An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Starting Point....

littleflower+JMJ

littleflower+JMJ

I'm wondering since there are many of us looking into vocations and in the seminary, etc....when did the door to vocations open for you? Was it a someone religious who you knew that started it all? Was it your parents mentioning it to you? Or just learning about the saints? a retreat?

i think we rarely hear how it allll began..... ^_^

That's a funny question. Fortunately I'm short of time, so I'm "forced" to keep this quick. The young woman who was youth coordinator at my home parish for my first two years of high school entered the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist in '01. But I didn't really consider such a vocation for myself until after I came to college, once I met Sisters through Christendom's vocations' day, and went on retreats....

...the short, compact version. :)

FaustinaVianney

Mine was rather simple..a friend asked me if I was 'studying' to become a nun because I would only read/talk about God and the Church. Of course when I was asked it was a stern 'NO!' However it was the seed that got me to think about it all. It took me a few months to open up to the idea, but once I did it was a flood of grace and true joy.

FutureSoror

I started rejecting the idea in kindergarten-- and always knew there was something wrong about being so adamant about not wanting to consider it. In 5th grade I read a book about St. Catherine of Siena, and couldn't get the idea of being a Dominican like her out of my head until I consented to do it.

When I was in first or second grade, I encountered Our Lady of Guadalupe for the first time. My parents really weren't religious at all, so this was the first time anything seemed real to me. There was a nun (habitless) who talked about it and how being a nun was like being like Mary. Right then I remembered thinking that I wanted to be a nun, and it was cool because I could wear my own clothes (because she said that).

ForHimAlone

When I was about eight-years-old I really wanted to be a nun. Remember those elementary school career days? We had to pick an occupation, and I chose to give a report to my class about how I wanted to become a nun. Freshman year in high school is when it really hit me hard, though. Ever since then, it's just been such a beautiful journey!

Catholictothecore

umm....there's always been a priest in my life. I've always had their infuence in my life, specially since my last one was so fun to be with! It really opened the door. Plus, some songs just had so clear a possibility, the lives of the saints, it just always seemed to me to be something so coool. So, in a nutshell, that's that.

littleflower+JMJ

ooh geez thanks so much for sharing guys! this is all really awesome to hear!! thanks--their alll really cool! :cool: i knew they would be interesting ^_^ :D :lol:

mind if I share mine?

Mine started when I was really young I wanted to be a nun, but as I got older...it didn't seem to attract me that much then when I was about 11 and went to a summer camp and heard about ECYD which a part of Regnum Christi, and from there on I got more into that.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Dudette' date='Mar 17 2005, 11:04 AM'] mind if I share mine?

Mine started when I was really young I wanted to be a nun, but as I got older...it didn't seem to attract me that much then when I was about 11 and went to a summer camp and heard about ECYD which a part of Regnum Christi, and from there on I got more into that. [/quote]
whoa that must have been one cool camp! lol that was neat :cool:

daugher-of-Mary

I just woke up one morning knowing I should be a nun (before I was Catholic)...didn't find out what a nun was until a year later! :rolleyes: As a little Italian nun I know would say, "Jesus, He isa sooo cute!" ^_^ It's amazing how He works in people's lives to bring them along paths to Him that they never, ever would have imagined or chosen for themselves.

• 1 month later...
~*AnCoRa33*~

YKC!

For me, it is interesting because my grandmother is a Carmelite nun un Santa Fe, New Mexico (It is an interesting story...) I remember ever since I was little going to visit Grandma Sister and saying "I am going to be Grandma Sister II" Later I realized that that the Carmelite Life is not my vocation but that I am still called to give my life to God in a special way. Now I am at a "Pre-Candidacy" in Rhode Island. It is a boarding school for high school girls, run by Regnum Christi who want to discern what God wants in their life.

PRAY FOR ME!!!!!