An Old School Catholic Message Board

Baptist Vs. Church Of Christ

†tsuj-cM

I was watching a local tv show yesterday (Austin) and there was a Church of Christ pastor preaching and defending the "Gospel Truth" He got a call from a 83 year old Baptist minister and they started arguing over which church was correct, the CoC Pastor had said Baptists don't have salvation. What's all this bickering about? I was laughing but I felt bad at the same time because it's sad, there's alot of this friction within the protestant churches. They were also arguing about Baptism, Sprinkling or submersion. The coc pastor had mentioned something about the Catholic church, which i'm gonna confront him on. asap

cmotherofpirl

Of course they bicker, for they admit no authority but their own.

Catholics recognize authority, we just choose at times to disobey it.

Thomas Michael

Heh... I might as well be comparing wives here.

My first wife was Baptist, and my current wife is Church-of-Christian. I've been to both their churches, and there are inDouche differences (though I am aware they may vary from church to church in each denomination).

Baptist services are purely song-and-sermon, no type of communion service (if there is, it's rare). The Church of Christ I went to, all singing was done a cappella - they don't believe in using musical instruments at their services - and they have a communion service every Sunday.

I'd be interested in what that Church of Christ minister had to say about the Catholics... from my experience I would say that the Church-of-Christians would be friendlier to us.

A Protestant with a Bible in his hand, whose creed tells him that he (and each and every Protestant) will be led by the Spirit to "all truth" when he reads the Scriptures with a sincere heart, is a very dangerous thing . . .

Which minister was sincere? -- the CoC or the Baptist? Hmmmm. Perhaps neither?

Are we to believe that the Spirit has led the founders of 33,820 denominations to different interpretations of the Bible? Or, alternatively, that all the founders (and their followers) have insincere hearts? Poor maligned Holy Spirit! The Third Person of the Blessed Trinity, God Himself, either has led all these people and their followers astray, or they all had insincere hearts, or their conflicting doctrines are all true!

The ultimate logical conclusion of Protestantism is atheism.

Thanks for sharing, Mc Just. Let us know what develops.

Oremus pro invicem, Katholikos

Baptist services are purely song-and-sermon, no type of communion service (if there is, it's rare).

At my Baptist church they do 2 communion services a month - once a month in the morning service, and once a month in the evening service...on different weeks.

At my Baptist church they do 2 communion services a month - once a month in the morning service, and once a month in the evening service...on different weeks.

I continue to shout, the Bible is not an instruction book for Christianity. Any instruction book would tell how often, when, and in what manner the sacred meal central to the Christian faith is to be celebrated. The Church was instructed by the Apostles and was celebrating the Mass before the NT was ever written. The NT does not address these questions and many more. That was not its purpose.

At my former Baptist church, the Calvary Baptist Church (Southern), we had crackers and grape juice once a quarter -- and called it communion -- although crackers and grape juice are nowhere mentioned in the Bible.

We subscribed to the Baptist Distinctives, the first of which is Sola Scriptura (the Bible Only). Hmmmm.

There are as many differences as there are denominations of Baptists.

Ave Cor Mariae,

Katholikos

Ya know, I just thought of something...maybe cuz it's getting late!

But nowhere in the Bible does it say that the Holy Spirit establishes churches!

Only Jesus founds a Church.

And He establishes only One Church.

So, truly, there is only one Biblically correct Church.

And as Likos pointed out, God wouldn't establish multiple true churches which contradict each other's doctrines. The Truth does not contradict itself. These other churches may have bits and pieces of Truth, but the fullness of Truth resides in the Church which Christ Himself established: The Church the Holy Bible speaks of, the Pillar of Truth.

Pax Christi. <><

• 18 years later...

FACTS ABOUT THE CHURCH OF CHRIST

“Salute one another with an holy kiss. The churches of Christ salute you” (Rom. 16:16). KJV

Loved ones, the church of Christ has no creed but the Bible. The Scriptures furnishes a man unto all good works (2 Tim. 3:16-17). They give mankind everything that pertains unto life and godliness (2 Pet. 1:5). The New Testament is Christ’s and the apostles’ doctrine to govern the church of the New Testament (Acts 2:42; 2 John 9-10).

