An Old School Catholic Message Board

Which of these are you discerning for?

Paladin D

Which of these are you discerning, or already have chosen?  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please add me to your prayers too. =)

I'm thinking about Diocesan priesthood, but I'd like a wife and kids too. Actually my girlfriend broke up with me because I said I was considering being a priest. I'm a senior in high school right now, and I'm planning on at least starting college, but not in theology. Sooooo I don't know lol, I'm praying a lot about this.

heyyoimjohnny

Priesthood... been on my mind quite a bit lately... not sure exactly what, but priesthood is looking more and more like something I'd be willing to devote my life towards.

I'm discerning the sisterhood and the cloistered nun. The desire has been present in the back of my mind since I was 8-years-old, but I'm only in my second year of serious discernment. I'm so excited about this vocation!! Praised be the Beloved!!

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Oct 18 2004, 02:32 PM'][...]  I want to know if I'm called to the priesthood or to the married life, if it be the married life I can use [b]film[/b] as a ministry.[/quote]
You might be called to priesthood [i]and[/i] film ministry, like [url="http://www.paulist.org/ministry/comm_media.html"]these guys[/url] are.

(and for the women among us, [url="http://www.daughtersofstpaul.com/daughters/vocations/index.html"]these sisters[/url] have similar ministries.)

• 2 weeks later...
filio carmeli

[COLOR=gray]

I'm discerning a call to the monastic priesthood, with the Discalced Carmelite Fathers. Is there anyone else in here thinking of joining the Carmelites? Discalced or O. Carm? sisters or brothers?

There's got to be some out there.... give me shout... I'd appreciate hearing your stories.

[img]http://www.healingflowers.net/therese.jpg[/img]

"L'Amour sera votre martyre."
"Love will be your martyrdom."
St. Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face

daugher-of-Mary

I'm hope to enter with the Discalced Carmelite Nuns. I'm so glad to have a brother Carmelite on the phorum. ^_^ Welcome!!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Oct 15 2004, 01:17 PM'] Paladin: There are Sisters and Nuns...

Sisters are Active and Nuns are cloistered... That is the difference, but you call them all the same when speaking to them...

SLight differenece... ^_^ [/quote]
Okay, so that how it used to be... now the terms are used interchangably... they pretty much mean the same thing now a day...

Just thougt I'd correct myself :D

[quote name='filio carmeli' date='Nov 5 2004, 09:52 PM']I'm discerning a call to the monastic priesthood, with the Discalced Carmelite Fathers. Is there anyone else in here thinking of joining the Carmelites? Discalced or O. Carm? sisters or brothers?
[/quote]
Welcome, filio carmeli!
and also "hi!" to daughter-of-mary:

from what i've been hearing over the last year or so, you've got good company in the Carmelite path. We have a cloistered Carmel here in Buffalo, NY, and it is packed full of young new postulants. At least so i'm told, you never actually [i]see[/i] them :) But the voices behind the grate at Mass sound youthful. (is there a formal name for the cloister gate in the chapel? it seems funny to call it "the grate").

I've heard a rumor (not verified) that somewhere in NY they've opened a brand new Carmelite novitiate because there are so many joining up. We also have a Dominican cloister in Buffalo, and they're doing well in vocations too!

A revival in the cloistered orders is a great and blessed sign for the future of our Church. Praise Jesus! :clap:

daugher-of-Mary

Thanks Davey! It really does seem like the cloistered orders are experiencing a "springtime." The average age at the Carmel I hope to enter is about 20! God be praised!! :D

[quote](is there a formal name for the cloister gate in the chapel? it seems funny to call it "the grate").[/quote]
the name for it is "grille", though that is also pretty funny sounding!

[quote]Please add me to your prayers too. =)[/quote]I know it's like a month later, but I'm foolish enough to believe that prayer transcends time... I am praying for you too broth'a Bubbles and everyone else in this thread. I finally made the call to that spiritual director who specializes in vocations... It took me long enough, please pray for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Gday,

Why doesn't the poll ask if you're discerning for marriage or single blessedness? They're vocations as well...

JMJ

Edited by D0RK4JP2

[quote name='D0RK4JP2' date='Nov 21 2004, 05:47 PM'] Gday,

Why doesn't the poll ask if you're discerning for marriage or single blessedness? They're vocations as well...

JMJ [/quote]
The poll is refering to religious vocation specifically.

• 2 weeks later...
Theologian in Training

A busy Third Year diocesan Seminarian. God-Willing, I will be ordained to the diaconate in May of next year.

God Bless