An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Priesthood and Latin

goldenchild17

[quote name='vianney' date='Dec 6 2004, 10:38 PM'] P.S. A priest eventually should learn latin and furthermore be able to say mass in latin along with knowing alot of prayers. But to say that he cannot be ordained before he does this is a bit much I would say and be careful beause most Bishops would and do disagree with you guys on this point. [/quote]
Whether most bishops agree or not is irrelevant. Most bishops in this country at least, think pro-aborts should not be denied communion. They are clearly wrong.

The point of my post above was that if a priest cannot speak the language of the Church he is being ordained for, then it is seriously detrimental to his ability to serve as a minister in that Church. Why? First, it greatly hinders ones ability to study Theology if you must rely on the very limited supply of english thelogical works. Second, it renders him incapable of saying Mass in the laguage of the Church. Third, it puts him at the mercy of others (who are not often trustworthy) to communicate to him what the Vatican is actually saying (as opposed to what the heavily agendized ICEL crowd would like us to believe the Vatican is saying).

Definition of a term I think I just made up: agendized: laden with and/ or hindered by an agenda.

ic so whenever you read anything that comes from the Vatican you read it in its original latin text or do you read what others have to say that have translated it.

Second off notice I said a priest should eventually learn latin at some point in his priesthood so he may say mass in latin after all he is a latin rite priest. But I would not say it is necessary for him to be ordained.

Third off I do not think the word greatly should be applied here. I have many friends in good major seminaries learning theology and they have all told me they did not need an ounce of their latin it is more of their Greek which they learn in Major seminary anyways. (for a sidenote the major seminaries i am talking about is; Mt. St. Marys in Emmitsburg, NAC in Rome, Chaput's SJV in Denver, St Charles in Philly.)

JMJ
12/14 - St. John of the Cross

Just for the record, [i][b]serious props[/b][/i] to whomever can SPEAK the Latin language - VERY few Latinists in the world are able to actually speak the language with any sense of fluency. I can read it with a certain sense of reliability, but SPEAK it - forget it. It'd take YEARS of learning.

goldenchild17

[quote name='vianney' date='Dec 9 2004, 04:04 PM'] (for a sidenote the major seminaries i am talking about is; Mt. St. Marys in Emmitsburg, NAC in Rome, Chaput's SJV in Denver, St Charles in Philly.) [/quote]
The seminary in Denver's considered a major seminary, along with NAC in Rome? I didn't know it was that good. I'm in CO Springs... Maybe I should look into it.

yep, infact Denver is one of the better ones. Hey by the way one of my best friends is a seminarian here at SJV in Minneapolis with me. His name is Jim Baron he is from Elizabeth. Ring a bell? He is studying for your diocese. (Colorado Springs)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='vianney' date='Dec 15 2004, 09:10 AM'] yep, infact Denver is one of the better ones. Hey by the way one of my best friends is a seminarian here at SJV in Minneapolis with me. His name is Jim Baron he is from Elizabeth. Ring a bell? He is studying for your diocese. (Colorado Springs) [/quote]
Ahem... St. Paul....

ha ha sorry SJV is in St. Paul not Minneapolis (The St Paul folk hate being called Minneapolis folk and the Minneapolis folk hate being called St Paul folk. I guess its a Minnesota thing?!)

homeschoolmom

[quote name='vianney' date='Dec 15 2004, 10:43 AM'] ha ha sorry SJV is in St. Paul not Minneapolis (The St Paul folk hate being called Minneapolis folk and the Minneapolis folk hate being called St Paul folk. I guess its a Minnesota thing?!) [/quote]
Yea, we're weird that way. ;)