An Old School Catholic Message Board

Girls: What communities have you contacted?

SarahB

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='May 12 2005, 05:35 PM'] I've only really contacted cloistered orders... I do know a friend of mine who bacame a Sister of Charity in Baltic, Connecticut. They are a good order with a full habit and they have a teaching and nursing home apostolate(the nursing home is in Wisconsin).

But communities I have contacted:
Dominican Contemplative Sisters at the Monastery of the Heart of Jesus in Lockport, Louisiana
Poor Clare Colettines at Corpus Christi Monastery in Rockford, Illinois
Passionist Nuns (I forget where in Kentuky they were, but I just e-mail them every once in a while...) [/quote]
WOW, ok I live in Conneticut.

I am in contact with the Dominicans in Lockport also.
I visited the Poor Clare's in Rockford ILL. Wonderful community and they really do go barefoot!
A friend of mine suggested the Passionist's but haven't contacted any *yet*.

I was just surprised at how close our communites we choose. cool

Jessica

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='Jun 1 2005, 10:52 PM'] WOW, ok I live in Conneticut.

I am in contact with the Dominicans in Lockport also.
I visited the Poor Clare's in Rockford ILL. Wonderful community and they really do go barefoot!
A friend of mine suggested the Passionist's but haven't contacted any *yet*.

I was just surprised at how close our communites we choose. cool

Jessica [/quote]
Hi Jessica, :P Those are good communities. You might also like to look into the [url="http://www.op.org/nunsopsummit"]Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ[/url]. The Lockport Sisters have only 2 sisters whereas there are about 15 in Summit. They have a beautiful Chapel and the Sisters have Perpetual Adoration. Their Office is beautiful. Last I heard, they have 5 aspirants right now--one of them is from Japan and hopes to enter as soon as she can get her visa which I think is cool!
I really like that the Poor Clares go barefoot but I suppose that shouldn't be the only reason why a person choses a community! -_-

Susan

Marieteresa

I have contacted quite a few religious orders mostly cloistered

Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration [url="http://www.stjosephmonastery.com/"]St. Joseph's Monastery[/url] Portsmouth, Ohio
I was in contact with Sr. Mary Imelda for a while, she is really cool
Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration [url="http://www.desertnuns.com/"]Our Lady of Solitude Monastery[/url] Phoenix, Arizona
I will visit them out in Arizona in July, its my last stop before I decide which monastery to enter
Domincan Nuns Lockport, LA
Sr. Mary is so cool
Dominican Nuns [url="http://www.stjudemonastery.org/index.html"]St. Jude Monastery[/url] Marbury, AL
I visited here, what nice sisters
Discalced Carmelites [url="http://www.religiouslife.com/w_carmelites_iron_mountain.phtml"]Monastery of the Holy Cross[/url] Iron Mountain, MI
Discalced Carmelites Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery Parnell (ADA), MI
I visited the Carmelites up in Parnell, what wonderful sisters especially the extern sisters srs. Anne Therese and Mary Elizabeth, got to Love those sisters. This is #2 on my list for entrance
[url="http://www.religiouslife.com/webfact/search.phtml?view=d&my_id=166&criteria=d"]Discalced Carmelite [/url] Alexandria, SD

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Jun 2 2005, 09:40 AM'] I have contacted quite a few religious orders mostly cloistered

Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration [url="http://www.stjosephmonastery.com/"]St. Joseph's Monastery[/url] Portsmouth, Ohio
I was in contact with Sr. Mary Imelda for a while, she is really cool
Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration [url="http://www.desertnuns.com/"]Our Lady of Solitude Monastery[/url] Phoenix, Arizona
I will visit them out in Arizona in July, its my last stop before I decide which monastery to enter
Domincan Nuns Lockport, LA
Sr. Mary is so cool
Dominican Nuns [url="http://www.stjudemonastery.org/index.html"]St. Jude Monastery[/url] Marbury, AL
I visited here, what nice sisters
Discalced Carmelites [url="http://www.religiouslife.com/w_carmelites_iron_mountain.phtml"]Monastery of the Holy Cross[/url] Iron Mountain, MI
Discalced Carmelites Our Lady of Guadalupe Monastery Parnell (ADA), MI
I visited the Carmelites up in Parnell, what wonderful sisters especially the extern sisters srs. Anne Therese and Mary Elizabeth, got to Love those sisters. This is #2 on my list for entrance
[url="http://www.religiouslife.com/webfact/search.phtml?view=d&my_id=166&criteria=d"]Discalced Carmelite [/url] Alexandria, SD [/quote]
Just a suggestion:

