An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question on vow of poverty

goldenchild17

goldenchild17

Is there anybody on here who has taken one? And if so, how do you use the computer? Do you have one? Do you go to a library? How does that work? I really don't know how the vow works and what it's extents are.

goldenchild17

But you still have access to use plenty of these things(like the internet and books) yourself? If that's the case, I think that's way cool. I don't care to have any material possessions of my own, but if I had access to these things that I think are important(for evangelical reasons) then I would be completely happy.
As I may have said in one of the other threads here, I am strongly considering a vocation to the SOLT(Society of Our Lady of the Trinity) community as a priest. They take a vow of poverty, so I just wanted to know basically what it meant. THanks.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Yeah, I know Sisters who use computers... I'm pretty sure they took a vow of poverty... In fact I am positive!

goldenchild17

I'm perfectly cool with that. I am curious though, what happens if you are in somebody's will... Do you give it to somebody else, or give it to the order you are in? Or what is done in that kind of situation?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Well, I think that property is usually given to the community as a whole to share... (like land to build a new school or something?) money is used to support the community as well... if one person recieves it, the whole community does... I wonder what would happen if someone willed a Sister a speed boat? :P

a Loreto nun at my scool was left a car from her father in his Will. she wasnt allowed to accept it unless it was donated to the convent itself, but she is the only one that ever drives it, so its kinda hers, even though she doesnt own it