An Old School Catholic Message Board

For the Love of God

the_rev

Thy Kingdom Come!
Blessed Kateri Teckawitha

This may sound crazy, but go with me.

Today I purchased a book from a big huge book sale in Green Bay on Mason Street. It is called "For the Love of God: The faith and future of the American Nun"

Time magazine said about htis book, "absorbing, provacative, For the Love of God is a probing ethnography of an endangered American Subculture."

I haven't read this book yet, but I paged through it and didn't find an imprimatur or a comment from a bishop.

However, it does look interesting, after I'm done reading it, hope to start tonight, and I think it is a good book, I'd like a list of people to send this book to. For instance I would read it, I'd send it to FutureNun with permission from her, she sends it to Daughter of Mary, and it continues on til at least twenty people read it. I would hold everybody's address and would only give one address to the person who currently has the book. Eventually I'd like the book back, but I thought maybe on the front and back covers (inside) that the person who reads it would write there name, and the religious community they want to enter, and then each person who reads it can pray for them, and then I can pray for them once I get the book back.

This may sound a little crazy, but I think it could work out!

Let me know if your interested. The only cost to you would be the cost of a manilla envelope and postage to send it to the next person. I think this is a cool idea and I hope I get a few people interested in it!

[i]Yours in Christ,[/i]

Eddie Lee

i read that book. it was two years ago now at the beginning of my vocational search. there were a few things i liked about it, but i remember there were a lot of things i didn't like about that book. i don't remember what and i'm too tired to look right now. i'll get back to ya on that one.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

That is a very good idea, but it takes me nearly forever to read a book! But it all depends on when I begin reading it and where I am...

daugher-of-Mary

That's a VERY good idea. ^_^ You should read it first, though, and see if it is worthwhile. If not, can I suggest doing the same thing with "...and you are Christ's" by Fr. Dubay? ^_^

I started to read it last night. I think it is a good read thus far. However I don't like how she implies that Nuns won't be in existence if something doesn't chagne, because right now vocatioins are flourishing.

i skimmed over the book and this really stood out to me.

"Even though nuns are sweating issues of productivity and solvency as much as anyone else, it is not financial pressure that will be their undoing. It is the soul-defeating business of attempting to gain ground within a system that systematically shuts them out - not allowing them (or any Catholic women) to answer a call to the priesthood, threating to excommunicate conscience-driven dissenters on reproductive right, commanding nuns and priests to quit ministering to homosexual Catholics, not taking nuns seriously. Given Pope John Paul II's righteous adherence to tradition, the Vatican has even encouraged a return to the habit and the strict cloistered life, thereby attempting to reverse a metamorphosis that began nearly forty years ago. For the time being, many nuns are making do, having achieved a separate peace, their notion of church circumscribed by the street, the shelter, the people they meet. 'Maybe Pope John Paul will be replace by a John XXIII, or maybe he won't,' says Sister Margaret. 'To tell you the tuth, it doesn't make any difference to me anymore. The men of the church think their job is to run a corporation without a deficit. But they don't run my life." (232-233)

Also, there is a lot of talk about lesbianism and nuns in one particular chapter.

from that paragraph it doesnt look like a very good book... but i do think it would be cool to do that we could just do it with a different book

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='karin' date='Jul 16 2005, 11:34 AM']from that paragraph it doesnt look like a very good book... but i do think it would be cool to do that we could just do it with a different book
[right][snapback]645462[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I agree, I'd find another book to read...

FiatLux1860

Yep, I agree that's a cool idea with the sending the book around, but that book doesn't sound so nice....
I agree with daughter-of-Mary that "And You Are Christ's" would be a really good choice. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list, and I've heard nothing but totally awesome things about it!

Thy Kingdom Come!
Our Lady of Mount Carmel

I'll stop by a Catholic book store this week when I go to the abbey.

Yours in Christ,

Eddie Lee

It's a good thing that you're scrapping the plan for that first book. Fr. Dubay's book is one of the best books I have ever read on the consecrated life, and when i read it, I wanted to share it with everybody else so they knew why I wanted to follow a vocation.

daugher-of-Mary

hehe. I'm excited. I started And You Are Christ's awhile ago, but was never able to finish because it was a borrowed copy. Maybe we could each send on a dollar with the book, so that when it gets back to Eddie he will be refunded for the cost?