An Old School Catholic Message Board

Military

drewmeister2

I've been recently wanting to go join the military for a couple of years, the Navy in particular. When I was younger, I wanted to be a jet pilot, but I don't want to do that now, as I would have to sign a 7 year contract, and don't really want to be in that long. But I'm wondering if I should go in before or after college (If I do join the Navy, Im not doing it to get scholarship money as my main reason for joining, like some do.) Im thinking, in some ways, it might be worse after college, because then you have all that knowledge in your head, and then you don't use it, and maybe lose alot of it in joining the Navy. But if you go after high school, then you somewhat break up the routine of school. I don't know. :blink: Any advice?

BTW: To be a Dominican, you have to have a bachelor's degree, and if that is what I am ultimately called to, then I MUST go to college sooner or later.

Well, I come from a Military driven family. My brother and sister have both served, my sister served in the Navy for 8 years and just got out in June, and my brother is still in the Army and is a 1st Lt.

My brother went straight into the Army from high school, and served four years and then attended college for 4 years receiving his degree in History and then he re-enlisted. My brother is making a career of the military so him going to school was actually very important because it allowed him to re-enlist as an officer etc.

My sister, having 3 kids, worked on her degree through online courses. She is working on her second degree right now, in child physcology.

Both of their choices with schooling seemed to work out very well. In my personal opinion I would enlist for 4 yr enlistment time, and then attend college afterwards.

I came very close to joining the Military as well, I still receive calls from every branch at least every other week, because of my scores on their Military Battery Test, I had offers from the Navy to join their Nuclear Power program. But after a lot of heavy discernment I knew that's not where I belonged.

Hope some of this helps!

God Bless,
Jennie

Yes, that does help! I don't really want to make a career out of it, though. Although I do well in High School, and could probably do something with science in the Navy, I would rather do grunt work for two-four years. If I go into the military, I want to be one who gets to help fight, not be someone who does medical stuff. Im not saying these aren't important positions. Without these people, no military would function. But that's not what I would like to do. Thanks for the info!

[quote name='drewmeister2' date='Nov 6 2004, 03:12 PM'] StColette, what did your sister do in the Navy? [/quote]
She was an electro tech

Did you sister like the Navy? If I go in, I want to work on the deck of an aircraft carrier, doing something with deck operations.

I'm having thoughts of joining the Army (aiming for Ranger), but not for a career. Though if God calls me to become a priest, maybe I can serve some time as an Army Chaplain? Who knows?

I fulfilled an 8 yr contract with the Marines (four on active duty). If you are going, be sure your faith is solid, because it will be tried.

You have some interesting choices in front of you. The Church and the military aren't incompatible, just difficult to reconcile. Keep in mind that while in the military, that's really a huge focus, whether you're enlisted or officer. Something else to think about is that the enlisted world and the officer world are two vastly different entities - different focus, purpose, preparation, etc.

Something to keep in mind: if you choose to go the officer route, the term of service is much, much different. The literature will tell you it's an 8 year term. The reality is that nobody will come to you in your 8th year as an officer and tell you it's time to get out. In reality, being an officer is more of a profession than anything else.

Be careful about enlisting. Choose your service and your specialty wisely. With two wars going on right now and Homeland Security being taken extremely seriously, we have what's called "stop loss". That keeps enlisted folks in the military even if their contracts expire. And it happens to the reserves and the active force.

Bottom line - choose a service and specialty that you think you'd enjoy. As someone currently serving, I'd rather have a new enlisted man who wants to be there than someone who made a bad choice.

Thanks, Mark, for the input! And for everyone else! What service are you in, Mark? I have always loved water, and being at sea. I love aircraft carriers. I would never want to do Marines, they are a little too extreme, and I dont want to do army. The air force has limited jobs. The Navy, you have showers, books, sometimes bowling alleys on aircraft carriers. The Air Force has less tradition too. Thanks again, all!

[url="http://www.milarch.org/"]http://www.milarch.org/[/url]

Archbishop O'Brien stated that they should have 800 priests for Catholics in the military (which make up 25%-30%), unfortunately they have only 300+, and the number is declining.

I'm thinking now, if I'm called to the priesthood... I may become a chaplain.

Me? 13 years commissioned service (16 yrs total) in the US Army and counting. Of those years, 10 have been as a "traditional" Army National Guardsman, 3 have been active duty (and I am still on active duty). Currently teaching Army ROTC at the University of Southern Indiana.