I think it is important to know what spiritual family you feel called to- that will help narrow your search.
Franciscans, Carmelites, Dominicans, etc. all have different flavors to the way they may live their daily lives, how they pray, the general feel of the convent, how they approach the apostolate, etc.
To know your spiritual family it would help to read lives of the saints of a particular family and which draws you more.

These are th major ones from their respective orders:
Carmelites- St.Teresa of Avila, St.John of the Cross, St.Therese of Lisieux, St. Elijah
Franciscans- St. Francis, St. Clare, St. Bonaventure
Dominicans- St. Dominic, St. Thomas, St. Catherine of Sienna

Marieteresa

[quote name='materdei' date='Jun 2 2005, 04:33 PM'] Just a suggestion:

I think it is important to know what spiritual family you feel called to- that will help narrow your search.
Franciscans, Carmelites, Dominicans, etc. all have different flavors to the way they may live their daily lives, how they pray, the general feel of the convent, how they approach the apostolate, etc.
To know your spiritual family it would help to read lives of the saints of a particular family and which draws you more.

These are th major ones from their respective orders:
Carmelites- St.Teresa of Avila, St.John of the Cross, St.Therese of Lisieux, St. Elijah
Franciscans- St. Francis, St. Clare, St. Bonaventure
Dominicans- St. Dominic, St. Thomas, St. Catherine of Sienna [/quote]
Well, I love the Poor Clares because of St. Francis and St. Clare, The Carmelites because of St. Teresa of Avila and the Dominicans because of St. Catherine of Sienna. I think all of these saints are great and have done some reading about their lives. But after reading and visiting the Dominicans I know I am not called to that order but I am trying to discern whether or not I want to enter the Carmelites or PCPA. Both are good orders, I guess I will not know until I visit the PCPA in July whether or not it is my home or not. Thanks for the suggestion hon.

In Jesus, Our Blessed Mother and Joseph,
S. Brooks

avemarisstella

Hello people,

I've finally written to the Dominicans in Australia. However, I'm becoming more and more drawn to contemplative life. Has anyone here ever been torn between Benedictines and Dominicans? It seems nonsensical, but it describes how I feel at the moment!

God bless

[quote name='Susan' date='Jun 2 2005, 04:21 AM'] Hi Jessica, :P Those are good communities. You might also like to look into the [url="http://www.op.org/nunsopsummit"]Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ[/url]. The Lockport Sisters have only 2 sisters whereas there are about 15 in Summit. They have a beautiful Chapel and the Sisters have Perpetual Adoration. Their Office is beautiful. Last I heard, they have 5 aspirants right now--one of them is from Japan and hopes to enter as soon as she can get her visa which I think is cool!
I really like that the Poor Clares go barefoot but I suppose that shouldn't be the only reason why a person choses a community! -_-

Susan [/quote]
Actually the Lockport sisters have 3 now and it would be sad if people didnt go there just cause of the amount of people then they would never grow. But i know y'all would never do that you will just search out God's will and follow it. :) Love you all

Karin

[quote name='avemarisstella' date='Jun 2 2005, 11:36 PM'] Hello people,

I've finally written to the Dominicans in Australia. However, I'm becoming more and more drawn to contemplative life. Has anyone here ever been torn between Benedictines and Dominicans? It seems nonsensical, but it describes how I feel at the moment!

God bless [/quote]
Yes, and that's not surprising. Benedictine and Dominican Contemplative life are very similiar. Their biggest difference is the manner of government and the "end" of the life. Dominicans have an apostolic thrust to their prayer. They also place stress on the Liturgy as do the Benedictines.

The best thing you can do is visit both and pray, pray, pray and ask Jesus. "What do YOU want! "

avemarisstella

Thanks Susan.

