An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is A Jesuit Anyways?

rachael

well, actually, the reason i asked was because im looking at colleges. the one college that really caught my eye was Fordham University, and its Jesuit

Thy Geekdom Come

If they're liberal, does that mean they support Abortion and such?
Unfortunately, some of them do. Not many of them, more are in favor of women priests, contraception, but I would say that there are more pro-abortion Jesuits than there are pro-abortion Benedictines or Dominicans or Franciscans.

I think the Vatican should force the Jesuits to get there act together.

That's the funny thing...the original purpose of the Jesuits was to serve directly the Pope and to do as he asked them...

well, actually, the reason i asked was because im looking at colleges. the one college that really caught my eye was Fordham University, and its Jesuit

Fordham University is pretty good. I think it's pretty conservative, except when it comes to socioeconomics (it's in the middle of the South Bronx, after all). The good thing about Fordham is that you have the Capuchin Friars of the Renewal in the same area. That's the monastery that Fr. Benedict Groeschel belongs to, as well as Fr. Stan Fortuna. I met Fr. Groeschel this last summer...a very humble, pious man...

Thy Geekdom Come

Watch the movie "The Mission".

Don't watch that! It's a terrible and anti-Catholic depiction of events. Patrick Madrid basically condemned it in his Pope Fiction.

I don't know much about any of the Orders. Which is overall the most Liberal, and which one is overall the most Conservative?

Is there anything the Vatican can do about religious orders such as the Jesuits? I mean, don't they have power?

Watch the movie "The Mission".

Don't watch that! It's a terrible and anti-Catholic depiction of events. Patrick Madrid basically condemned it in his Pope Fiction.

You're insane. It's a great movie. I especially like it as a Catholic.

If you wish to defend your opinion, please provide a quote from Mr. Madrid.

I've noticed that a lot of phatmassers like to toss the word "liberal" around like a hot potato.

a liberal (lip-brawl as I like to call them) Catholic is one who twists the teaching of the Church... there are to many of them... aka Buffet Catholics. They tend to reason their way out of things "being a sin"... i.e. I don't intend for it to be a sin, so it's not.

At least that's what I see when I see libby Catholics.

I think it's just the dragon's tail working it's way through the stars.

God Bless,

ironmonk

I've noticed that a lot of phatmassers like to toss the word "liberal" around like a hot potato.
Actually, what many on here call liberal would be more appropriately called heterodox, whereas what many label conservative would be more appropriately called orthodox. If anything, conservative should be applied to those who are heterodox yet lean toward the right (as in schismatic traditionalists).

I don't know much about any of the Orders. Which is overall the most Liberal, and which one is overall the most Conservative?

Is there anything the Vatican can do about religious orders such as the Jesuits? I mean, don't they have power?

As for your first question, that would really be hard to say. There are orthodox members and heterodox members in every order. However, some, like the Jesuits, tend to have more heterodox members than orthodox. But such orders are starting to die out, whereas those that are more orthodox have no trouble recruiting new people.

As for your second question, well, if the Vatican issued a blanket excommunication of Jesuits as a whole, then they'd be doing it to the faithful ones (what few there are) in addition to the unfaithful ones. But then again, why ask why? It may seem like the Church is doing nothing, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors? In addition, the way I see it, if we spend too much time asking why the Church doesn't do this or that in dealing with heretics and dissenters, we might as well ask Jesus why he allowed Judas to continue to be an apostle despite the fact that he knew Judas' heart and what he was soon to do.