An Old School Catholic Message Board

Girls: What communities have you contacted?

SarahB

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Philomena' date='Aug 30 2005, 11:25 AM']Hi, I'm new here.  :)

I'm considering a religious vocation also. So far, I've only contacted:

Carmelite Nuns of the Ancient Observance in Wahpeton, ND

I stopped because my parents asked me to stop - they think I should wait till I'm done college :weep: so I don't rush into it and regret it later. I have looked at (but not contacted):

Poor Clare Colettines in Rockford, IL
St. Joseph Monastery Passionist Nuns in Whitesville, KY (I probably can't join though, since you must be an American citizen, and I'm Canadian)
Cistercian Nuns in Prairie du Sac, WI
[right][snapback]705081[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
You are looking into the Poor Clare Colettines in Rockford? I am looking to enter next summer (Contrary to my mother's wishes) and I am in pretty much the same boat with finishing college. I know Mother Abbess mentioned a young lady in a similar spot as the both of us...

Thanks, Lauren and congratulations!

FutureNunJMJ: Yes, I'm looking into them. They look like such a wonderful community. Isn't this such a wonderful image, [url="http://www.poorclare.org/rockford/vnext4.html"]http://www.poorclare.org/rockford/vnext4.html[/url], from their website? It probably isn't me that the Mother Abbess is speaking of, since I didn't actually get a chance to contact them before my parents told me to stop.

Do you know from your contacts with them, what they list as requirements for a vocation, in terms of age, etc.?

Thanks.

[quote name='Philomena' date='Aug 30 2005, 12:25 PM']Hi, I'm new here.  :)

I'm considering a religious vocation also. So far, I've only contacted:

Carmelite Nuns of the Ancient Observance in Wahpeton, ND

I stopped because my parents asked me to stop - they think I should wait till I'm done college :weep: so I don't rush into it and regret it later. I have looked at (but not contacted):

Poor Clare Colettines in Rockford, IL
St. Joseph Monastery Passionist Nuns in Whitesville, KY (I probably can't join though, since you must be an American citizen, and I'm Canadian)
Cistercian Nuns in Prairie du Sac, WI
[right][snapback]705081[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I am discerning the Cistercian Nuns in Wisconsin, as well. I've visited there twice, and they are just incredible! If you want to get in touch, just click on the Vocations e-mail address on their website or PM me. The Vocation Directress is just the sweetest woman, and she would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Philomena' date='Aug 30 2005, 03:32 PM']Thanks, Lauren and congratulations!

FutureNunJMJ: Yes, I'm looking into them. They look like such a wonderful community. Isn't this such a wonderful image, [url="http://www.poorclare.org/rockford/vnext4.html"]http://www.poorclare.org/rockford/vnext4.html[/url], from their website? It probably isn't me that the Mother Abbess is speaking of, since I didn't actually get a chance to contact them before my parents told me to stop.

Do you know from your contacts with them, what they list as requirements for a vocation, in terms of age, etc.?

Thanks.
[right][snapback]705393[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I think that they do go up until about 35 or so, and probably start about 18... but there are exceptions made in certain cases... Mother Abbess is quite a lovely person, and I get such a kick out of the Novice Mistress, but I know that 2 yrs of school or work is always a good thing to have, but Mother says that if one had a choice to go for work instead. Any other questions just ask, I'll try to answer them the best I can!

I have visited the Cistercians in WI, the Poor Clares in IL, the Poor Clares Collentine in IL, the Nashville Dominicans, the Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist in MI, the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration in AL, the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in AL, the Community of St. John's in IL, and the Community of Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in the Bronx. If you would like any more information on any of these just let me know.
God Bless
Mary

[quote name='Mary412' date='Sep 4 2005, 07:53 PM']I have visited the Cistercians in WI, the Poor Clares in IL, the Poor Clares Collentine in IL, the Nashville Dominicans, the Dominican Sisters of Mary Mother of the Eucharist in MI, the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration in AL, the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word in AL, the Community of St. John's in IL, and the Community of Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in the Bronx.  If you would like any more information on any of these just let me know. 
God Bless
Mary
[right][snapback]710963[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Could you tell me a wee bit about the Community of St. John's in IL

