An Old School Catholic Message Board

Girls: What communities have you contacted?

SarahB

FiatLux1860

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:42 PM']You should look into the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. They are Franciscan but with a lot of the Dominican traditions, too (they used to be Nashville Dominicans). They run a retreat house in Birmingham that is beautiful!
[right][snapback]616365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ooh, yes, you should definitely look into the Sister Servants. I don't think they're right for me, but I visited them this week, and I'm going back for a retreat in July because they're just so awesome! I read that some other people on here know Sr. Mary Faustina and Sr. Louise Marie? They're the ones I mostly got to talk to, and they are SOOO sweet! :lol:

Marieteresa

[quote name='jgirl' date='Jun 19 2005, 08:42 PM']You should look into the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. They are Franciscan but with a lot of the Dominican traditions, too (they used to be Nashville Dominicans). They run a retreat house in Birmingham that is beautiful!
[right][snapback]616365[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

The Sister Servants of the Eternal Word use to be Nashville Dominicans? I didn't know that! I wonder how they founded Sister Servants.

zecardboardqueen

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:24 PM']The Sister Servants of the Eternal Word use to be Nashville Dominicans?  I didn't know that!  I wonder how they founded Sister Servants.
[right][snapback]616396[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

One of the sisters left the Nashville Dominicans to found the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. It was definitely an interesting calling for her, from what I've heard.

And since this thread is just ASKING me to list the people I've contacted, I'll let you know that I'm interested in both the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia (those awesome Nashville Dominicans) and the SSEWs.... although I'm more drawn to the apostolate of the NDs.

Anyway, I'm going up to Nashville on Thursday, so I'll let everyone know my personal opinion when I get back. ^_^

[quote name='zecardboardqueen' date='Jun 19 2005, 10:47 PM']One of the sisters left the Nashville Dominicans to found the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word. It was definitely an interesting calling for her, from what I've heard.

And since this thread is just ASKING me to list the people I've contacted, I'll let you know that I'm interested in both the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia (those awesome Nashville Dominicans) and the SSEWs.... although I'm more drawn to the apostolate of the NDs.

Anyway, I'm going up to Nashville on Thursday, so I'll let everyone know my personal opinion when I get back. ^_^
[right][snapback]616487[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
The other cool thing is that Mother Gabriel in the SSEWs is the blood sister of Mother Assumpta who started the SMMEs.

We're on a tour fo the south (my mom has a conference down in Orlando, so we are there right now). On Saturday, my dad, sister and I are stopping by Casa Maria for dinner. I'm so excited because I love seeing the Sisters.

I must say that the only community I looked at seriously was the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist. There was really no question for me in that regard. As opposed to many young women I know who knew they were called to religious life but were searching for the right community, I knew from the start that IF I were called, it would be to the SMMEs. The 'IF' was the problem, though. ;)

Oh, and as I think this is still info coming out (as a pre-postulant, I suppose I'm on the "cutting edge" of SMME news), but two of our sisters will be doing grad work at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC this year, and a third sister will be teaching high school in Ann Arbor. I don't know about y'all, but I'm ecstatic at both pieces of news, because "my dream" was to get my theology and history degrees at Christendom, go on to theology grad work, and eventually teach theology at the high school or college level. I thought I had given these plans up in order to, um, get an education degree from Eastern Michigan (*cough*) and teach 3rd graders for the rest of my life. ;) God is SO good!

ThyHolyLove

[quote]two of our sisters will be doing grad work at the Catholic University of America in Washington DC this year, and a third sister will be teaching high school in Ann Arbor[/quote]

that is sooo cool! The funny thing is that I totally discounted the SMMEs because I would never have the chance to teach HS, unlike the Nashville Sisters. Now I think I'll have to give them a second look! When you see Sr. JA at pre-postulant week, tell her to send more sisters to the high schools!

[quote name='FiatLux1860' date='Jun 19 2005, 09:24 PM']Ooh, yes, you should definitely look into the Sister Servants. I don't think they're right for me, but I visited them this week, and I'm going back for a retreat in July because they're just so awesome! I read that some other people on here know Sr. Mary Faustina and Sr. Louise Marie? They're the ones I mostly got to talk to, and they are SOOO sweet!  :lol:
[right][snapback]616395[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Yes, I know Sr. Louise Marie and Sr. Faustina :)

Emily, I know, isn't that awesome?? And I will TOTALLY give your message to Sr. JA (oh golly, I fly out a week from tomorrow!!). I had heard that Sr. Mary Magdalene had done her student teaching at the high school, which made me wonder, but I got the official news last week from four sisters. Yay! And I'm psyched about the two going to CUA except that means I won't see two of my favorite sisters (as if I could have favorites) for most of the year!!!!! :( Ah well, all for the greater glory of God!

daugher-of-Mary

hehe...talked to Sr. Louise Marie today, and God willing I'll also be going to the retreat in July! :-D It amazes me how many people here know the same Sisters and communities...such a small Catholic "world" we live in!

So sad that I can't come to that retreat! I am chaperoning a youth group at Steubie S.t Louis, so I'm not available!

I will be there in less than two days for dinner! My dad tells everybody he is meeting the "Sisters of Jenny" or the "Jenny nuns" It's pretty funny. He better like them!

[quote name='daugher-of-Mary' date='Jun 23 2005, 09:02 PM']hehe...talked to Sr. Louise Marie today, and God willing I'll also be going to the retreat in July! :-D It amazes me how many people here know the same Sisters and communities...such a small Catholic "world" we live in!
[right][snapback]621161[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Awesome! Are you going to Father Wade's vocation retreat?

I have been discerning with the Passionist Nuns in Whitesville, KY for quite some time (3+ years). They are a beautiful cloistered community!!!
www. passionistnuns.org

and have contacted some others... Nashville Dominicans, Carmelites..
Another beautiful community is the Little Sisters of the Poor if your charism is for the elderly community. They are awesome!

daugher-of-Mary

yup yup! He was such a wonderful retreat master last year...hopefully this year will be great as well!