An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Priesthood and Latin

goldenchild17

the Latin of the mass should be a requirement for a Latin Rite priest, as far as I'm concerned

all the Latin I know is the Paternoster, The Ave Maria, and the Gloria Patri, but I will eventually learn more

ThyWillBeDone

I am currently studying at Saint Charles Seminary in Philadelphia. Here every college division seminarian is required to take 4 semester of Latin and 3 semesters of Greek. I am working on my first semester of Latin right now. In addition you will probably pick up some Latin along the way just from the mass parts, hymns and prayers and other stuff. This is my first year and when I entered 2 months ago I knew no Latin, and not counting what I have learned from Latin class, I have learned several hymns and prayers (Ave Maria, Salve Regina, Pater Noster), and just about all the mass parts (Santus, Agnus Dei, Gloria etc.). So I wouldn't worry about knowing any before you enter. And I wouldn't worry to much about the Latin classes either God will help you get throught the acedemics required in the Seminary
God Bless,
Chris

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 31 2004, 11:38 PM'] Amen.

I put out the offer now. I will help any seminarian on this site or others with their Latin if they contact me. [/quote]
Thanks for the offer but, unfortunately, my time is quite limited. Third Year theologians have a lot to do to get prepared for ordination :)

Perhaps one day I will have the time to put into learning a bit of Latin.

Thanks again

God Bless

goldenchild17

[quote name='Raphael' date='Oct 31 2004, 09:38 PM'] Amen.

I put out the offer now. I will help any seminarian on this site or others with their Latin if they contact me. [/quote]
Dude, man if you could somehow knock it into me I'd be forever grateful. I'm not a seminarian(yet). I'm still trying to decide on an order or diocese or something, I don't know. But I so want to learn Latin, as well as Greek and Hebrew. But Latin first.

No man should be ordained to the priesthood of Jesus Christ unless he can speak (or at least read) the language of the Church.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='Nov 2 2004, 04:20 AM'] Dude, man if you could somehow knock it into me I'd be forever grateful. I'm not a seminarian(yet). I'm still trying to decide on an order or diocese or something, I don't know. But I so want to learn Latin, as well as Greek and Hebrew. But Latin first. [/quote]
Hehehe...I can help a bit with the Greek, too...ten credits, but my memory may be failing me on it. :P

I realize that Vat2 allowed parts of the Mass to be in the vulgate, but did it also do away with the option of saying the Mass in Latin? As someone who is bilingual (German & English), and a convert to Holy Mother the Church, I find that having parts of the Mass in Latin is a nice, traditional touch. One of the reasons I joined is the traditions of the Church. To me, using Latin in the Mass keeps us in touch with that Tradition, even if it's just in a small measure. I would hate to think that we'd turn away from the beauty and majesty of that part of the Tradition.

Just my $0.02, of course.

• 4 weeks later...

The archdiocese i am studying for requires us to take three semesters of latin. I just finished it and while I know the prayer by heart most other latin I have no clue about.

Look I understand what yall are saying. I have taken three semesters of latin but this is the thing, alot of diocese are now requiring guys to be fluent in spanish to help in their diocese with the hispanic population. My diocese is 1/3 hispanic with virtually no one to administor the sacraments in Spanish. It is really hurting the faith life of the hispanics. I luckily know latin and Spanish but for many guys there just simply isnt enough time before ordination to learn (if you go to the NAC) Latin, Spanish, Italian, and Greek. I am in college seminary and there is just not enough time. I have my hands full with latin and spanish in college seminary. So be careful before you judge a priest as should or shouldnt be ordained based soley of his knowledge of latin. Some of the most amazing priests dont know a wink of latin.

P.S. A priest eventually should learn latin and furthermore be able to say mass in latin along with knowing alot of prayers. But to say that he cannot be ordained before he does this is a bit much I would say and be careful beause most Bishops would and do disagree with you guys on this point.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='vianney' date='Dec 7 2004, 06:53 PM'] We have community mass here at SJV on the campus of St Thomas every Thursday night at about 7 you should come sometime. [/quote]
Oooohhh... so tempting... I love the chapel there, btw...