An Old School Catholic Message Board

What If You Don't Follow God's Will?

Berchmans525

Berchmans525
[color=green]A priest once told me that if a person doesn't follow God's will/vocation in his life that the person will go to hell? Is that true?[/color]

Well there are two kinds of ignorance: invincible and vincible. If a person is invincibly ignorant, i.e., he's not living up to his full potential as a Christian through no fault of his own (he was never formed, etc.), then we can trust in God's mercy. If a person willfully rejects God's will (not necessarily his vocation, but the ten commandments and the dogmas of our Faith), he is vincibly ignorant and as a rule the Church believes that such a person will be subject to a harsh judgment. We can't judge any individual, though. Does that help at all, or were you looking for something different?

FutureSoror

I think it depends on the person. If a person goes through their life conciously rejecting thier vocation or refusing to look into it, there is potential for blame there. If that person later on down the road realizes their mistake and is sorry for it, but cannot change their life I doubt that they would go to hell for it, because they have contrition. Also, if a person is prevented from following their vocation by certain people or outside sources as many of the saints were, they could not be blamed for it.

I find very interesting what Saint Don Bosco said, that one out of every three persons has a religious vocation. I also heard that one out of every five boys is called to the priesthood. Imagine that!

Wow that's awesome about Don Bosco. I never knew that. But seeing as there are three vocations, it certainly makes sense that one out of three have a religious vocation! The married and single states need lots of prayer from the religious.

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

This comes down to the Interior Act of Loving God...

We can not speculate on individual situations. Only that person will know.

Totus Tuus,
Andrew Joseph

That is what our bishop recently wrote. It is through our vocation we obtain heavenly reward.

I once asked Fr. Anthony Bannon what if God didn't want me to beceome a priest and it was only my will and not God's since I still did good for other people, would I go to heaven?

I have to look for the answer.

Rule of thumb I've always heard is that your vocation is what's best for you. I doubt that it'd be a cause for mortal sin unless you were doing that specifically to spite God. What I gather is that you are suited best for a particular vocation, but that you can still successfully (ie be holy) live out another.

For anyone who struggles with their vocation, this is usually a large part of their concern. I know, I'm right there right now. If you're making the best decision you can, then God can't fault you for that.

Also, advice I've gotten from a priest is not to be too in a rush to figure it out. Let God prepare you for your vocation and concentrate on following Him in the present. Your vocation should form as a flowering from that. (Of course, I'm too stubborn to hear my own words :tongue in cheek: )

Catholictothecore

you can choose to not follow. For instance, if someone who God intended to be a priest has sex before he is ordained and obviously marries the girl, that becomes his vocation. But, he will never be as happy as he would've been if he became a priest.

[quote name='scardella' date='Mar 23 2005, 03:12 PM']
Also, advice I've gotten from a priest is not to be too in a rush to figure it out. Let God prepare you for your vocation and concentrate on following Him in the present. Your vocation should form as a flowering from that. (Of course, I'm too stubborn to hear my own words :tongue in cheek: ) [/quote]
Just a quick reflection for those that might feel rushed to make a choice, or get anxious.

Christ spent nearly 30 years in his hidden life preparing for about 3 years of ministry...

You think 8 years in a seminary is long for a lifetime of minsitry?

• 3 months later...
ofpheritup

WHERE DO THEY GET THAT STUFF ?

That is his opinion and he is welcome to it. The absolute arrogance boggles the mind. I wonder about people who make proclamations like that. Comments like that tend to make me nervous.

Your "vocation" is to love the people God has put in your life. Your "vocation" is not something in the future it is today.

Now in the future you and God will decide how to focus your love towards a specific end. That is so personal, it really can't be commented as to whether you are doing it right or wrong.

The decision is exclusively between you and God.

No one else needs to say anything else except to assure you of their love and prayers. And to be around if you need to talk.

Thy Kingdom Come!
Feast of St. Benedict, Founder of Western Monasticism

--offerit---

A vocation is a calling from God to serve his as a Priest, consecrated (sister, brother, deacon) as a married person or a single person. In our vocation yes we are called to love each other as God has loved us. But not soley is our vocation to love.

In general though, if we do not do what God has called us to do, to be ignorant, and turn the other cheek, would we still go to heaven?

Well Myself and others on this board can not judge. But I can tell you that if your vocation, whether to marriage or to the priesthood or as a consecrated may be, no matter what God's will is going to prevail. If you become married and you were called to the priesthood most likly the marriage isn't going to work and vice versa. In the end God always wins. All we have to do is help in his divine plan to increase people's love, for his greater honor and glory, and in turn save souls!

mariology21

[quote name='the_rev' date='Jul 11 2005, 10:52 PM']If you become married and you were called to the priesthood most likly the marriage isn't going to work and vice versa.  In the end God always wins. 
[right][snapback]640363[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I can attest to this. One of my good friends cousin.....he was married for a little over a year. It was a good marriage; solid etc. Well, that everyone could see anyways. For reasons unknown they got divorced, annaulled (I don't know all the specifics on this here). Everyone was shocked. What happened? No one could figure it out. Until about eight years later. He was ordained a Dominician priest. And he is an EXTREMELY holy, devout, wonderful priest. THAT is his true vocation. When he first got married, he wasn't at all paying attention to the will of God and what God may have in mind for his life. He figured it out eventually.

But just goes to show.....God's will WILL prevail no matter what we as humans do!!! We can't "mess up" God's will. Maybe make it take a few twists and turns, but it will eventually be the way God wants it. Kind of comforting!!

~Jen

MilesChristi

I think that these verses are important to keep in mind:

" And that servant who knew his master's will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating. But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more."

---Luke 12:47-48

Thy Kingdom Come!
Feast of St. Benedict, Founder of Western Monasticism

Thank you Miles for posting that. It brings this matter into full perspective.

[i]Yours in Christ,[/i]

Eddie Lee