An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Bad?

Craftygrl06

I had a friend who used to throw out the phrase "look, the winged victory of samothrace" when he really wanted to say something else . . . it was a learned behavior

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/Ac.nike.jpg/250px-Ac.nike.jpg[/img]

[quote name='StColette' post='1564713' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:23 PM']Yeah, it can be depending upon context. I mean if you say "Good Lord thank you for this day" or "Dear God thank you for my family" but I would not say that using those terms when either frustrated with someone, angry with someone, or mad at yourself cause you slammed your finger in the door ;) would be praising God.

I mean for instance if I was frustrated with Micah about putting dirty clothes on the floor or something and I went up to him and said "Dear L__D Micah why don't you just pick that stuff up" In that context the statement isn't being made toward the Lord it's being made toward Micah. Praising should be lifting up things to the Lord, like "Dear Lord, you are good and holy above all others". The example I gave would not be because the statement is toward Micah, not toward God. I mean my thoughts would be toward Micah making a mess, not praising the Lord.

Does that make sense?[/quote]

It does. I just don't agree with it. Neither does Jewish tradition nor does very thoughtful people on Phatmass.

As far as Jewish tradition goes Oy vey (yiddish) which is used at times of excitement or exasperation has in its roots "Oh God woe is me"

The usage of 'dear Lord" is similar for most people. In my mind (and in others) its a shortened version of "Dear Lord help me" These kind of exclamatory remarks are long standing in our history. This isn't taking the Lord's name in vain.

Besides myself I've seen Apothenoum and Cappie use it (amongst others) and while I disagree with Ap on a couple of things, I consider him to be a thoughtful man about faith.

dominicansoul

In the Dominican tradition, we are asked to make a slight bow of the head when saying or hearing the Holy Name of Jesus.

It brings our hearts and minds to Him, regardless of the manner and way in which the person we are hearing it from may be using His Name.

(*If you ever find yourself speaking to a Nashville or SMME Dominican, you will notice their slight bows every time the Good Lord's Name is brought up. It's really really cool!)

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1567984' date='Jun 11 2008, 09:49 AM']It does. I just don't agree with it. Neither does Jewish tradition nor does very thoughtful people on Phatmass.

As far as Jewish tradition goes Oy vey (yiddish) which is used at times of excitement or exasperation has in its roots "Oh God woe is me"

The usage of 'dear Lord" is similar for most people. In my mind (and in others) its a shortened version of "Dear Lord help me" These kind of exclamatory remarks are long standing in our history. This isn't taking the Lord's name in vain.

Besides myself I've seen Apothenoum and Cappie use it (amongst others) and while I disagree with Ap on a couple of things, I consider him to be a thoughtful man about faith.[/quote]
Exclamatory prayers are fine, but prayers are no longer prayers when they lose their meaning as such and are uttered without intention. We have to steer clear of heaping up empty phrases. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a person who actually intends the exclamation as a prayer rather than as an expression of anger, frustration, or division between himself and another.

Case in point, one of my Jewish friends always used to curse, "Jesus Christ" and I'm entirely certain he didn't mean it as a prayer.

Phrases are not prayer in and of themselves. Prayer requires something more. Without the aspect of prayer, pious phrases can become dangerous and void of meaning and we end up risking irreverence.

To be clear, even if a person does intend what they are saying as a prayer, they still shouldn't say it. It can scandalize others into thinking that using those phrases lightly is okay. If a person means to pray and doesn't mean such a phrase in a bad way (or isn't using the phrase in an empty and thoughtless way), then that person should go ahead and make it clear that it's a prayer by adding "please help me" to "Good Lord," so that others hearing or reading it are not scandalized.

God bless,

Micah

[quote]hot stuff @ Jun 11 2008, 09:49 AM)
It does. I just don't agree with it. Neither does Jewish tradition nor does very thoughtful people on Phatmass.

The usage of 'dear Lord" is similar for most people. In my mind (and in others) its a shortened version of "Dear Lord help me" These kind of exclamatory remarks are long standing in our history. This isn't taking the Lord's name in vain.[/quote]

Jewish tradition would not even utter the name of the Lord, I've had several Professors tell me so, many of which Todd was taught under while at FUS, since you are using Todd as an example. If they were so sensitive then to using the Lord's name I would be as well. I'm also hoping I'm included in those very thoughtful people on Phatmass. You might disagree with me, but I hope you're not snubbing me because I'm not in agreement with you.

I've heard and seen my own priest as well as other priests say and do some things that I don't agree with and I feel that are wrong and some which I know are wrong. Such as liturgical abuses and using the Lord's name in vain. Just because they are priests it doesn't mean they are correct in doing those things. They are human just like the rest of us and make mistakes as well.

[quote]Besides myself I've seen Apothenoum and Cappie use it (amongst others) and while I disagree with Ap on a couple of things, I consider him to be a thoughtful man about faith.[/quote]

I consider Fr. Cappie and Todd to be very thoughtful men when it comes to the faith, anyone who says different is being silly. But if Cappie or Todd did something that was wrong, ie run over an animal on purpose (lol first thing I thought of lol) it doesn't make it okay for everyone else to start running over animals on purpose even if they said it was okay and not wrong.

I disagree with lots of thoughtful people on phatmass on such subjects as the death penalty or smoking. Just because they are thoughtful people, which they are and I love them, doesn't mean I agree with their behavior or opinion on certain matters. And it doesn't make their behavior or opinion correct just because they are very thoughtful. For instance, if Micah (lol) started saying that he believed that the death penalty should be given to every criminal I would be the first to tell him he's incorrect. I still love him and still think he's thoughtful about his faith etc. but that doesn't make his opinion correct nor does it make his opinion the guideline for what is correct.

I disagree with some of the Church Fathers on some of their teachings, which were later found to be incorrect, but I still consider them thoughtful men of their faith. They were just mistaken,misinformed, or did not have some of the theological understandings that came later.

God Bless,
Jennie & the baby

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='prose' post='1568557' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:51 PM']You think smoking is wrong?[/quote]
I can't speak for Jen, but I do. That said, the Church is fairly silent on the matter, so we can't go beyond opinion on that.

psst. I know I am subtle sometimes....

;)

I was just being a dork.

Sometimes I am the only one who gets my humor.

[quote name='prose' post='1568557' date='Jun 11 2008, 04:51 PM']You think smoking is wrong?[/quote]

lol I didn't say that lol Smoking a pack or two a day I believe is wrong. I would say more around two a day is okay. If you have other health risks that can become worse with smoking I would say it would be very irresponsible to smoke and put yourself in greater danger. I come from a long line of smokers, so I'm aware of how hard it is to quit. My mom stopped smoking when she found out she was pregnant with my oldest brother and hasn't smoked since and that was 31 yrs ago. My dad never really smoked but dipped tobacco. My sis just stopped smoking a few years ago when she married her husband, she promised him that she would quit when she married him and she did.

speaking of which . . . well, technically we weren't, so pardon the :hijack:

have you noticed Paladin has a new helmet?
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/uploads/av-70.jpg[/img]

end of hijack, you may resume your regularly scheduled posting

:)

Edited by journeyman