The church of Christ believes in speaking where the Bible speaks and being silent where the Bible is silent. It speaks as the oracles of God (1 Pet. 4:11). It holds fast the form of sound words (2 Tim. 1:15). It teaches nothing that the apostles did not teach or preach (Gal. 1:9).

Believers must teach and practice all the truth… nothing less! We must not to go beyond the truth as revealed in the New Testament (1 Cor. 4:6). The scriptures do not teach that we are miraculously converted by a direct operation of the Holy Spirit; rather that we are converted when we believe and obey the Gospel (Mark 16:15-16). Even sincere men can be deceived, so the only safe guide is the Bible.

The church of Christ pleads for the unity of all believers in Christ upon the basis of the Word of God and the one body. Jesus prayed that all be ONE (John 17:20-21). Paul pleaded for “speaking the same things” (1 Cor. 1:10). There is one body, and the body is the church (Eph. 4:4-6; Col. 1:18; Eph. 1:22-23).

The church of Christ is not a denomination. Denominationalism is not from God, but from man. They are in competition with the church the Lord established. Denominations offer many different things. They appeal to what man expects or wants. The church of Christ is pre-denominational and therefore undenominational. It has no membership in any human organization. Its members are in no spiritual organization other than the one to which the Lord adds the saved (Acts 2:47).

The church of Christ worships according to the fashion in the New Testament pattern. We worship God “In spirit;” that is, with sincerity, and “In truth;” that is, as the Word of God dictates (John 4:24). It opposes all items of worship not authorized in the New Testament. Following the unauthorized doctrines and commandments of men makes worship vain (Matt. 15:9).

The worship of the church of the New Testament consisted of: SINGING (Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16), GIVING (1 Cor. 16:1; 2 Cor. 9:7), TEACHING/PREACHING (Acts 20:7), PRAYING (Acts 2:42), and partaking of the LORD'S SUPPER on the first day of every week (Acts 20:7). If we worship and continue steadfastly in the apostles doctrine God will be pleased (Heb. 11:6).

The church of Christ wears no name but the name of Christ, and opposes all names of man’s invention. The disciples of Christ are called CHRISTIANS (Acts 11:26). We glorify God in the name CHRISTIAN (1 Pet. 4:16). Paul did all he could to persuade a king to be just a CHRISTIAN (Acts 26:28). The Bible condemns wearing human names (1 Corinthians 1:10-13). It is these other (denominational) names that divide believers. Why not just be a Christian?

The church of Christ is apostolic in its organization. Elders are appointed in every congregation to oversee the church (Acts 14:23; 20:28). Elders that rule well will take the oversight and not lord it over God’s heritage (1 Tim. 5:17; 1 Pet. 5:1-3). Deacons are also appointed to assist and serve the saints (Phil. 1:1; 1 Tim. 3:8-13). Evangelist are used to preach the word (2 Timothy 4:1-5). The church is not run by women or a majority rule. It is not run by Popes, councils, conferences, etc. But as its only head (Eph. 5:23), Christ dictates His will through the apostles and is overseen by a plurality of elders.

The church of Christ teaches that the Gospel, as revealed and confirmed by the Holy Spirit, is able to convert sinners and bring them to salvation. The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation (Rom. 1:16). We are saved by grace through faith in the gospel (Eph. 2:8; 1 Cor. 15:2-4). Faith comes by hearing the word of God (Rom. 10:17). We are begotten through the gospel; that is, by the word of truth which sanctifies (1 Cor. 4:15; Jas. 1:18; John 17:17).

All the work and worship of the church of Christ is done simply as Christians, through the local church, and not through some human organization. Building and maintaining societies and institutions takes away from the personal involvement of the Christian. God is glorified by the church of Christ, not human institutions (Eph. 3:21). The church is the pillar and ground of the truth (1 Tim. 3:15).

The church of Christ is the church that Jesus built in the first century and it belongs to Him (Matt. 16:18). Christians simply need to follow His instructions for how it is to operate. In the New Testament there is no organization larger than, smaller than, or other than the church to do the work of the church. Jesus did not give authority for any others.

God wants us to become His children by believing in Jesus and being obedient to the simple scheme of redemption (Galatians 3:26-27). For salvation the church of Christ teaches sinners to do only what Jesus taught through the apostles: believe (Acts 16:31), repent (Acts 3:19; Acts 17:30-32; Luke 13:3), confess Jesus (Rom. 10:9-10), and be immersed (baptized) in water (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16; 1 Pet. 3:21) to wash your sins away by the blood of Jesus (Rev. 1:5; Matt. 26:28).

