An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy of The Hours

D0RK4JP2

Do you pray the Liturgy of the Hours?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='17 November 2009 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1258432532' post='2004123']
Baronius Press is in the process of doing a revised 1962/1963 Latin and English 3 volume breviary based on the Collegeville. Here's a link so that you can view the project and you can sign up for email updates on publication dates on their site. :)

[url="http://www.baroniuspress.com/forthcoming_books.htm"]Baronius Press[/url]
[/quote]

It looks great but I doubt that I will be able to afford that any time soon. Maybe I can get someone to give it to me for Christmas - now if only I had rich friends or family? :rolleyes:

I looked at the Baronius Press Missal for the Latin Office, and read Father Z's reviews on both that one and the Angelus one. I think it is great that all this is coming back again. Today I was in a bookshop that sells old books (looking for missals and breviaries) and found a book from 1951 called Mother of Perpetual Succor Prayer Book published by the Redemptorist Fathers from Ballarat, here in Australia. It is such a sweet little book, and has lovely prayers in it. It even has a section on how to serve at Mass, so it has what the priest says (in Latin of course) and then was the server says! I just love it.

The only reason I ever want money these days is to buy religious items and books - deep sigh. Nevermind, I will get what I need I am sure. Father already gave me a general missal for the Latin Mass which I can use, but I would still like a missal with the propers in it (am I being greedy?) :topsy:

• 5 weeks later...
MC IMaGiNaZUN

four years in religious life.

All our communities pray Lauds and Vespers in common.
I began upon entering praying Compline personally.
Novitiate year, I began praying Office of Readings first thing in the morning personally.
Sometimes my day is odd without it. It took me about two years to get used to this one.
I am still having a hard time figuring out how to manage Daytime Prayer in my personal schedule.
I suppose I want to become much more attached to it by the time I am ordained.

Slight personal thing, I usually do songs that are not published in the book, ones that I know, that help me connect with God. Usually they are more passionate or contemporary. Otherwise, I do not need to do much adaptations. The important thing is that the prayer is common throughout the Church. I do not want all of my personal prayer to be completely personal, but I do want the freedom to personalize it.

In most of our communities we open Lauds up to visitors who usually come for Mass afterwards. some of our seculars are being guided in praying the other hours.

I hope to train more young people in this. It seems that a lot of people are very overwhelmed by it, but easing into Lauds and Vespers is a real good way to start. It is how I started. Too many people see the fat book and get scared away.

Edited by MC IMaGiNaZUN

Laudate_Dominum

The times in my life when I prayed the office daily were among the most spiritually fruitful. I've been out of the habit for quite a while now and yet I can testify to the efficacy of this practice. Hopefully I can get my hands on the Baronius Press version when it comes out and get back into the swing of things. I've been telling myself that for quite a while now. :blush:

I generally say some of the hours from the EF [url="http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/press/dirunal.php"]Monastic Diurnal[/url]. I don't have time to say all of them though. Obviously, the Monastic Diurnal doesn't contain Matins. I have [url="http://www.breviariumromanum.com/home_en.html"]1962 Roman Breviary[/url] as well, but I prefer the Monastic Breviary's arrangement of the psalms to the 1911 Roman arrangement.

TeresaBenedicta

I pray it fairly consistency- at least two hours per day (unless it's a really, really crazy day). I have grown to really love this prayer.

I've been having a hard time getting back into it. :( I think part of the reason is that I'm accustomed to chanting it and have a hard time concentrating if I recite it, and at the same time, I can't chant by myself because my voice gets worn out.

I do miss it though. I was really going to try during advent and especially during the Great Os but it just didn't happen.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='zunshynn' date='22 December 2009 - 01:36 PM' timestamp='1261506970' post='2024479']
I've been having a hard time getting back into it. :( I think part of the reason is that I'm accustomed to chanting it and have a hard time concentrating if I recite it, and at the same time, I can't chant by myself because my voice gets worn out.

I do miss it though. I was really going to try during advent and especially during the Great Os but it just didn't happen.
[/quote]
Too bad trying to pray it on tinychat turned out to be a total flop. :hehe:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='22 December 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1261507084' post='2024480']
Too bad trying to pray it on tinychat turned out to be a total flop. :hehe:
[/quote]

Yeah... especially the way I lag. I'd be at the second antiphon when you guys would be at the responsory! :lol: