An Old School Catholic Message Board

I hope to enter....

the_rev

I hope to enter a college seminary after highschool.

I have prayed about it long and hard, and have come to the relization that they only happiness I may obtain is by becoming a priest.

Please continue to pray for me while I continue on my journey. I know that this is what God is asking of me.

I have written my vocation jorney. I have quoted the entire entry:

[quote]It all began when I was of young age.  I have faith in God because of my grandmother, a devout Catholic.  My mother always had to work to support me since she was a single parent. My grandmother always took me to church.  I used to always say the prayers that the priest always said in my head.

When I was five or six, I use to come home and “play church.”  Other little kids played house, played with ninja turtles, but I chose to play church. 

When I became more knowledgeable of my faith, I decided to devour what I could of Catholic teaching that was possible at a young age.  I started reading books by Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid and George Weigle to name just a few. 

I became an altar server for my parish August 15th, 1998.  That day I would always remember since it was the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven.  I would continue to serve ever since then.  Sometimes when I visit other parishes, (St. Pius X) in Appleton, I entered the church, and the priest was looking for another server.  Now I was just visiting and he said, “Hey we need a server go get dressed.”  Father did not even know that I was an altar server.  I would also serve for retreats, conferences, etc. that I would attend.  In the later years of my serving I would train servers.  The most memorable experiences I will ever have of serving would be the times I served for Bishop Mourneu, Banks and Bishop Zubik.

I continually was involved in church from age 12 onward.  I became real good friends with Fr. David Ruby.  He has helped to form me into who I am today along with Fr. Larry Marto and Fr. Robert DeCesare (LC). 

I attended several vocational days called, “Steppin' Right”.  Other youth conferences I attended would be the Dive In Youth Conference, We Have Come to Worship Him, and Last Blast Youth conference.  At these conferences I was able to hear other Catholics speak about God and my Catholic faith. 

During my Junior and Senior High School years I attended a few week long retreats.  One was Reality C.H.E.C.K. (Catholic Hands Exhibiting Christian Kindness) and Rockin' by the River.  At these retreats I would continue to learn about my Catholic faith with an emphasis on Catholic Social teaching, mainly because the retreat focused around community service.

In the summer of 2004 while on retreat at Rockin' by the River I was assigned to a day care.  At that time I continued to feel I was called to the priesthood.  However during this week long retreat I would continue to think about the possibility of marriage because of a little kid named Joey.  Joey was a “problem” at the day care, known for kicking, hitting, and pulling hair of the girls.  However, when he came by me the first day, he was well behaved, and told me I was the only nice person he ever knew.  This would be the only day that Joey would be at the day care because as I later found out he was abused by his mother and was taken into a protective household.  However Joey left an impression on me that I wouldn't later discover through prayer was a deeper calling to the priesthood.
Throughout the end of 2004 and beginning of 2005 I continued to think about what God was calling me to do with my life.  I continued to think about the priesthood, but put that on the back burner.  During the presidential elections of 2004, I would become involved with the Republican Party, and become friends with our local assembly man John Gard.  John made sure I made it to all the presidential visits, (George Bush).  At that time I felt called to be a politician.

After the election, I became less involved with politics, and began to look into music.  Being in concert band, and playing at many functions a month I began to like band.  This was after our music department hired a new band director.  Mr. Marcineak challenged me to be the best Alto Saxophone player that I could be.  Unlike the past teacher who told me I stunk.  However I believe now that he challenged me to continue to persevere to become first chair.  During this period of time I thought maybe I was meant to be a band director.

Little did I know that the week of March 28th up until April 2nd, 2005, would be when I would discover what I was truly called to do. This was the week that at that time, Pope John Paul the Second would become terminally ill, never to recover.  As his health continued to fail I prayed for him faithfully each day.  On Thursday March 31st the Holy Father's health took a turn for the worse.  He would lay on his death bed for three days. 

On April 1st, we had half a day of school because it was the end of the semester.  When I came home after eating at the local pizzaria, my grandmother informed me that the Pope had died.  Later did I find out that the media had not confirmed that with the Vatican and the Pope was still living.  Glued to the television for the next several hours waiting for the Pope's passing.  The Vatican released a comment that the Pope wanted to send to everyone, it was,  ”I have searched for you, but now you have come to me.”

Still the Pope had not passed on; Saturday came, and it was the day for our music festival.  I would have to depart from the television for a few hours to perform my solo.  Upon my arrival home I learned that the Pope was still living.  Then at the 1:37 P.M. EWTN announced that the Vatican had confirmed the Pope had died.  At this time I'm sure the entire world was saying a prayer for this man, I would be one of them. 

I found out that the Pope had died after the vespers and anticipatory mass for Divine Mercy Sunday.  I heard of the Divine Mercy chaplet, praying it only a few times.  My devotion to the Blessed Mother at one time was strong, but later grew weak, where I would find no time to pray the rosary.  This would later change. 

The Pope's passing brought me closer to Christ, and in the long run would help me to realize that I wanted to be like the priests, and the religious gathered at St. Peter's Square.  On the date of the Pope's death I have faithfully prayed the rosary and the Divine Mercy chaplet, because these prayers were close to the Holy Father.  I asked his intercession each time, and after praying each time, I became overwhelmed spiritually.  Divine Mercy and the Blessed Mother have helped me to shape me into who I am spiritually today. 

I know that one reason why I would continue to persevere to become a priest was not only because of Pope John Paul the Second, but because of the Blessed Mother and our Eucharistic and Merciful Lord.