If we follow the same examples of conversion as we find in the New Testament, we will have the same hope that they had. When we do this we are saved and added by the Lord to His church kingdom (Acts 2:47; Col. 1:13). As Christians He expects us to live faithful lives to receive a crown of life (Rev. 2:10). If you do these things you shall never fall (2 Pet. 1:5-11). The useless unfaithful unfruitful branches will one day be cast into fire and burned (John 15:1-8). The unrighteous shall not enter the kingdom of God (1 Cor. 6:9-10).

Why not consider becoming just a Christian and determine to simply follow the doctrine of Christ as given by the Holy Spirit through His apostles?

• 1 month later...

The Baptism of John Versus The Baptism Of Christ.””

Tuesday, December 01, 2020

When we read the book of Mark, it begins by introducing us to John the Immerser, or John the Baptist. This man who prepared the way for Christ (1:3). Among other things, we read about John baptizing people in the wilderness and specifically baptizing folks in the Jordan river (1:4-5). This was not the only place he baptized folks, but this was one area, and this is where he baptized Jesus (1:9-10).

Later, when we read about John’s baptism, we read where folks were told basically that John’s baptism was not valid, and they needed to be baptized in the name of Christ (Acts 19:5). Why the difference? If John’s baptism was valid in Mark 1, John 3, and other places, why is it treated as invalid in Acts 19? What difference is there between John’s baptism and Christ’s?

While at first glance, there seems to be little to no difference. Both baptisms are immersion. Both baptisms are for those who are seeking “remission of sins.” What difference is there between these acts? Notice, I said at first glance there seems to be no difference. When we study, we see several differences between these acts.

In John’s baptism, we see:

John told men to confess their sins (Matt. 3:6).

John told them to believe in “the One to come” (Acts 19:4).

This baptism added none to the church (No church existed then!).

There is no connection with Christ’s blood.

John’s baptism is described as “a baptism of repentance for the remission of sins” (Mk. 1:4).

In contrast, Christ’s baptism:

Was “for the remission of sins” (Acts 2:38) - not an act looking forward to something that had not yet come.

Puts one “in Christ” (Gal. 3:27; Rom. 6:3).

Adds us to his church (Acts 2:47; I Cor. 12:13).

Is connected with the blood of Christ (Rom. 6:3-6; Matt. 26:28; Acts 2:38).

Saves us (I Pet. 3:21; Col. 2:12-13).

John’s baptism served its purpose, but its purpose has ended. Now, we are to be baptized in Christ’s baptism -- that baptism which allows us to experience the cleansing effect of His blood, adds us to His church, washes us from sin, and enables us to be called “Christian.”

Have you been baptized? If not, what is stopping you? Contact me, and let’s make sure you are right in the sight of God.

Sure! 

Have You Been Scripturally Baptized?

By Earl Fly

Baptism Is Essential to Salvation

Scriptural baptism is essential to the soul's salvation. Therefore, no sinner can enter heaven without first being baptized. Because many people deny this fact, we present the following Bible passages which clearly prove that baptism is necessary to salvation. As you read the passages, remember this one: "For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar." (Romans 3:3-4) Paul's statement concerning the Jews' unbelief still applies to every unbeliever and denier of God's word.

Bible Proof

• "Jesus answered, 'Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.'" (John 3:5)

• "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:16)

• "Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)

• "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ..." (1Peter 3:21).

Salvation is IN Christ (2 Timothy 2:10); when we are baptized INTO Christ, by faith, we become God's children (Galatians 3:26-27). Christ's blood washes away sins (Revelation 1:5); He shed it IN His death (John 19:34); we are baptized INTO his death (Romans 6:3). Hence, Ananias told Saul of Tarsus, "Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:16)

There Is One Baptism

While man-made religions preach and perform many unscriptural baptisms, God approves of and accepts only one (Ephesians 4:5). This one baptism must be according to the Scriptures. God rejects all others; hence, they are null and devoid of value. The following Bible example is proof of this:

