An Old School Catholic Message Board

What orders are you considering/with?

the_rev

Catholictothecore

hermits...I am so glad that the Carmelite priests at Holy Hill have some active ministries (I think they serve one parish). Also, if the nuns neeed a priest, these are the ones that go. Retreats..a bunch of stuff that's cool, though they don't do any of that during seminary or noviate. Eight years... yeah.

[quote name='McKenzie' date='Feb 19 2005, 12:28 PM'] Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
Any Carmel
Missionaries of Charity
Louisiana Dominicans
Cisterians
Found my own community of Carmelites whose apostolate is the same as the MC's

... in other words, I have no clue. [/quote]
McKenzie,

I have a friend--actually one of my household sisters from Steubenville--who is a first year novice with the Carmelites in Alhambra. Her name is Sr. Isabelle (aka Sarah Mason before the convent).

I'm also an MC coworker and have worked at their daycamp in St. Louis every summer since 1999 when I was 17. They are pretty amazing, too. It's an amazingly radical life that those Sisters live. They are so detached from the world, yet they do much to engage it. If you get the opportunity to work with them ever, like in the daycamps if there are any MCs anywhere near you, that's the best way to discern with them. I knew pretty quickly that I wasn't called to them, but I still love helping them out with the camps.

Jen

Catholictothecore

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 19 2005, 06:07 PM'] They are so detached from the world, yet they do much to engage it. [/quote]
that's the call we all have, girl or boy

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

CFR's...I was looking up tickets this morning to go visit them this Summer... They make me soo happy...their charism is so beautiful. Blessings!

Totus Tuus,
Andrew Joseph

[quote name='jgirl' date='Feb 19 2005, 06:07 PM'] McKenzie,

I have a friend--actually one of my household sisters from Steubenville--who is a first year novice with the Carmelites in Alhambra. Her name is Sr. Isabelle (aka Sarah Mason before the convent).

[/quote]
that's one holy group of sisters!!! i love the Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles. I knew a girl who was there for two years and left before Novitiate. they are about an hour or so from my house and some of them taught CCD at my parish. they are amazing!!!

catholictothecore...you said you like mendicant orders. have you ever looked at the Community of St. John? they are a lot like the mendicants of old, but they are very new. they focus on silent prayer/adoration.

Catholictothecore

silent prayer and adoration..wow. That would be so amazing, though it's definatly gotta be harder than it sounds

There is a great order of Carmelite nuns in Buffalo, New York, who also have a convent in South Dakota. A friend of mine from Dallas joined and made her final vows with them last year :)

edit: I already said this a few weeks ago. I guess I'm partial to them ^_^ God bless.

Edited by Totus Tuus

There is a Beautiful Carmelite Monastery in Denmark, Wisconsin, too. Discalced Carmelite Nuns of the Monastery of the Holy Name of Jesus. ^_^

[quote name='corban711' date='Feb 26 2005, 04:52 AM']that's one holy group of sisters!!!  i love the Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles.  I knew a girl who was there for two years and left before Novitiate.  they are about an hour or so from my house and some of them taught CCD at my parish.  they are amazing!!! 
[/quote]
JMJ

I've met a few Carmelite Sisters from Alhambra last summer. My friend and I are interested in attending a retreat hosted by them in June [word is i heard it was a free retreat, to stay with them for nine days! how awesome!].

I'm discerning upon the Lord's Will for me, and discerning upon what religious order to join, if it be the Lord's Will for me to become His Spouse. I recently went to a vocations retreat, which lasted a week, in Dover, Delaware -- hosted by the Leaven of the Immaculate Heart of Mary [LIHM] Sisters. They are a part of the Alliance of the Two Hearts congregation. And they are amazing! Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, Adoration, Confession -- everyday! They're missionary sisters, so whenever they're not on mission, they're praying. They are devoted to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Their spiritual director is Fr. Edgardo Arellano, what a holy priest! Praise be to God! [He has a show on EWTN titled "One in Their Hearts".]

I ask for prayers for Fr. Edgardo and the Alliance of the Two Hearts Brothers and Sisters. I also ask prayers for my own discernment. I am praying for all of you!

God Bless! Ave Maria!

-sara

[quote name='McKenzie' date='Feb 19 2005, 12:28 PM'] Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
Any Carmel
Missionaries of Charity
Louisiana Dominicans
Cisterians

Hey!! I was interested in the Carmelites and the Missionaries of Charity too...but now I feel God is calling me to the Dominican Nuns of the Heart of Jesus... I am so excited to enter their order!!! Yay!! Just allow God to guide you, may the Lords will be done... I really like the orders you are looking at, very beautiful orders!

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]Carmelites of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
Any Carmel
Missionaries of Charity
Louisiana Dominicans
Cisterians

McKenzie, a seminarian told me a while ago that I ought to found a Carmelite order with Perpetual Adoration...would you care to be Mother Superior? ;) :P We'd figure out some way to do an MC apostolate.

[quote name='Ave Maria' date='Feb 28 2005, 09:00 PM'] JMJ

I've met a few Carmelite Sisters from Alhambra last summer. My friend and I are interested in attending a retreat hosted by them in June [word is i heard it was a free retreat, to stay with them for nine days! how awesome!].

I'm discerning upon the Lord's Will for me, and discerning upon what religious order to join, if it be the Lord's Will for me to become His Spouse. I recently went to a vocations retreat, which lasted a week, in Dover, Delaware -- hosted by the Leaven of the Immaculate Heart of Mary [LIHM] Sisters. They are a part of the Alliance of the Two Hearts congregation. And they are amazing! Mass, Liturgy of the Hours, Rosary, Adoration, Confession -- everyday! They're missionary sisters, so whenever they're not on mission, they're praying. They are devoted to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Their spiritual director is Fr. Edgardo Arellano, what a holy priest! Praise be to God! [He has a show on EWTN titled "One in Their Hearts".]

I ask for prayers for Fr. Edgardo and the Alliance of the Two Hearts Brothers and Sisters. I also ask prayers for my own discernment. I am praying for all of you!

God Bless! Ave Maria!

-sara [/quote]
That's awesome! do you go to Steubenville by any chance? outside of this area, those are really the only people I know who know those Carmelite sisters.