An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vow of poverty

Paladin D

When one takes a vow of poverty, does that mean that one cannot keep some of his/her most precious memories? Such as a few photos of his/her family, and such?

I would like to be a diocesan priest because...

[b]1.[/b] I would like to run a parish
[b]2.[/b] I would like to stay mainly in one geographical region. I like travel, but I want a place where I can call home, and develop good relationships with my parishoners.
[b]3.[/b] I won't be rich at all, but I wouldn't have to take a vow of poverty. I just don't feel comfortable with that, heck I would have to remain celibate as a priest as it is!
[b]4.[/b] I like the idea of being under a Bishop a little more, than a superior.

...I may be missing some other reasons at the moment (it's almost 1am here), but what do you think?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

To my understanding, a vow of poverty is where you cannot take any money for yourself... I believe that orders that do take this vow are allowed very few things...

My understanding of poverty is all money goes either to support the order or the commmunity of people the order serves... :)

If I am incorrect, some one let me know! ^_^

God Bless and Mary Protect!
Angela

In regards to myself, as a Capuchin I do not have a bank account, I do not earn a wage as all the collection money and any other stipends go directly to the order. I have all my needs met by the order so I don't pay tax or any of those things. I have never wanted for anything in the 28 years I have been in the order. As our constitutions say..."The minimun necessary, not the maximun allowed"

A question I often ask myself: Is it a want or a need?

goldenchild17

What about like a person's books or something? This is something they would have to give up right, if they took a vow of poverty? Even if the person gave these books to the group that he was a part of, but was able to use them whenever he wanted?

Theologian in Training

Diocesan priests are [i]encouraged[/i] to live a "simplicity of life," but that, unfortunately, is not always the case. A diocesan priest can have a bank account, a car, and I know of some that have condos and houses. Essentially, those that actually vow a life of poverty are those in religious orders. Otherwise, you will not see many diocesan walking around looking like a CFR or Capuchin

God Bless

goldenchild17

Dude I want to live as simply as possible. I don't want anything at all(except my books :) ) I know this is bad of me and I need to knock it out of me before I decide on my vocation. But my religious books are the only material possession I care about and I don't know what I'd do without em.... Anyways, that's what a sacrifice is for anyways.

I knew a Franciscan sister who used to give talks as part of her apostolic work. She had 10 books she used for her talks and work and 5 books for spiritual reading and prayer includind the bible and breviery.
When she acquired a new book she had to give one away.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I want to be a wandering poor nun... walking everywhere sleeping wherever...

I'll take all my books with me in a sack and I will be happy ^_^

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]I want to be a wandering poor nun... walking everywhere sleeping wherever...

I'll take all my books with me in a sack and I will be happy [/quote]

me too! Let me know if you find an order of wandering Sisters! ^_^

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Nov 5 2004, 05:31 PM']
me too! Let me know if you find an order of wandering Sisters! ^_^ [/quote]
sure thing! lol Or we can just start our own order :whistle: then I'll get to see the Holy Father! :D

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]sure thing! lol Or we can just start our own order  then I'll get to see the Holy Father!  [/quote]

sounds like a plan! See you in Rome, sista! ;)