground floor" as it were, but this lack of stability both in terms of the membership and the community's location, gives me pause.

One of the old newsletters did show some potential candidates in a photo but then nothing was ever heard from them again, so perhaps they left. The impression I get from reading the website and newsletters is that it is basically a one woman show.

MagnoliaMs

I've seen them at Mass. There are three novices and two postulants and I have also seen Mother Miriam who seems very sincere. 

Totally Franciscan

A friend of mine applied to join this community a long time ago.  She got a phone call from one of the nuns saying that Mother Miriam would be calling her in the next day or two.  Well, Mother never called her, and that was about a year ago.  I heard that there were five sisters in the community, so that jives with what MagnoliaMs posted above.  

• 2 months later...
inperpetuity

They just obtained a large property in their diocese of Tyler and 6 postulants have entered in addition. Sr. Gertrude has been there from the beginning and is in vows now. Most of the information about the community is either on their website or on Mother Miriam's podcast "Mother Miriam Live". They have a faithful Bishop and he is a true father to them. It hasn't been easy for them but this is quite typical for new communities especially in these times when the Church is suffering the very passion of her Head from within her own body. If Mother doesn't return your call, call again. It's very easy for that to happen when many things are happening at once. The conversion of the Jews has always been the intention of The Church as it was for her Lord & Founder Jesus Christ. Those who claim otherwise have sadly fallen into the heresy of Modernism.

6 hours ago, inperpetuity said:

They just obtained a large property in their diocese of Tyler and 6 postulants have entered in addition. Sr. Gertrude has been there from the beginning and is in vows now. Most of the information about the community is either on their website or on Mother Miriam's podcast "Mother Miriam Live". They have a faithful Bishop and he is a true father to them. It hasn't been easy for them but this is quite typical for new communities especially in these times when the Church is suffering the very passion of her Head from within her own body. If Mother doesn't return your call, call again. It's very easy for that to happen when many things are happening at once. The conversion of the Jews has always been the intention of The Church as it was for her Lord & Founder Jesus Christ. Those who claim otherwise have sadly fallen into the heresy of Modernism.

So the entire body of bishops who were assembled at the Second Vatican Council were under the "heresy of modernism"? As was Pope St. John Paul II? What you are saying is, at best, problematic. Finally, the "faithful bishop" is currently under investigation by the Vatican. 

You know, I could maybe overlook calling the current bishop of Tyler TX "faithful" when he's currently under Vatican investigation for making a lot of money disappear and calling the Pope a heretic. I could overlook the dark intimations of "these times when the church is suffering the very passion of her Head from within her own body" -- which is frankly true, although not in the way you mean. But this is really a lie:

6 hours ago, inperpetuity said:

The conversion of the Jews has always been the intention of The Church as it was for her Lord & Founder Jesus Christ. Those who claim otherwise have sadly fallen into the heresy of Modernism.

I refer you to the documents of the Second Vatican Council (in particular Nostra Aetate) and, more accessibly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

CCC 839 "Those who have not yet received the Gospel are related to the People of God in various ways."

The relationship of the Church with the Jewish People. When she delves into her own mystery, the Church, the People of God in the New Covenant, discovers her link with the Jewish People, "the first to hear the Word of God." The Jewish faith, unlike other non-Christian religions, is already a response to God's revelation in the Old Covenant. To the Jews "belong the sonship, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises; to them belong the patriarchs, and of their race, according to the flesh, is the Christ", "for the gifts and the call of God are irrevocable."

The quotation at the end is from Romans. By your criteria, St Paul was apparently a Modernist heretic too.

1 hour ago, underatree said:

You know, I could maybe overlook calling the current bishop of Tyler TX "faithful" when he's currently under Vatican investigation for making a lot of money disappear and calling the Pope a heretic. I could overlook the dark intimations of "these times when the church is suffering the very passion of her Head from within her own body" -- which is frankly true, although not in the way you mean. But this is really a lie:

I refer you to the documents of the Second Vatican Council (in particular Nostra Aetate) and, more accessibly, the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

The quotation at the end is from Romans. By your criteria, St Paul was apparently a Modernist heretic too.