(This will continue when I go to Medjugorje and Reality CHECK this summer.  A never ending story until I enter seminary.)

[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

I am to young. However I could go to a High school seminary, but that costs money I don't have.

Maybe I'm not cut out for the Legion, I don't know

Why can't God just say, "Eddie my faithful servant, I want you to be a __________ priest"

Thanks.

Eddie

No, dude, I'm in college and I will probably enter a seminary after I get a BA. I have no idea what order He wants me to be in or if I should be a diocesan priest. We have to pray and wait... He'll let us know, at the perfect time. I'm sure.

He will tug at our heart, but we shouldn't hold it too tightly. While keeping it in check, we should let it go where it wilt, you know? While at the same time praying with all our might and just trying to get as close to God as possible. We should also have a spiritual adviser. After I get home this summer, I'm going to try and have a local priest be my spiritual adviser, he advises my close friend who wants to be a nun.

Every day I feel called... That the thing that would make me happy and also bring me closer to God and build up is to be a priest. It seems that I was made for that, but still, now, I am called to be the best son and college student I can be. I still fail at that! So then, I have to pray more and work harder.... God will give me what I need at the most appriopriate time. Just look at Pope Benedict!

Many prayers, brother. You pray for me and I pray for you, we're in this together. ;)

PS: I think we forget sometimes that we can also be Deacons or consecrated brothers. Their life is pure service... How humble and beautiful! There are also lay communities that take vows such as Memores Domini and Regnum Christ (I think?)

Eddie,

How far away are you from LaCrosse? Archbishop Burke started a house of formation for high school boys there when he was bishop (he also started one for girls). I know there's a guy who was either there or is still there from St. Louis, so maybe you should look into that. You go to the Catholic school and then live with other guys who are discerning the priesthood. It's a lot more lenient than those LC seminaries, but still very, very orthodox.

ForHimAlone

[quote name='jgirl' date='Apr 24 2005, 09:57 PM'] Eddie,

How far away are you from LaCrosse? Archbishop Burke started a house of formation for high school boys there when he was bishop (he also started one for girls). I know there's a guy who was either there or is still there from St. Louis, so maybe you should look into that. You go to the Catholic school and then live with other guys who are discerning the priesthood. It's a lot more lenient than those LC seminaries, but still very, very orthodox. [/quote]
Yes, I have visited the Mater Redemptoris Convent and House of Formation for girls in La Crosse. It is right next door to the Holy Cross Seminary. I can personally vouch that these institutions are wonderful!! Very holy places to be and definitely awesome atmospheres for discernment!!

drewmeister2

Thats cool, I didnt know those even existed.

One criticism of them though: if you are in an atmosphere where a bunch of guys want to be priests, sometimes it can also act negatively, and block you from seeing your true vocation if its not the priesthood.

FutureSoror

[quote name='ForHimAlone' date='Apr 25 2005, 06:15 PM'] Yes, I have visited the Mater Redemptoris Convent and House of Formation for girls in La Crosse. It is right next door to the Holy Cross Seminary. I can personally vouch that these institutions are wonderful!! Very holy places to be and definitely awesome atmospheres for discernment!! [/quote]
I know a girl who spent part of the year there last year.

I know sometimes calls us along one path to get us near to our vocation, and than later shows us exactly where he wants us.

Guest srcharity

It is really hard to wait when you feel God calling you to your vocation, but that is really part of your growth in the vocation. Even though St. Therese entered the convent at 15 she still had to wait several months - longer than she desired. She said that she could have wasted that waiting time, but she was determined to make good use of it and it turned out to be some of the most fruitful months of her life. So it is very good that you feel the tug on your hearts to follow Him. But remember that the vocation is from Him - TRUST HIM. A vocation is all about TRUST. Let Him use you -even where you are right now - as you wait to be able to respond - know it is a wonderful opportunity to grow in holiness. St. Teresa of the Andes was a saint at 19. She entered a convent, but was only there for about 9 months. So that means that she was really doing most of her growing as a saint while in high school. Use the waiting time to truly BE every thing you can be. BE HOLY. For that is what we need - holy priests and holy nuns. YOU can Do it. He desires it for you more than you want it yourself!!!

ThyWillBeDone

Hi, I am a seminarian. I spent a year in a secular college before transfering to the seminary. I wanted to enter straight out of high school but my parents and some other issues lead me to spend a year in college first. That year turned help me alot. So keep in mind you should be focusing on you formation and discernment no matter where you are. If you focused on doing God's will he will bring you where you wants you to be when he wants you to be there. You will be in my prayers
God Bless

[quote name='drewmeister2' date='Apr 25 2005, 06:34 PM'] Thats cool, I didnt know those even existed.

One criticism of them though: if you are in an atmosphere where a bunch of guys want to be priests, sometimes it can also act negatively, and block you from seeing your true vocation if its not the priesthood. [/quote]
won't a proper envirnment of discernment allow you to make the desision to leave if you feel you are not called to the priesthood?

drewmeister2

Yes, that can be the case, but it can also work negatively too, and cause you to become a priest, even though that may not be your real calling, because you are around so many others who want to be a priest.

I guess what Im trying to say is while they can be good for discernment, and obviously not everyone becomes a priest from those schools, at the same time, it can be a block to some people (not all), and keep them from seeing their true vocations. This is probably more likely than not a rare case, but Im sure it has happened, especially with the minor seminaries that used to exist in Vatican I.

Edited by drewmeister2