I've just been talking to a sister from the Beatitudes Community and while it is certainly not a community I'd join, she gave some sound advise. I'm currently trying to convince the world and myself that it isn't a waste of intellectual talent not to do a PhD. I went to talk with a lecturer the other day, meaning to ask him about work opportunities (thinking debts...pay, growing-up time in the world...) and he came back to the PhD idea, which I haven't seriously thought about since the end of stage one university.

It is exceedingly hard to explain to someone that I want to be in a convent in under a decade and doing a PhD is NOT going to help!!! It confuses people. Never mind. I think working in the real world, with people in another city is a good idea.

God bless you all

[quote name='avemarisstella' date='Jun 8 2005, 11:21 PM']Thanks Susan.

I've just been talking to a sister from the Beatitudes Community and while it is certainly not a community I'd join, she gave some sound advise. I'm currently trying to convince the world and myself that it isn't a waste of intellectual talent not to do a PhD. I went to talk with a lecturer the other day, meaning to ask him about work opportunities (thinking debts...pay, growing-up time in the world...) and he came back to the PhD idea, which I haven't seriously thought about since the end of stage one university.

It is exceedingly hard to explain to someone that I want to be in a convent in under a decade and doing a PhD is NOT going to help!!! It confuses people. Never mind. I think working in the real world, with people in another city is a good idea.

God bless you all
[right][snapback]607739[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Hey! I totally know how you feel! I was going to get my PhD in comparative literature, so when I changed my path toward working to pay off my loans, everybody kind of looked at me with dropped jaws!

avemarisstella

Yeah, it's an interesting problem. I think it's crazy, because universities used to be full of religious anyway. We're going back to the roots of academia!

• 2 weeks later...
FiatLux1860

Well, this forum seems to have died off, but since I'm new to phatmass, I'll post them anyway. I'm torn between the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration (in Hanceville especially, although the one in AZ looks fantastic!) and the Discalced Carmelites.
Speaking of which, I need to make an appeal for the Carmelite Monastery in Mobile, AL. I talked to the Mother Superior today, and she told me that because there are only 4 of them left, they have had to give up a lot of the stuff that they do (such as they don't have much time for certain work. They all have to focus heavily on basics like making and washing clothes and cooking) I think it's kind of sad really. I feel almost as if I should go there just to keep them growing. They truly try to stay away from the modern world by not getting involved with the internet, so their webpage and their recruitment abilities are severely lacking. Please please please keep them in your prayers!

Its cool that you bumped up this thread! I have made a lot of progress on the contact front!!!!!!

I started off emailing a lovely Poor Clare from Canada. I think they're in Alexandria....theres only four of them but they seem quite alive!!!! They don't go about with barefeet because its so cold up there!

I am in casual contact with the Prioress of a Poor Clare community in the Netherlands. This is one of my majorly favourite communities. There are eleven of them and most speak English luckily!

I have started emailing:
The Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist and
The Summit Dominicans.

Howver, just yesterday, I emailed Sister Mary Imelda from the Lockport Domincans, and we fit SO well!!!!!!!!!! IF I join them, it'll be next Jan, maybe Feb...

However, I am totally torn between both the Poor Clares and the Lockport Dominicans. I don't know why.....

:o Wow I have seen so many people look at the Lockport Dominicans! The weird thing is that I have never even heard of them before I joined and I live in Lafayette, LA. How weird is that. I am 16 so I really have just started looking at different orders this year. So I have not really contacted that many but I have been looking.
-Daughters of St. Joseph
-Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist
-The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia (Nashville Dominicans)
-Daughters of St. Paul
-I have also looked at alot of Franciscan Orders because I love St. Francis so much. ;)

[quote name='futurenun' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:55 AM']:o Wow I have seen so many people look at the Lockport Dominicans! The weird thing is that I have never even heard of them before I joined and I live in Lafayette, LA. How weird is that. I am 16 so I really have just started looking at different orders this year. So I have not really contacted that many but I have been looking.
-Daughters of St. Joseph
-Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist
-The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia (Nashville Dominicans)
-Daughters of St. Paul
-I have also looked at alot of Franciscan Orders because I love St. Francis so much. ;)
[right][snapback]615971[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

You should look into the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. They are Franciscan but with a lot of the Dominican traditions, too (they used to be Nashville Dominicans). They run a retreat house in Birmingham that is beautiful!