An Old School Catholic Message Board

Girls: What communities have you contacted?

SarahB

[quote name='passionheart' date='Sep 4 2005, 08:15 PM']Could you tell me a wee bit about the Community of St. John's in IL

Also, where do you find the time to visit so many communities???

cheers

DM
[right][snapback]711043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Mary will have to tell you about the Community of St. John's, but she's been able to go on a lot of cool nun runs, and she came along with me when I visited the Cistercians. ^_^

i've contacted the Carmelites of the Sacred Heart of Los Angeles and am considering going to their Handmaidens meetings. something about Carmelites just attracts me...maybe if you go on one of the retreats or something, i'll see you there! :D

• 11 months later...

+

Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist (retreat, applied, accepted)

Sisters in Jesus the Lord (two-week convent stay)

Nashville Dominicans (short internship at school in MN)

Missionaries of Charity (volunteered with them in Rome for a year)

Daughters of Saint Paul
Sisters Adorers of the Royal Heart of Jesus Christ Soveriegn Priest
Servants of the Lord and the Virgin of Matara
Congregazione Suore Domenicane dello Spirto Sancto

(these I've just been in contact with via phone, e-mail, and mail but more may be in the works)

Guest Perpetualove

Before you all freak out...I work as a Youth Minister and am VERY devoted to encouraging vocations as well as thinking about them for myself. (Why not kill two birds with one stone...so to speak!) So...don't be alarmed by this list. But...at least you will know you about another great resource. As always, know you are welcome to pm me anytime!

Cistercians in WI - have a friend in the community. Trying another to organize another visit.
Regina Laudis in CT - five times.
Sacred Heart Carmelites in LA - five or six times.
Benedictines In Petersham - not visited, information only, good friend in the community.
Carmelites: Eldridge(visited), Alhambra(visited), Iron Mountain (not visited), Terre Haute (not visited) and Des Plaines (great print shop!), Baltimore (information), Indianapolis (information and meeting with the Prioress), Port Tobacco (nice correspondence), Corpus Christi (visit in San Francisco), Carmelite Monastery in Darlington, England - visit only, Carmel California, visit and short retreat.
Sisters of Social Service - visted five or six times. Many retreats (Benedictine spirituality - getting their first saint soon...)
Our Lady of the Rock - one week retreat
Sisters of the Martyr St. George - information only
School Sisters of Christ the King - information only but wonderful correspondence
Redemptionists - great correspondence.
"Pink Sisters" - PA and St. Louis - information and great correspondence.
Immaculate Heart of Mary - information from Wichita, retreat and interviews with the ""moderate" community in Los Angeles. Retreat with the "traditional" group in Ojai.
Passionists (Kentucky) - telephone and great letters
Poor Clares - Los Altos Hills (two retreats), other Poor Clares visited: Santa Barbara and Belleville. Not visited but contacted (also had a retreat with Mother Mary Francis before her death in Los Altos Hills when she was head of the Federation): Roswell, Rockford and Spokane
Stanbrook Abbey (visited/amazing experience - saw the relics of the clothes of the Martyrs of Compeigne)
Tyrburn Abbey (information only)
PCPA - information only
Sisters of Notre Dame (Thousand Oaks,CA) - retreat two times
Sisters of Notred Dame de Namur - two retreats (Carmel, CA)
Adorers of the Blood of Christ - two retreats and life choices program
SMME - information only
Dominicans: Information from Lufkin, St. Jude, Lockport, Buffalo and Menlo Park. Interview and short retreat at the Monastery in Los Angeles under the direction of Mother Pia.
Interview, retreat and information from the Sisters of the Holy Child of Jesus (PA)
Interview, retreat and information (actually two retreats) from the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (RSCJ)
Two retreats with the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament - prayer group, volunteer work, interview.
Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet - Los Angeles - information only.
Urslines - New Orleans - visit.
Sisters of Charity, Paris Motherhouse - visit and short retreat.

WOW...there's more, but I think that's enough for now!!!!

Guest Perpetualove

Before you all freak out...I work as a Youth Minister and am VERY devoted to encouraging vocations as well as thinking about them for myself. (Why not kill two birds with one stone...so to speak!) So...don't be alarmed by this list. But...at least you will know you about another great resource. As always, know you are welcome to pm me anytime!