Do you think that Pope St. John Paul II was a heretic? Who called God's covenant with the Jewish people as irrevocable? And whose position has been reiterated and reinforced by both Benedict and Francis? 

The point of these teachings is that the Jewish people do not need to be "converted," as their covenant with God not only precedes that of Christians but remains unbroken. Look up "irrevocable covenant" and "Jewish people." 

https://www.vatican.va/content/john-paul-ii/en/audiences/1999/documents/hf_jp-ii_aud_28041999.html

https://www.rabbidavidrosen.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Christian-Jewish-Relations-the-Legacy-of-Pope-John-Paul-II-Georgetown-U-Feb-2-2004.pdf

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35061357

Of course Paul VI wasn't a heretic. But Catholic teaching evolves. My mistake (not "lie" was in placing this strictly during Vatican II, though that was when the rethinking of the horrific "perfidious Jews" stuff began to be dismantled. For a simple but substantive explication of all this, I recommend the Oscar-nominated documentary, "Sister Rose's passion."

Things have changed these days. It really isnt acceptable to put strong pressure on people who are very devoted to their own religion. It works both ways. We get Jehovahs witnesses round from time to time  I say no thanks we're catholics. Only one older guy was a bit persistent but still polite.  Not surprised she was in a bit of trouble trying to convert Jewish people.

4 hours ago, GraceUk said:

Things have changed these days. It really isnt acceptable to put strong pressure on people who are very devoted to their own religion. It works both ways. We get Jehovahs witnesses round from time to time  I say no thanks we're catholics. Only one older guy was a bit persistent but still polite.  Not surprised she was in a bit of trouble trying to convert Jewish people.

It's actually beyond not acceptable. It's actually contrary to current Catholic teaching to attempt to convert the Jewish people, according to Pope St. John Paul II and both his successors. This is a very different situation from that of a Jehovah's Witness coming to your door (annoying as that is--I know!). 

It is perfectly fine if a Jewish person chooses to become Catholic, and it is fine if a Jewish person asks questions as part of their personal searching process. But to state this as the agenda of a religious congregation in this day and age is just not right. See the history of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sion for example. They began as a congregation aimed at converting the Jewish people. This is no longer their goal; it is interfaith engagement. 

Edited by Nunsuch
added content

9 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

It's actually beyond not acceptable. It's actually contrary to current Catholic teaching to attempt to convert the Jewish people, according to Pope St. John Paul II and both his successors. This is a very different situation from that of a Jehovah's Witness coming to your door (annoying as that is--I know!). 

It is perfectly fine if a Jewish person chooses to become Catholic, and it is fine if a Jewish person asks questions as part of their personal searching process. But to state this as the agenda of a religious congregation in this day and age is just not right. See the history of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sion for example. They began as a congregation aimed at converting the Jewish people. This is no longer their goal; it is interfaith engagement. 

I didn't know it was now officially contrary to catholic teaching. I read an article a few years ago about the congregation amd it seemed to state that the aim was to be to get people back to going to mass and praying  and they were going ro hand out rosaries which I thought sounded fine. It didn't say anything about specifically converting Jewish people.

5 hours ago, GraceUk said:

I didn't know it was now officially contrary to catholic teaching. I read an article a few years ago about the congregation amd it seemed to state that the aim was to be to get people back to going to mass and praying  and they were going ro hand out rosaries which I thought sounded fine. It didn't say anything about specifically converting Jewish people.

Well, Pope JPII was the first to explicitly challenge the idea that Jews need "converting," since their covenant with God is unbroken. Both Benedict and Francis have reiterated that teaching. Is it "infallible"? No. But it is powerful.