Also, where do you find the time to visit so many communities???

cheers

DM

[quote name='passionheart' date='Sep 4 2005, 09:15 PM']Could you tell me a wee bit about the Community of St. John's in IL

Also, where do you find the time to visit so many communities???

cheers

DM
[right][snapback]711043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Also, since it is harder for us over 40 types to find places that will accept us, but I am in contact with Dominicans Nuns in Buffalo. Never, did I consider a cloister vocation but maybe that is where my real vocation is. We will see.

In His Love,

DM

i live in buffalo- and was there for Mass last sunday. they are so reverent during mass, and so observant of the rule! it'd be great if u enter there..

brendan

[quote name='brendan1104' date='Sep 4 2005, 09:37 PM']i live in buffalo- and was there for Mass last sunday. they are so reverent during mass, and so observant of the rule! it'd be great if u enter there..

brendan
[right][snapback]711073[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for your post Brendan. I don't live in the US and so my visits are so few and far between. It is nice to hear about the community from someone who lives there. :)

" and so observant of the rule!"

How could you tell that just by going to Mass there? Do you know the nuns well?
My experience is that nuns are very reluctant to give a copy of their constitutions out to people who aren't serious about discerning a vocation with them.

I"d be interested in knowing more about them. I know the Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ and they have a most reverent litugy. Their chapel is so beautiful and you can see Jesus high up in the monstrance even from out in the parking lot when they have the front doors open.

They seem to have a real love for our Lady and her rosary and for Jesus in the Bl. Sacrament. The nuns who take care of the extern area sometimes you'll meet in the early morning. They are always smiling and so friendly. :D:

[quote name='Susan' date='Sep 5 2005, 10:43 AM']
" and so observant of the rule!"

How could you tell that just by going to Mass there? Do you know the nuns well?
My experience is that nuns are very reluctant to give a copy of their constitutions out to people who aren't serious about discerning a vocation with them.

I"d be interested in knowing more about them. I know the Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ and they have a most reverent litugy. Their chapel is so beautiful and you can see Jesus high up in the monstrance even from out in the parking lot when they have the front doors open.

They seem to have a real love for our Lady and her rosary and for Jesus in the Bl. Sacrament. The nuns who take care of the extern area sometimes you'll meet in the early morning. They are always smiling and so friendly. :D:
[right][snapback]711774[/snapback][/right]

Well, I have some pamplets here at home if you or anyone else for that matter are interested in finding out more about them. Just PM and I send them to you. I came into contact with them through Sister Joseph Andrew of the SMME. Later, I found out that two monks of the Abbey of Genese in NY (Monksbread monks) know this community as well. Talk about small world!!! Also, these good nuns have Extern Sisters as well and the major hours are prayed in Latin.

Cheers,
DM

i know they're very observant, because of their devotion to the Eucharist and our Lady, their practices, from what i've heard, from meeting their extern, and speaking with a member of the community through the turn.

-brendan

Has anyone visited the Gray nuns here? I mean the Community of St. Jean....I ran into a quite a few of the active sisteres at WYD and there going to start an active order her in the states next month. They seem pretty cool

[quote name='Marieteresa' date='Sep 5 2005, 06:18 PM']Has anyone visited the Gray nuns here? I mean the Community of St. Jean....I ran into a quite a few of the active sisteres at WYD and there going to start an active order her in the states next month.  They seem pretty cool
[right][snapback]712307[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That would interesting because I have corresponded with the sisters in France. Now I can read French and with a little practice I could get my conversational up to snuff again. (It easy for me since I live over the bridge from the province of Quebec) that was a consideration for those who were interested in the congregation. Now for others who are in my age boat, they don't have age limits.

Cheers,

Dm