Cistercians in WI - have a friend in the community. Trying another to organize another visit.
Regina Laudis in CT - five times.
Sacred Heart Carmelites in LA - five or six times.
Benedictines In Petersham - not visited, information only, good friend in the community.
Carmelites: Eldridge(visited), Alhambra(visited), Iron Mountain (not visited), Terre Haute (not visited) and Des Plaines (great print shop!), Baltimore (information), Indianapolis (information and meeting with the Prioress), Port Tobacco (nice correspondence), Corpus Christi (visit in San Francisco), Carmelite Monastery in Darlington, England - visit only, Carmel California, visit and short retreat.
Sisters of Social Service - visted five or six times. Many retreats (Benedictine spirituality - getting their first saint soon...)
Our Lady of the Rock - one week retreat
Sisters of the Martyr St. George - information only
School Sisters of Christ the King - information only but wonderful correspondence
Redemptionists - great correspondence.
"Pink Sisters" - PA and St. Louis - information and great correspondence.
Immaculate Heart of Mary - information from Wichita, retreat and interviews with the ""moderate" community in Los Angeles. Retreat with the "traditional" group in Ojai.
Passionists (Kentucky) - telephone and great letters
Poor Clares - Los Altos Hills (two retreats), other Poor Clares visited: Santa Barbara and Belleville. Not visited but contacted (also had a retreat with Mother Mary Francis before her death in Los Altos Hills when she was head of the Federation): Roswell, Rockford and Spokane
Stanbrook Abbey (visited/amazing experience - saw the relics of the clothes of the Martyrs of Compeigne)
Tyrburn Abbey (information only)
PCPA - information only
Sisters of Notre Dame (Thousand Oaks,CA) - retreat two times
Sisters of Notred Dame de Namur - two retreats (Carmel, CA)
Adorers of the Blood of Christ - two retreats and life choices program
SMME - information only
Dominicans: Information from Lufkin, St. Jude, Lockport, Buffalo and Menlo Park. Interview and short retreat at the Monastery in Los Angeles under the direction of Mother Pia.
Interview, retreat and information from the Sisters of the Holy Child of Jesus (PA)
Interview, retreat and information (actually two retreats) from the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. (RSCJ)
Two retreats with the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament - prayer group, volunteer work, interview.
Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondolet - Los Angeles - information only.
Urslines - New Orleans - visit.
Sisters of Charity, Paris Motherhouse - visit and short retreat.

WOW...there's more, but I think that's enough for now!!!!

So far the only order I have contacted is the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity in Manitowoc, WI. I have been to several retreats there and find them lovely.

[quote name='Jabberwocky' post='1060441' date='Sep 10 2006, 08:37 PM']
So far the only order I have contacted is the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity in Manitowoc, WI. I have been to several retreats there and find them lovely.
[/quote]

I know a couple sisters from there! In fact, one is in school with me :)

It depends on what apostalate you are interested in too...teaching, poor, elderly??...

Teaching..I would always recommend the NASHVILLE DOMINICANS

Elderly...LITTLE SISTERS OF THE POOR

Poor and very mission minded....MISSIONARIES OF CHARITY

These are all active orders...

as for Contemplative...POOR CLARES...PASSIONISTS(in Kentucky)

Know of our prayers that the Lord would lead you to where He calls you and that you would be open to follow!

PrayerSupporter

[quote name='passionheart' post='711043' date='Sep 4 2005, 09:15 PM']
Could you tell me a wee bit about the Community of St. John's in IL

cheers

DM
[/quote]

Hello, DM,

You asked for information about the Community of St. John in Princeville, IL, and, while I don't know anything about them personally, I wanted to point you to an article in the current issue of our diocesan newspaper: [url="http://www.cdop.org/catholic_post/current_issue/index.cfm"]http://www.cdop.org/catholic_post/current_issue/index.cfm[/url]

If you scroll down to the heading "Congregation of St. John facility to be blessed Sept. 29" and click on it, there is a brief summary of the article (there's a bit more to the actual article in the newspaper). The article briefly mentions that "a separate novitiate on the same property is home to the Sisters of St. John, a related community of contemplative nuns."

Just thought you might be interested in this since you seemed interested in the Community of St. John. Hope it helps!

