An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Old Way Of Doin Things

Aloysius

i was thinking and i kinda think it's better to have the priest with the back to you. It's like we're all facing towards God n stuff. I'm not sayin theres anything wrong with the new, i just think that the priest facin the same way the ppl are facin illustrates more how we are now a kingdom of kings and priests, and then he's just the minesterial priest so He stands in the front and does the Consecration.

any thoughts?

Pax et Amo Christi!

cmotherofpirl

i was thinking and i kinda think it's better to have the priest with the back to you.  It's like we're all facing towards God n stuff.  I'm not sayin theres anything wrong with the new, i just think that the priest facin the same way the ppl are facin illustrates more how we are now a kingdom of kings and priests, and then he's just the minesterial priest so He stands in the front and does the Consecration.

any thoughts?

Pax et Amo Christi!

One problem with that is you have no clue what is going on, and unless he has a mike you have no clue what he is saying.

I would like to see the priest celebrate Mass with his back to the people as well. This doesn't mean the Tridentine mass though. It is perfectly legit for a priest to celbrate the Novus Ordo Mass with his back to the people. There is so much symbolism that way. However, many would see it as old-fashioned, so it probably won't happen. I would like to see it once a month or so though.

Well if the priest is inpersona Christi then I would assume that he should be facing everyone just like Jesus did during the Last supper. Not that it is wrong the other way. I am cool with however the Bishop wants it done.

Why would the priest turn his back on the people unless he has something to hide? This practice was eliminated in the sixties at the same time that they actually allowed the congregation to understand the words spoken. Are you seriously suggesting reverting back to the old secretive system?

Why would the priest turn his back on the people unless he has something to hide? This practice was eliminated in the sixties at the same time that they actually allowed the congregation to understand the words spoken. Are you seriously suggesting reverting back to the old secretive system?

The Roman Catholic Church???? Do something wrong???? Get out!!!

The priest isn't turning his back on us, he's turning around to face God with us. At least, that is the case if his back is to the people. It is only symbolic however, which is why he can face the people now.

The priest, if he had anything to hide, wouldn't be able to hide it as mass simply by turning around. Unless maybe a black eye or a pimple, but seriously, even if a priest did have something to hide, this has nothing to do with it.

And the Tridentine (old way) mass is not secretive at all. People did not understand then not because it was in Latin, but becasue they were poorly taught or they didn't care. This is the same today. The mass may be in the native tounge, but how many people really understand it?

Personaly, I would like to see the priest face away from the people again. It would help remind us that this wasn't a show put on for our entertainment, but a sacraficial offering to God not made by the priest alone, but by all of us. It would help the idea that we're right behind the priest offering the mass with him not just watching him do it.

Incidently, aren't we supposed to face east when we do this? Does anyone know why and why we don't face east anymore?

It is also important to note that Lati is still the official language of the Roman Rite. the Vatican II document Sacrosanctum Concillium never did away with Latin. It just allowed for use of the vernacular (native language.) Think of all the many spoken languages that can use the Roman Rite. English, French, Spanish, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Swahili, Portugese, you get the idea. I could go on and on. Latin is the one language they should all have in common. So, when the Pope celebrates Mass at World Youth Day with 2 million people in attendance representing dozens of languages, he can say Mass in Latin and people will still be able to understand. It is actually preferable that the Mass parts, the commons or things that never change, like the Confiteor, Eucharistic Prayer, great Amen, etc. be said in Latin so all in attendance feel welcome. Catholic means universal after all.

cmotherofpirl

What a ridiculous comment.

Anybody with any intelligence could read the latin printed along side the English if they wanted to.

,Sep 7 2003, 03:40 AM] So God is only in a certain direction? It matters which way anyone faces?

just notice i said it really doesnt matter

i was just commenting at how coool the symbolism is there. We are a kingdom of priests and kings. We all face the same direction; we all offer the sacrifice; we all look forward to our salvation in the end. It really just shows how the priest is on the same level as us. We're all just men. I thought u would like that. The priest is just in a ministerial position of the priesthood, hence the ministerial priesthood.

and as for the thing about the east, i never knew that. Is that some sort of symbolism with sunrise/set. does it set in the east? i guess it does, so thad be like looking toward the end of time (all symbolism)? or like, is it cause the Holy Land is in the East? Are the ppl east of the Holy Land sposedta look west according to that tradition.

I just never heard of that one, so i was interested.

Pax et Amo Christi!

If found this from the EWTN website:

"Ideally you should be facing east. In the Gospels Christ says that he will return riding on the clouds from the east. Therefore Eastern Christians face east in prayer, awaiting Christ's return." This was in regard to a private prayer corner as opposed to the setup of churches.

Here's a great link that explains the priest facing the same direction as the people as well as the symbolism of facing east.

Return to the East?

This link is much more detailed but packed with info if you have time to read it:

Sun Rising In the East On Priest and Alters