An Old School Catholic Message Board

cilice (SIL-is) noun

dUSt

It seems like a lot of you didn't read the post that explained this in length on the first page. Usually a cilice doesn't inflict any physical harm but is uncomfortable. I'm sure there are times when they may slip and scatch someone, etc. but then I think we should give serious second thoughts to women wearing high-heeled shoes because they cause their feet to bleed on occasion. :idontknow:

Brother Adam

[quote name='morostheos' post='963054' date='Apr 27 2006, 04:51 PM']
It seems like a lot of you didn't read the post that explained this in length on the first page. Usually a cilice doesn't inflict any physical harm but is uncomfortable. I'm sure there are times when they may slip and scatch someone, etc. but then I think we should give serious second thoughts to women wearing high-heeled shoes because they cause their feet to bleed on occasion. :idontknow:
[/quote]

I think women who wear high heels that hurt their feet are nuts. Teresa is one of few women I know who don't wear makeup and I couldn't be prouder of her for it. It may be just me, but makeup makes women look fake and unnatural. Even "well done" makeup. Ick.

Sorry for the :hijack:

Edited by Brother Adam

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='963052' date='Apr 27 2006, 01:48 PM']
Perhaps not, but folks did wear sack cloth as a penance, which wasn't no fun. From what I understand, the cilice does not cause any kind of permanent disfigurement or inhibit one from carrying out normal tasks.
[/quote]

Maybe I'm just unknowledgeable about the effects of sackcloth and the cilice, but anything that is made of wire and has spikes that can dig into the skin just strikes me as a medieval torture device. Sorry.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='963058' date='Apr 27 2006, 01:54 PM']
I think women who wear high heels that hurt their feet are nuts.

[/quote]

But...............what if they use it as a form of penance or mortification? Or to deny themselves a comfort so they can detach themselves from the world? Or to stop themselves from sinning?

No need to be sorry for a highjack, as it helps to show a point.

Brother Adam

Are they wearing them under the watchfulness of a spiritual director for that reason? I don't think anyone would advocate any form of physical penance without the guidance of the Church.

Yeah, I assume anyone doing any sort of physical penance are doing so because their spiritual director explicitly told them to, and that specific directions have been provided.

Any good spiritual director isn't going to give that kind of discipline to someone who is going to get jollies from it... :pinch:

It is a practice dissuaded by the VaticanII, for my own experience, the way of being closer to God is the oration and to try to live according to the gospel.
Not all the persons use it in the opus dei, certain hypocrisy exists, they say to you that you should use more time or that you should press it more as atonement of your sins.
St. Thomas More wore one shirt-cilice of rough cloth. St Josemaria the big collector of relics obtained a piece of this one.
ruso, exnumerary of opus Dei

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Melamori

[quote name='ruso' post='963097' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:48 PM']
It is a practice dissuaded by the VaticanII[/quote]
Oh, really? What about a quote, then?

[quote name='crusader1234' post='408040' date='Nov 4 2004, 05:41 PM']
I personally think the idea of corporal mortification isn't for me
[/quote]

me neither!

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='962722' date='Apr 27 2006, 09:47 AM']
Old thread. Personally, I find the pain I face every day to be enough. I don't need to go looking for it.
[/quote]

Yep.

I can't help but wonder if God wants us to harm ourselves. :idontknow:

I am sure this is probably something that I just don't understand.

• 13 years later...