PrayerSupporter

p.s. - To the right of the article in the newspaper is a small notice about a young woman being clothed as a Carmelite in St. Louis, and it's interesting to note that the prior of the Community of St. John, Father Joseph Mary, presided at that Mass.

brandelynmarie

uuuummmmm..ok....lemme think...Not in any particular order:

St. Emma's In Pennsylvania...Semi-cloistered Benedictines (full habit)

Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in Alabama (I'm too old for them, but I went on retreat there!)

The Sisters of the Humility of Mary (active order, no habit :( )

And I am gearing up to visit the Dominicans in Summit in October!

Edited by brandelynmarie

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1064352' date='Sep 16 2006, 05:01 PM']
The Sisters of the Humility of Mary
[/quote]
I go to school with some of their sisters. They also work in a Montessori school in Ohio that is FABULOUS!

brandelynmarie

Let me rephrase that about Humility of Mary...some of the nuns wear a modified habit & I know one that wears the blue habit (hence the nickname "blue nuns") from either the '60's or '70's...but she is the last one...Sorry! :blush:

I have visited the PCPA's in Portsmouth, OH as well as just visited to the public chapels of the PCPA's (St. Paul's Shrine), the Trinitarian Sisters, & the Poor Clare Colettines in Cleveland...

I knew there was more to post!

Add another order to the list now: I've been in very close contact with the Carmelites in Alhambra, CA for the past year, but this November I'm going on a come-and-see with the SMME in Ann Arbor--the same order so many people here know and love :) A friend of mine is actually a new postuland there, too, so I'll get to see her again! Yay :D

:blush: Been a while since had contacted any orders of sisters.But here are the ones I had in the past.

Sisters of the Most Precious Blood,O'Fallon Mo.
Adorers of the Blood of Christ, Ill.
Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus,San Antonio,Tx.
Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word,San Antonio,
Sisters of Divine Providence,San Antonio
Sisters of the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament,Victoria,Texas
Oblate Sisters of the Church(Italian) Dallas (no longer in US)
Missionary Sisters,Servants of the Sacred Side of Jesus(Italian,Forth Worth,No longer in US)
Missionary Servants of St.Anthony,San Antonio
Sisters of St.Joseph of Cluny
Sisters of the Presentation of the BVMary,San Antonio
Daughters of Charity of St.Vincent de Paul
Handmaids of the Precious Blood,Jemenez Springs,NM
Sisters of Charity of St.Joan Antida,Milwaukee,Wisconsin
School Sisters of Notre Dame,Milwaukee
Dominican Sisters of Charity of the Presentation
Angelic Sisters of St.Paul New England
Sisters of St.Thomas of Villanova
Mission Helpers of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Sisters of Charity of Our Lady,Mother of the Church,Baltic Conn.
Brigettine Nuns,Darien,Conn.
Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary
Sisters of the Holy Family of San Jose,Ca
Missionary Sisters of the Immaculate Conception,NJ
Sisters of Mercy,Daughters of Christian Charity of St.Vincent de Paul(Hungarian) NJ
Franciscan Missionary sisters of the Divine Child Jesus,Williamsville,NY
School Sisters of St.Francis,Pittsburgh,PA
Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception,Greensburg,PA
Sisters of Charity of the Holy Child Mary,California
Daughters of Mary Immaculate,San Antonio
Religious of Mary Immaculate ,San Antonio
Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus,Tracy,Ca
Daughters of the Cross,Shreveport,LA
Our Lady of Victory Missionary Sisters,Victory Knoll,Indiana
Sisters of St.Joseph Benedict Cottelengo,Opa Locka,Fl
Regis Pace benedictine Sisters(Manchester,NH(gone back to Lithuania)
Benedictine Sisters of Boerne,Tx
Seraphic Franciscan Sisters,San Antonio
Oblate Sisters of Jesus the Priest,San Antonio
Josephine Sisters(Hermanas Josifinas) San Antonio
Brigidine Sisters(Irish) San Antonio
Discaled Carmelite Nuns,San Antonio
Sisters of the Holy Spirit and Mary Immaculate,San Antonio
Ursulines of the Roman Union,San Antonio
Sisters of the Blessed Sacrement,PA Mother Drexel's sisters
Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, San Antonio(spanish speaking)
White Sisters of Charity of Zagreb,Buffalo,Ny
Visitation Nuns,Mobile,Alabama
These are all the communities I can think of right now.Wrote to them over the years.
My mother had a stroke,and later my dad got sick,so perhasp it is just as well I never entered,since i would have had to leave to help take care of them.