"And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus, and finding certain disciples, he said unto them, 'Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?' And they said unto him, 'We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.' And he said unto them, 'Unto what then were ye baptized?' And they said, 'Unto John's baptism.' Then said Paul, 'John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him; that is, on Christ Jesus.' When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 19:1-5)

The evidence clearly indicates that these religious people were honest, sincere, and conscientious. They actually thought they had been baptized to obey God. But they had received John's baptism, which had been superseded by Christ's baptism. Though these people had already been buried in water, as commanded by God, for the remission of sins (Mark 1:4); and though they believed on Christ, yet they were required to be baptized again. There are two reasons for this:

1. Wrong authority. They had been baptized by John's authority, not Christ's.

2. Wrong faith. They believed on Christ that should come; whereas, Christ had already come. This proves that one cannot be baptized right by the wrong authority and/or upon the wrong faith. Therefore, to determine whether we have been scripturally baptized, we must compare our baptism to God's requirements on every point. What are the requirements of Bible baptism?

Right Subject Required

1. One must be TAUGHT the gospel of Christ.

o "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them ..." (Matthew 28:19).

o "And he said unto, them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15).

o "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall be all taught of God.' Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me." (John 6:44-45)

2. After being taught the right doctrine to produce the right faith (Romans 10:17), a person must BELIEVE before he can be baptized.

o "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:16)

o "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water, and the eunuch said, 'See here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?' And Philip said, 'If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.' And he answered and said, 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.'" (Acts 8:36-37)

3. The next step is to REPENT.

o "Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)

Repentance precedes baptism.

4. After repentance, one CONFESSES with the mouth unto salvation.

o "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:10)

What is this confession? The eunuch confessed, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (Acts 8:37) The wrong confession would render a person's baptism unscriptural. Some confess, "I believe that God for Christ's sake has pardoned my sins." This shows that the person was taught wrong and believed wrong, for one is NOT pardoned of sins before baptism. Regardless of sincerity, such a confession of a falsehood renders the baptism null and void.

After Scriptural teaching, belief of truth, sincere repentance, and the right confession, one is a Scriptural subject for Scriptural baptism. Obviously, in view of these requirements, infidels and infants cannot be Scripturally baptized. An infidel does not believe; hence, he will not repent or confess. An infant has no sins and consequently does not need baptism; but he could not be a Scriptural subject anyway, for he cannot believe, repent, or confess.

Right Element Required

Some manmade religions teach that the Holy Spirit and fire are baptismal elements to be administered today, as well as water baptism. One preacher even used rose petals as the element for baptism! But there is only ONE baptism (Ephesians 4:5). Jesus instructed MAN to administer it until the end of the world (Matthew 28:18-20). What is this ONE baptism? Man never has baptized, and cannot now baptize, people with the Holy Spirit. And he certainly must not immerse a subject in fire! God will do that at the judgment (Revelation 20:15). Therefore, the one baptism to be administered by man until the end of the world is water baptism. We have many Bible examples as proof (See Acts 8:38-39).

Right Action Required

Many human churches offer a choice of sprinkling, pouring, or immersion, as if there are three ways to baptize. What does the Bible say?

• "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:4)

• "Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God ... " (Colossians 2:12).

Both Philip and the eunuch had to go down into the water (Acts 8:36-39). No man on earth can cite one Scripture that instructs anyone to have water sprinkled on or poured over his head for baptism. Neither is there any example of such being done. Furthermore, no baptismal subject was ever offered a choice. Therefore, if one who intends to be baptized has instead had water sprinkled on, or poured over him, he has not been Scripturally baptized.

Right Design Required

Some people are baptized for the wrong purpose. They say they are being baptized to show the world they have already been saved. But Bible baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38); to wash away sins (Acts 22:16); to enter into Christ's death (Romans 6:3) where He shed His cleansing blood (Revelation 1:5; John 19:34); to be saved (1 Peter 3:20-21; Mark 16:16). In Bible baptism, God performs the operation "in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ" (Colossians 2:11-13). The wrong purpose renders the baptism void.

Right Authority Required

Bible baptism is by the authority of Christ (Acts 2:38), not by the authority of a church or the vote of the people. We are to be baptized in the name (by the authority) of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19). But the baptism is not made valid merely by the preacher saying, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." These words are said when babies and adults are sprinkled, and when people are baptized for the wrong purpose. They could be said while baptizing a goat, but they would mean nothing! No man can baptize by the authority of Christ unless he is baptizing a fit subject (one who believes the truth, repents, and makes the right confession), using the right element (water), performing the right action (burial), and for the right purpose (salvation).

