An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difference Between Southern Baptist And Baptist

Joolye

no offense, but at least in the US i'd say this is about the most disfunctional Christian family around.

But that is offensive, so why post it. It's not nice, it's not constructive, and it really isn't true. There are worse.

there's like 10 Baptist type churches fairly close to me, theres like a first baptist church and a baptist church and a bible baptist church and a first bible baptist church and a second bible baptist church etc. etc.

In the town I live in just now, there are only 3 churches all up and nothing else near us for 2 hours!! There's not even a Baptist church in this town!

In my 'home town', where my Baptist church is, I think there is about 7 or 10 churches in our suburb, one which is the Baptist Church. There is also a Catholic church. It's quite funny on this one road there is 4 churches. The Catholic and the Anglican church are next door to each other, the Uniting church is across the road from them, and the Baptist church is about 500 metres up the road!

Anyway, in regards to different types of Baptist churches, there is only one different type in our area that I know of - an independent Baptist church in the next suburb, otherwise all the other Baptist churches in suburbs near us are part of the Baptist Union.

But that is offensive, so why post it.  It's not nice, it's not constructive, and it really isn't true.  There are worse.

:unsure: srry, didn't think...

oops! :ph34r:

cmotherofpirl

Because they take freedom of conscience to an extreme, I think a better term might be divisive.

Everytime they disagree about something, they start a new Church.

My neighbor has been thru at least 3 new Churches just in the last ten years.

Each time the congregation split over interpretation.

cmotherofpirl

ahh the computer said fatal error then double posted

sorry!

Edited by cmotherofpirl

Speaking of offensive.

This is a good joke told here in the Deep South with lot's of Yankees. It's really offensive, so don't look if you're going to get angry.... Batptist friends have told me this joke. It's more Yankee vs Southerner thing than religious. Note that Free Will Baptists tend to be from up north as opposed to Southern Baptists.

You know what's the difference between Southern Baptists and Free Will Baptists?

Free Will Baptists have a deeper gene pool.

jasJis: :lol::lol::lol:

These groups came to opposite conclusions, allegedly led by the same Holy Spirit, based on the same 66-book Bible, that caused a(nother) split.

Southern: Tend to be Calvinistic. Christ died only for the elect (those predestined to be saved). Big on OSAS.

Free Will: Arminian. Christ gave himself as a ransom for all, not just for the elect. God calls us all to repentance and anyone may be saved. Necessity of footwashing.

Both subscribe to the five Baptist Distinctives: Sola Scriptura, Believer's Baptism, Freedom of Conscience, Priesthood of all Believers, Separation of Church and State. Local churches are completely autonomous, even when they are affiliated with a denomination. The pastor is the sole authority in matters of faith, morals, and biblical interpretation. No one can tell him what to do or what to believe. He is his own Pope.

And that's not funny.

Not even the Pope has such authority. He decides questions of faith and morals and biblical interpretation in consultaton with all the bishops. But the sign on his desk says BIG BOSS (not really). ;)

Thanks for the giggle.

I think the main difference is that Southern Baptists have much better music - I'm from the South and from time to time their services are on T.V. and come rain or shine they are always jammin' for Jesus !!!

God Bless :D

• 17 years later...
HolyGhostInspired

All genres of Baptists subscribe to the Calvinist Theology, which causes them 'not' to embrace being filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues as found in Acts 2:4. Hope that answers your Baptists' Theology question. Regarding speaking in tongues according  to  Acts 2:4 I recommend "The God I Never Knew " by  Robert Morris. God bless you and yours. :)