An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priesthood...

the_rev

Hey everyone,

I was wondering, if the pope was to change the standards, say, priests could get married, would you

a) still become a priest (Celebiate)

b) become married then become a priest

Though I don't htink this is forseen in our Church's history, since we have overcome many struggles, ie: Spanish Inquisition, etc.

Over time this will all pass, and the priesthood will return back to go standards.

Anyways, why I ask is because many of my protestant friends feel that the standards of the priesthood will be changed.

What r your thoughts?

Peace of Christ,

Eddie

Well, I don't think it would be too relavent to me, because I am discerning Orders, not Diocesan, and I highly doubt there will ever be married priests in Orders. But if I was to be Diocesan, I would probably stay celibate. Good question! This very easily could change in the future, who knows.

homeschoolmom

While I have no personal interest (aside from the fact that I have two sons ;) ), my priest said that it's almost cruel to think of married priests. Priesthood is a 100% sacrificial commitment and marriage is a 100% sacrificial commitment. How can one man live two 100% sacrificial lives?

Somehow the Eastern Rite in the Catholic Church priests (not in America, because I learned that they cant get married here in US), but in Europe, somehow do it.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='the_rev' date='Dec 12 2004, 09:52 PM'] Do we recongnize the eastern rite church as faithful to the magisterium? [/quote]
Yes.

And deacons do it too, though not in the same way.

i shall hopefully be ordained a diocesan priest in 2007. If things change before then, i believe that i would remain celibate. I feel a very strong call to celibacy. God allowed me some wonderful dating experiences before seminary, which showed me that marriage is a beautiful life, but not for me.

[quote]why I ask is because many of my protestant friends feel that the standards of the priesthood will be changed.[/quote]
I hear this from a lot of [i]Catholic[/i] friends :rolleyes: So many folks think this is the magic bullet to solve the "priest shortage". But celibacy isn't the major cause of the shortage, IMHO. I think it's more that our culture discourages any service oriented lifestyle which doesn't reward with lotsa $$.

This is why the nursing profession is also in crisis right now. Even volunteer fire companies have trouble finding recruits.

[quote name='the_rev' date='Dec 12 2004, 08:52 PM'] Do we recongnize the eastern rite church as faithful to the magisterium? [/quote]
Oh yes!

I would remain celebate. I know [i]two[/i] married Roman Priests. Believe me, it's not easy on them.

Davey B, what dioceses are you with?

If you don't want to post it here, please private message it to me, we have a David B. in our dioceses, and was just curious.

Peace,

Eddie