An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question On Sisters

Soldier4Him

That's a good question. I'm sure they wouldn't wear a bridesmaid's dress. I wouldn't want to wear a lot of the bridesmaid's dresses I've seen, being low cut/ strapless and all.

I really don't know though, my first thought was no, but when I think about it, I'm not sure. Sorry!

Edited by FutureSoror

daugher-of-Mary

I suppose it would be possible if they had the permission of their superior, and wore their habit. I've never heard of anything like that happening though. :unsure:

Guest mernie511

my gut instint was sure, why not? of course the sister would want permission of her superior and wouldn't wear a dress. i think it would be really cool to have a religious sister support a marriage and be a witness like that.

Actually, one of the orders I am considering doesn't allow the Sisters to go to weddings, so you might want to check that out with the order you are interested in. You can't even go to a sibling's wedding if you are on home visit. They do let you go to ordinations within the family.

[quote name='jgirl' date='Sep 27 2004, 08:24 AM'] Actually, one of the orders I am considering doesn't allow the Sisters to go to weddings, so you might want to check that out with the order you are interested in. You can't even go to a sibling's wedding if you are on home visit. They do let you go to ordinations within the family. [/quote]
which order is this? just curious....

It's the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George in Alton. They are amazing sisters. They sang in the choir at the Eucharistic Congress with the Nashville Dominicans. The whole wedding thing kind of stinks because I have a younger sister who is 17. I think if I ask to enter in the next two years, if she gets married, then I won't be able to be there for it. That for me would be one of the biggest sacrifices for religious life. That's why I pray that if God is calling me to the Martyrs, then He will call my sister, too.

That way I get to see my sister's wedding day ;-)

I'm still checking out other orders, too, but I definitely learned to ask that question after visiting the Martyrs. Not that it really matters!

Hey jgirl! I recently spent a weekend with the Franciscan Sisters of the Martry Saint George in La Crosse, Wisconsin. Oh, that is such a beautiful order!! Such beautiful women! It would be very hard, though, to have to miss your sister's wedding. It's one of many sacrifices made for the love of Jesus. If God has called you to that life, He will give you the strength with which to sacrifice, though. Just because He's THAT cool!

They really are awesome, and they have a really cool charism. They don't just teach or be nurses, but they do whatever the Church needs. Plus, they are young, joyful, faithful and incredibly real--all qualities of a healthy religious order! I went on retreat with them, and we went to fill up the gas tanks of the cars with the postulants. It was quite possibly one of my most fun encounters with religious ever. You could tell that they didn't drive too often, so that part was a little scary, but then the other postulant started praying for our safety as a joke, and the one who was driving, said, "No, if you're going to pray, do it right" so she started out the prayer the way they start their prayers, and started the Hail Mary for our safety.

daugher-of-Mary

I stayed with a few of the Sisters at a Youth 2000 retreat at the PCJ since I didn't have a chaperone, so they and the TORs sort of filled in. I don't think I've ever laughed so much in my life as I did that weekend. I know what you mean about the driving thing! The Sister that drove us up told us quite honestly that she tries to stay within 10 miles of the speed limit, but it seemed like she was pushing that a little. ;)