An Old School Catholic Message Board

An Arguement Over Roman Polanski

Kilroy the Ninja

Kilroy the Ninja

Ok, so I refuse to watch Roman Polanski's movies (particularly The Pianist) because I believe the man to be scum of the earth for pleading guilty to rape and then running away to hide in France. I don't believe he deserved an Oscar - no matter how good his film may have been - and I believe that boycotting his movies will (in a very small way) not line his pockets. Don John argues that boycotting the movie is silly because it might actually be a good movie. What I can't see is how DJ can say that about anything with that slimy man attached to it.

Furthermore, I was outraged to learn that Harrison Ford hand-delivered Polanski's statuette to him in France. Han Solo say it isn't so??? But what else should I expect from leftist Hollywood?

So, rather than do a poll where people can vote without giving their reasons I would like to know what ya'll think about this situation. I realize it's not earth-shattering, but it has bothered me every since this farce (the award show) was perpetrated.

:ph34r:

If the morality of every artist is going to dictate whether or not we enjoy their artwork, we would never enjoy any artwork. Where do you draw the line? Susan Sarandon supports abortion, which is murder. Do you boycott her? In fact, many people in Hollywood support abortion. Do you boycott all of them?

I agree that Roman Polanski's crime was despicable, and fleeing from justice was even more despicable. But if we were going to base watching movies on the morality of the people involved in the movie, we would never watch any movies. The same applies to all forms of art.

Hi, Kilroy!

While I agree w/ Friday in that we'd probably partake of few artists if we based it on their morality, I completely agree with you.

Such a pit of doom in my gut beholding this child molester being honored by the world. I could not see that movie.

Kilroy the Ninja

Actually I boycott as many as I can. If I know of exactly what a particular immorality an actor or actress has supported, then yes, I try not to add to their coffers. Particularly the likes of Susan Sarandon.

Maybe we should apply this theory to watching movies and see if the morality improves.

I'm not so naive as to think it would change anything (there are far too many people out there who gleefully support moral-less Hollywood for little ol' me to change anything), but at least I could say I tried.

Kilroy the Ninja

The baby Ninja Crusader has learned to crawl and now wants to walk in a very bad way, but hasn't gotten command of his legs just yet. He's doing great and so is daddy. Thanks for asking!!