An Old School Catholic Message Board

Me No Like College

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Grrr... I'm really not likeing this, but I have realized how things have been messed up, and now I am fixing them! But I don't like how college messes with me vocation... If you couls pray a Hail Mary for me, it would be much appricated! Thanks! ^_^

God Bless and Mary Protect!
Angela

awww sure thing Angela. I'm sorry that college is doing that to your vocation :( but remember it's these struggles that make us grow stronger :)

God Bless and Many Prayers,
Jennie Catherine

Wow, Angela!! Thats all a bit weird for me

Yesterday evening i came to the conclusion that my studies (Im studying in the University of Manchester, England) may be affecting my vocation, and thinking as to whether i should drop out and go straight into the seminary, or at least focus more on Christ . So very weird that i come on this morning and find someone in a similar dilemma!!!!

Of course i will pray for you, but could you tell me (either on the board or perhaps a private message) exactly how you feel it is messing up your vocation? it would be interesting to share.

Good luck, and im sure God will lead you onto the right path.

God Bless

Adam

ThyWillBeDone

I spent a year in college before entering the seminary and discovered some intresting things about college and vocations. College can help or hurt you vocation, it is really up to you. I started my year at college in bad way , living "the college lifestyle" that really hurt my vocation and my relationship with God. But after about two months I meet the newman club (the catholic club) and they were some of the most amazing and influencial people in my life. They helped me grow in my faith more then anyone else ever has. I am sure I would never have been actually ready to enter the seminary if it wasn't for them. So in other words if you meet the right people in college it can be wonderful for you vocation. Someone once told me there was a reason God wanted me to send a year in college before entering the seminary and now I see that they were right, so consider that maybe God wants in college to strengthen your vocation and keep that in mind as you face the hardships of college life and seek out the great people who you may help you grow in your faith and vocation.
God Bless,
Chris

[quote]College can help or hurt you vocation, it is really up to you[/quote]

This is so true. I went to Steubenville thinking it would help my vocation, instead I ran away from it because I didn't want to be like my roommate who was the ultimate in uncool devout Catholics. My household turned me back to the right path, and it wasn't until grad school that I have really embraced my vocation. It's kind of funny because I am at a public school, and everything in literary theory is all about sex it seems. Plus, I have professors who really dislike religion. It was in defending my faith and volunteering as a Life Teen core member that I learned to love how God is calling me to serve him. I could have entered religious life right out of high school, but now when I enter, it will be so much better because I know why I love Franciscans and why the sacrifice is worthwhile. Just remember to seek out people to support you; that's the best way to follow your vocation. If your vocation is to be a student right now, then you should follow that. If you are in the wrong place because you are putting off your vocation, if it is possible for you to enter religious life, then pursue that.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Adam S' date='Oct 3 2004, 07:19 AM'] could you tell me (either on the board or perhaps a private message) exactly how you feel it is messing up your vocation? it would be interesting to share.

Good luck, and im sure God will lead you onto the right path.

God Bless

Adam [/quote]
Okay, I was trying to "fit in" kinda thing, ya know just living the college lifestyle... I went shopping, slurged on things I don't need like make-up :rolleyes: Also, I'm pledgeing in a sorority, and that is DEFINATLY skrewing everything up! My mom wants me to stay in it, but I just can't do it! I wanna be holy and modest and well, the Catholic Student Assoc. is waaaaaay to liberal and contemporary for me... I dunno... does that elaborate for ya? Oh, and my roomate isn't exactly the best person to influence me... grr... I've talked about that one enough... okay, I hope that explains things better...

Hey Angela,

I think i understand a bit more. Im from England though and im not quite sure what a sorority is, but i can imagine roughly what problems you are going through, the 'popular' crowd are th most shallow but wield the most influence. Groups like that tend to dress quite slutty in England (we call them 'slappers'!) and they generally just get drunk and have casual sex (and pregnancy scares!) They always give the appearences of having the time of their lives, but get to know them and you'll find that a lot of them are actually very empty!

Seems like you are surrounded by an anti-vocation world, congratulations for sticking with it! Firstly, quit the sorority thingy, never mind what your mum says, if you are old enough to decided you want to dedicate your life to our Lord then you can make decisions like that.

As for your Catholic association, if they are too liberal (i had a similar group near me) bin them, because thye could be th most damaging thing, as they may convince you to change your views.

You didnt elbaorate on your room mate, so im not sure what you should do there. I have similar problems at University, and if im feeling weak or out of touch, i spend a few days only going to mass, prayer and praying in my room, sometimes it can be hard to disassociate yourself from the 'norms' of student life

Also, find a few things that keep you a short adrenaline shot of faith and inspiration. For instance, im thinking about the Jesuits so i have "The Mission" on DVD which always gives me a boost, as well as some Gregorian chants. If i ever feel tempted by secular life, i always play things like that and i remember my passion of becoming a priest.

Hope you find this helpful!

God Bless

Adam S

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

That is great! The encouragement helps so much! I think I will stick with the Catholic Group, and maybe wow them some... lol I watch EWTN (Catholic TV Station) all the time and I spend a lot of time here... I think I really need to drop out of the sorority. It is messing with everything! But thank you for your advice! It is much appriciated! God Bless and Mary Protect!

Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Angela

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Thank you so much! And my room mate issue may begin to pick up... She just found out I want to be a nun! :D

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I go to a UCC College, Elmhurst College... I'm thinking about transferring to Dominican U... I dunno, if I could afford it though...

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

If you are looking for a solid Catholic education, good diversity among the campus, good financal help (very good with scholarships), and just a cool school (also I go there), check out Benedictine College...Let me know if you are interested...Here is the website...

www.benedictine.edu

Totus Tuus,

Andy

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yes, I can look at it like that. Thanks for the reminder! But I am willing to be faithful! I want to be His humble and loyal betrothed!

I may start looking into a few Catholic Colleges/Universities out here... I was accpeted into Dominican U... Maybe I'll major in Theo there... but here I will just Major in art... I will take some Theo at my UCC College and debate and defend the Catholic Church until my vocal cords bleed lol