An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question on the habit ...

melporcristo

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I'm back :) It's funny... I am there and I feel so-so about wanting to be there, but now that I am not there, I really really really want to be there again!

[quote name='Pio Nono' date='Jan 15 2005, 04:30 AM'] JMJ
1/15 - First Saturday

BTW, there is no indelible mark left on the soul of a nun (nor of a simple brother) - indelible marks are only left by the sacraments of baptism, confirmation, and Holy Orders. Neither brothers nor nuns receive Orders. [/quote]
I was just getting ready to post that. I'm glad I read the whole tread first. There is nothing more annoying than redundancy.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jan 15 2005, 12:26 PM']
I know sisters (Daughters of St. Paul) who wear civilian clothes when working in Africa and countries that are unsafe to wear habits in. However, they all wear similar uniform-type skirts with blouses and vests. They just don't wear the veil. I think that is perfectly acceptable if it helps you with your missionary work [/quote]
I wonder what the Martyrs of Compiègne would think of such notions.

Personally i think the habit is awesome.

I think normal people should wear simple clothes to. That idea might not catch on very fast though .......

I am sad to see that sometimes i can't pick out nuns in a crowd anymore. Even monks should wear it proudly.:)

[quote name='popestpiusx' date='Jan 21 2005, 10:10 AM'] I wonder what the Martyrs of Compiègne would think of such notions. [/quote]
On the other hand, the Mexican Carmelites did wear street clothes... over their habits. I think you have to use right judgement. Personally, the martyrs of Compiegne are my heroines ^_^

StPiusVPrayForUs

Yes, Mother Angelica did wear modernist type of religious dress. IIRC she went traditional after a world youth day event where lot's of stuff was going on that was (and is) wrong.

Speaking of WYD, hopefully Bishop Rifan and the TLM delegates show the you what reverance is instead of Church officials doing little to correct some of the sacreligious actions that went on in previous years.

I don't think Mother Angelica's habit had anything to do with World Youth Day. The Franciscan Missionaries said that she went back to her traditional habit when the Holy Father mentioned something (which at the moment, I cannot think of); he may have said it at WYD, but I'm not sure of that.
God bless :)