An Old School Catholic Message Board

Married Priests.... Is this the future?

the_rev

Some religious analysts said with the possibility of a new Pope, that the celibacy standard in the Catholic Church today will be lifted, and there will be married priests.

What are your thoughts?

nope, doubt it. Though the Church is having a shortage of priest, the quality vs. quantity theory is at play. The priest we have today are few in number, but are truly in it for God and His plan. While back in the day, joining the priesthood was socially acceptable and, in some cases, required and many priest and many did it for their reasons and not Gods.

Edited by M.A.N.

[quote name='the_rev' date='Apr 1 2005, 04:15 PM'] Some religious analysts said with the possibility of a new Pope, that the celibacy standard in the Catholic Church today will be lifted, and there will be married priests.

What are your thoughts? [/quote]
No way.

Having a married priesthood is possible. It was done long ago, and technically can happen today. Actually, it does happen today in the case of married Episcopalian priests who convert to the Catholic Church. St. Peter was married, we know that because in the Gospel Jesus heals Peter's mother-in-law. The rule to have celebate priests wasn't written down in the Church until only about 1000 years ago, maybe a little earlier.

The thing is, though, that being celebate frees you to be a really awesome priest. Instead of being the father of a few people, you can be the father of soooo many! And if you're the Holy Father, you're the father to 1 billion people!

Perhaps, if it was a dire emergency somewhere, maybe would do something, but as it looks now, we do not need married priests. I have no idea what the next pope will do or be like. He will be different than JP2, that's for sure. And also, the Holy Spirit will guide him and make sure he doesn't do anything ridiculous.

However, the rule has always been, since the very beginning, that married men became priests, but priests never could become married.

What [i]is[/i] theologically impossible is the ordination of women to Holy Orders. [b]Jesus is not a woman.[/b] Our Lady and St. Mary Magdalene are saints, but they weren't bishops, presbyters, or deacons. Deaconesses back in the day did the jobs that consecrated sisters do today.

Edited by Antonius

Guest m_ahmu

It is dissenting americans that are the biggest voice for women ordination anyway. It has nothing to do with the priest shortage but that femenist agenda.

Of course it's the agenda. How irrational and unfaithful it is to have an attitude of dissent and distrust of the Pope! Here, at the death of Pope John Paul II, maybe people will think "Ah, this man was so great. Maybe I should listen to what he wrote."

If you really love someone, if you really follow someone, you'll do what they tell you.

JMJ
4/4 - Annunciation of the Lord

Citing St. Peter and the apostles as married men is a favorite of Americans (and some Europeans) who push the non-celibate priesthood junk. They seem to forget that there is nothing in the Gospels that asserts that they were married [i]at the time of their ministry[/i]. There is a lot to show that they were, in fact, not married at the time of their ministry - why would the Lord call a bunch of men to irresponsibly leave their families and stop providing for them?

One alternative makes sense, the other does not.

[quote name='m_ahmu' date='Apr 3 2005, 11:24 PM'] It is dissenting americans that are the biggest voice for women ordination anyway. It has nothing to do with the priest shortage but that femenist agenda. [/quote]
YES! I know!!!

try living here... <_<

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Be Not Afraid!

Why would one want to be a married Priest?????

Priests marry the Holy Church! Why would one want to be married twice? Priests have more children then any 100 parents could ever have. Priests are the Spiritual Fathers, parents are the biological fathers.

"Husbands love your wives as Christ Loved the Church."
A Husband gives everything he has to his wife.
Priests give everything they have to the Church.
How can a married Priest give all he has to his wife and also to the Church. The only way is if the Priests wife IS THE CHURCH!

Totus Tuus,
Andrew Joseph

I totally agree with you guys. I just want to point out that there are very special cases, for example, when an Episcopalian priest who is married wants to convert. Sometimes, the bishop will give him a special dispensation.

My point is that a married man becoming a priest is not a theological impossibility like a woman becoming a priest is. We had them in the past, and we have them today (in the Eastern rites and in aforementioned special cases) but we will probably not make it a norm. Why? Because the Church is 2,000 years old now, and it is better tohave celibate priests than married ones.

heyyoimjohnny

I really want to be a priest.

I really want to father children and be a husband.

I don't want to do both. They would would conflict, and I wouldn't be able to do either.

It might happen, but I don't think it would work.