An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another jab at Shiavo's parents...

Fides_et_Ratio

Fides_et_Ratio

[url="http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/20/schiavo.ap/index.html"]http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/20/schiavo.ap/index.html[/url]

TAMPA, Florida (AP) -- The cremated remains of Terri Schiavo, the severely brain-damaged woman who died after her feeding tube was removed in March, were buried Monday in a Clearwater cemetery.

The burial failed, however, to bring a close to the Schiavo saga. Instead, acrimony flared anew, with her parents complaining that they were not notified beforehand about the service.

[b]Michael Schiavo[/b], who said he promised his wife he would not keep her alive artificially and waged a long legal battle to remove her feeding tube, [b]had the words "I kept my promise" inscribed on her bronze grave marker[/b].

[b]The marker also lists February 25, 1990 -- the day she collapsed and fell into what most doctors said was an irreversible vegetative state -- as the date Schiavo "departed this Earth."

Schiavo actually died March 31, nearly two weeks after her feeding tube was removed by court order. The marker lists that date as when Schiavo was "at peace."[/b]

David Gibbs, an attorney for the woman's parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, decried the words on the marker.

"Obviously, that's a real shot and another unkind act toward a grieving mom and dad," Gibbs said.

Two days after Terri Schiavo's death, the 41-year-old was cremated and her husband, Michael Schiavo, was given possession of her remains.

The husband had said her ashes would be buried at a family plot in Pennsylvania. But on Monday his attorney, George Felos, said in a statement that the service and interment had taken place at Sylvan Abbey Memorial Park in Clearwater.

The statement did not explain why Michael Schiavo, who lives near Clearwater, decided to keep his wife's remains in Florida. He did not return a phone call seeking additional information.

Schiavo's parents had opposed her cremation and hoped to bury her in their adopted state of Florida. Services for Schiavo already had been conducted in nearby Gulfport, where her parents live, and in Pennsylvania, where she grew up.

The Schindlers' attorney said the family was notified by fax only after Monday's service, when the family had already started getting calls from reporters.

Felos' statement said the Schindlers were notified of the service and burial.

A pond and fountain also mark the woman's grave, where the flat bronze marker was festooned with flowers Monday evening.

Terri Schiavo collapsed in 1990 after a chemical imbalance caused her heart to stop. She left no written instructions in the event she became disabled, and her husband said she never would have wanted to be kept alive in what court-appointed doctors called a persistent vegetative state with no hope of recovery.

Her parents, however, doubted she had any such end-of-life wishes. They maintained she would benefit from rehabilitation, despite most doctors saying her condition was irreversible.

The seven-year battle engulfed the courts, Congress, the White House and divided the country.

[quote name='Kilroy the Ninja' date='Jun 21 2005, 02:47 PM']Words fail me in regards to this dispicable man.
[right][snapback]618341[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I for one do not see him so despicable.

I do not see him as a murderer. There is a distinct difference between causing death, and allowing someone to die. I believe he did the later.

Do not be so harsh in your judgement, i am certain the man has cried plenty since 1990 when the entire saga began. Though he is not perfect, I am certain he hates the entire story as much if not much more than anyone else.

withholding a basic necessity of life is murder. when someone cannot feed themselves and you refuse them the corporal act of mercy of feeding them, you commit the sin of murder. and we shall not judge his culpability, merely say that he murdered her and thus his immortal soul is in grave danger.

i think this just partly needs to end, for the family and for the nation.

I believe it was good that so many people tried to help her and that the corruption of many of America's systems was exposed but now people have turned a blind eye.

Dreamweaver

I saw this last night on CNN's webpage. I was disgusted. At least her remains are buried in the state where her parents wanted them. But the wording on gravestone, "departed this Earth" in 1990?!? She hasn't been dead for the past 15 years.

crusader1234

She's gone now, so you're not helping anyone anymore. Since youre not doing anything contstructive, you need to drop this. Its not healthy.

Mateo el Feo

Sweeping this injustice under the rug (i.e. "dropping it") is not going to solve anything. It would just embolden people in similar situations to repeat this tragedy.

The husband has innocent blood on his hands. The tombstone is just adding insult to injury.

Fides_et_Ratio

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' date='Jun 21 2005, 07:01 PM']Sweeping this injustice under the rug (i.e. "dropping it") is not going to solve anything.  It would just embolden people in similar situations to repeat this tragedy.

The husband has innocent blood on his hands.  The tombstone is just adding insult to injury.
[right][snapback]618528[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
This was precisely why I posted the story. How quickly we forget our convictions and prepare to "move on". Regardless of Terri Shiavo's murder we are still left with the laws/decisions our country made. If we forget so quickly, how deep were our convinctions in the first place?

crusader1234

If you want to talk about murder, talk about murder. Drudging around in the personal affairs of others is not productive and has nothing to do with supporting life - its gossiping.

Lounge Daddy

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:25 PM']If you want to talk about murder, talk about murder.  Drudging around in the personal affairs of others is not productive and has nothing to do with supporting life - its gossiping.
[right][snapback]618637[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

So talking about how we are going to stop the rampant flood of starving and dehydrating handicapped people to death is gossip?

Are there really only a few people in this country who see the parallel of this situation to Roe vs Wade?
That court case was also made out to be a small thing, and the few upset people made out to be “drudging around in the personal affairs of others”

We are legalizing the murder of humans! First unborn children – next handicapped adults, and wait for it – handicapped children … and it will go on unless we demand some sanity loud enough that those in power have the balls to take a freaking stand!

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='crusader1234' date='Jun 21 2005, 09:25 PM']If you want to talk about murder, talk about murder.  Drudging around in the personal affairs of others is not productive and has nothing to do with supporting life - its gossiping.[right][snapback]618637[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I'm in agreement with Lounge Daddy. The reasoning you are presenting is precisely the way that abortion is justified. Something like, "Abortion isn't murder; it's a woman's personal affair."

Terri Schiavo was considered a non-viable human. She was the victim of a 127th trimester abortion.