Conclusion

Dear reader, have you been Scripturally baptized? Or have you received one of the many false baptisms concocted by men? Compare your baptism with God's requirements. Were you taught (before baptism) the gospel of Christ or a manmade doctrine? Did you believe truth or error? Did you believe your baptism was to bring salvation from Christ (truth), or that you were already saved (error)? Did you sincerely repent? Did you confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, or did you make the false confession that you had already been saved through Christ? Do not be afraid or ashamed to admit error and change to truth. Your eternal salvation depends on your being Scripturally baptized. If you find that your baptism was in error, then be baptized, as did those in Acts 19:1-5, to please God. Do it today! Call the nearest gospel preacher or any member of the church for assistance.

8 Comments

48 Shares

Comment

8 Comments

Most relevant

Active

Write a comment…

Have You Been Scripturally Baptized?

By Earl Fly

Baptism Is Essential to Salvation

Scriptural baptism is essential to the soul's salvation. Therefore, no sinner can enter heaven without first being baptized. Because many people deny this fact, we present the following Bible passages which clearly prove that baptism is necessary to salvation. As you read the passages, remember this one: "For what if some did not believe? Shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar." (Romans 3:3-4) Paul's statement concerning the Jews' unbelief still applies to every unbeliever and denier of God's word.

Bible Proof

• "Jesus answered, 'Verily, verily, I say unto thee, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.'" (John 3:5)

• "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved, but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:16)

• "Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)

• "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ..." (1Peter 3:21).

Salvation is IN Christ (2 Timothy 2:10); when we are baptized INTO Christ, by faith, we become God's children (Galatians 3:26-27). Christ's blood washes away sins (Revelation 1:5); He shed it IN His death (John 19:34); we are baptized INTO his death (Romans 6:3). Hence, Ananias told Saul of Tarsus, "Arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord." (Acts 22:16)

There Is One Baptism

While man-made religions preach and perform many unscriptural baptisms, God approves of and accepts only one (Ephesians 4:5). This one baptism must be according to the Scriptures. God rejects all others; hence, they are null and devoid of value. The following Bible example is proof of this:

"And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus, and finding certain disciples, he said unto them, 'Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?' And they said unto him, 'We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.' And he said unto them, 'Unto what then were ye baptized?' And they said, 'Unto John's baptism.' Then said Paul, 'John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on Him which should come after him; that is, on Christ Jesus.' When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." (Acts 19:1-5)

The evidence clearly indicates that these religious people were honest, sincere, and conscientious. They actually thought they had been baptized to obey God. But they had received John's baptism, which had been superseded by Christ's baptism. Though these people had already been buried in water, as commanded by God, for the remission of sins (Mark 1:4); and though they believed on Christ, yet they were required to be baptized again. There are two reasons for this:

1. Wrong authority. They had been baptized by John's authority, not Christ's.

2. Wrong faith. They believed on Christ that should come; whereas, Christ had already come. This proves that one cannot be baptized right by the wrong authority and/or upon the wrong faith. Therefore, to determine whether we have been scripturally baptized, we must compare our baptism to God's requirements on every point. What are the requirements of Bible baptism?

Right Subject Required

1. One must be TAUGHT the gospel of Christ.

o "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them ..." (Matthew 28:19).

o "And he said unto, them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15).

o "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, 'And they shall be all taught of God.' Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me." (John 6:44-45)

2. After being taught the right doctrine to produce the right faith (Romans 10:17), a person must BELIEVE before he can be baptized.

o "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned." (Mark 16:16)

o "And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water, and the eunuch said, 'See here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?' And Philip said, 'If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest.' And he answered and said, 'I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.'" (Acts 8:36-37)

3. The next step is to REPENT.

o "Then Peter said unto them, 'Repent, and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.'" (Acts 2:38)

Repentance precedes baptism.

4. After repentance, one CONFESSES with the mouth unto salvation.

o "For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:10)

What is this confession? The eunuch confessed, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." (Acts 8:37) The wrong confession would render a person's baptism unscriptural. Some confess, "I believe that God for Christ's sake has pardoned my sins." This shows that the person was taught wrong and believed wrong, for one is NOT pardoned of sins before baptism. Regardless of sincerity, such a confession of a falsehood renders the baptism null and void.

After Scriptural teaching, belief of truth, sincere repentance, and the right confession, one is a Scriptural subject for Scriptural baptism. Obviously, in view of these requirements, infidels and infants cannot be Scripturally baptized. An infidel does not believe; hence, he will not repent or confess. An infant has no sins and consequently does not need baptism; but he could not be a Scriptural subject anyway, for he cannot believe, repent, or confess.

Right Element Required

Some manmade religions teach that the Holy Spirit and fire are baptismal elements to be administered today, as well as water baptism. One preacher even used rose petals as the element for baptism! But there is only ONE baptism (Ephesians 4:5). Jesus instructed MAN to administer it until the end of the world (Matthew 28:18-20). What is this ONE baptism? Man never has baptized, and cannot now baptize, people with the Holy Spirit. And he certainly must not immerse a subject in fire! God will do that at the judgment (Revelation 20:15). Therefore, the one baptism to be administered by man until the end of the world is water baptism. We have many Bible examples as proof (See Acts 8:38-39).

Right Action Required

Many human churches offer a choice of sprinkling, pouring, or immersion, as if there are three ways to baptize. What does the Bible say?

• "Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." (Romans 6:4)

• "Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God ... " (Colossians 2:12).

Both Philip and the eunuch had to go down into the water (Acts 8:36-39). No man on earth can cite one Scripture that instructs anyone to have water sprinkled on or poured over his head for baptism. Neither is there any example of such being done. Furthermore, no baptismal subject was ever offered a choice. Therefore, if one who intends to be baptized has instead had water sprinkled on, or poured over him, he has not been Scripturally baptized.

Right Design Required

Some people are baptized for the wrong purpose. They say they are being baptized to show the world they have already been saved. But Bible baptism is for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38); to wash away sins (Acts 22:16); to enter into Christ's death (Romans 6:3) where He shed His cleansing blood (Revelation 1:5; John 19:34); to be saved (1 Peter 3:20-21; Mark 16:16). In Bible baptism, God performs the operation "in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ" (Colossians 2:11-13). The wrong purpose renders the baptism void.

Right Authority Required

Bible baptism is by the authority of Christ (Acts 2:38), not by the authority of a church or the vote of the people. We are to be baptized in the name (by the authority) of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19). But the baptism is not made valid merely by the preacher saying, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit." These words are said when babies and adults are sprinkled, and when people are baptized for the wrong purpose. They could be said while baptizing a goat, but they would mean nothing! No man can baptize by the authority of Christ unless he is baptizing a fit subject (one who believes the truth, repents, and makes the right confession), using the right element (water), performing the right action (burial), and for the right purpose (salvation).

Conclusion

Dear reader, have you been Scripturally baptized? Or have you received one of the many false baptisms concocted by men? Compare your baptism with God's requirements. Were you taught (before baptism) the gospel of Christ or a manmade doctrine? Did you believe truth or error? Did you believe your baptism was to bring salvation from Christ (truth), or that you were already saved (error)? Did you sincerely repent? Did you confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, or did you make the false confession that you had already been saved through Christ? Do not be afraid or ashamed to admit error and change to truth. Your eternal salvation depends on your being Scripturally baptized. If you find that your baptism was in error, then be baptized, as did those in Acts 19:1-5, to please God. Do it today! Call the nearest gospel preacher or any member of the church for assistance.

8 Comments

48 Shares

Comment

8 Comments

Most relevant

Active

Write a comment…

On 5/2/2022 at 5:24 PM, dUSt said:

Hi Roy. Can you summarize what you just copy/pasted for us?

1 hour ago, roy said:

Sure! 

Roy, I asked if you could summarize, and you said sure, and then replied with ANOTHER copy/paste... and this time you didn't even bother to remove the comments and such at the end of the article you copied.

If you continue to act like this, mister, I'm going to think you are a bot and will have to ban you.

Act more human bro!

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom line is if you have not obeyed the Gospel ACTS 2:38, then you are lost. 1. Believe

2. confess

3. Repent

4. Be baptized for the forgiveness of sins.