An Old School Catholic Message Board

My 1st Eucharistic Adoration

zabbazooey

A few weeks ago, I began wanting to go to Eucharistic Adoration. I had no idea what to expect, but I began longing for that deep prayer that felt like it was missing. So I scheduled a time every Wednesday from 7pm - 8pm.

On Wednesday, I went to my 1st Eucharistic Adoration. At first, I was so unsure and uneasy, because I had no idea what to do. I went to confession last Saturday, but I didn't know if I was still pure from confession, but I wanted to try Adoration. I kneeled and prayed the Rosary first, still not sure, and then I felt His presence. I was dumbfounded by the awesome feeling I had kneeling next to the Eucharist. I guess something snapped inside of me, like my eyes had just opened and I realized Jesus was sitting in front of me!

I prayed to God for his forgiveness, and told Him I was not worthy to kneel before Him, but that I needed his forgiveness because I wasn't able to go to confession that day. So, I prayed a Chaplet of Divine Mercy and afterwards, I asked Jesus what I should do to amend my sins.

Instantly, the first sentence that popped into my little head was, "Dedicate your life to penance" It was so completely random! I mean, I go to confession regularly and do my penance, but never in my life did I once think, "I'm going to dedicate myself to penance in everything I do."

I need your opinions. What does this mean? What does giving your life for penance mean??

I can't wait until next Wednesday!!

well it is good to listen to that stuff. usually it is God talking to us directly.

And in this case, it is asking you to do something good, for the good of others and the benefit of souls. It is pretty hard for satan to ask someone to do that.

It is good to spend time with jesus, even when there is "blood" on your soul. (that is my personal opinion) But basically spending intimate time with Jesus is never a bad thing.

giving your life to penance would be accepting suffering and offering it for others. Loving Jesus basically.

in everything you do.

[quote name='jezic' date='Jul 21 2005, 11:35 PM']giving your life to penance would be accepting suffering and offering it for others. Loving Jesus basically.

in everything you do.
[right][snapback]653656[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Good to know. I'm just so lost on where I would start! :unsure:

FiatLux1860

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 21 2005, 11:10 PM']Instantly, the first sentence that popped into my little head was, "Dedicate your life to penance" It was so completely random! I mean, I go to confession regularly and do my penance, but never in my life did I once think, "I'm going to dedicate myself to penance in everything I do."

I need your opinions. What does this mean? What does giving your life for penance mean??

I can't wait until next Wednesday!!
[right][snapback]653625[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I've had a similar experience. I went through some troubled times and made some mistakes that I am heartily sorry for everyday of my life. And one day, I felt Our Lord closer than before, and He told me that I must dedicate my life to penance and reparation for all sins. Not just the ones I had committed, but most especially for the sins of all the people in the world. I felt that as a sinner, as someone who's "been there," I could come to God as an advocate for all those in the world that have made the same mistakes as I have. I consider this part of my vocation story, but it's more than just a call to penitence in the religious life. To me it means offering up my daily sufferings cheerfully, praying the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet for the salvation of souls everywhere, and standing up for what I believe in when it's not easy to do, and doing all of this NOW when I'm still just your average teenager living in the world. As St. Thérèse of Lisieux said, "To pick up a pin for love can convert a soul." So it's the small things we do everyday out of love for God and the souls that He loves so dearly that can become penances to save others.

Wow, I never thought of it like that! I'm going to offer up everything I do for the glory of God. I never realized fully what living your life for penance meant.

[quote name='FiatLux1860' date='Jul 22 2005, 01:07 AM'] "To pick up a pin for love can convert a soul." So it's the small things we do everyday out of love for God and the souls that He loves so dearly that can become penances to save others.
[right][snapback]653915[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

ABSOLUTELY...AMEN...YOU GOT IT...YES...YES..

When I first started going to Adoration I was confused as to what I should do too. I thought I had to do what I saw other people doing. Praying a rosary, kneeling, or reading a spiritual book. One lady knits blankets. One man does a crossword puzzle.

Jesus told me it isn't so much WHAT YOU DO as the willingness you have to come and spend time with him. What you do (or don't do) is between you and Jesus. It is very personal and not to be judged. We all come to Him in different ways and for different reasons.

So now when I go, I SIT AND I LOOK at the monstrance. I talk to Him and He talks to me. Occasionally I pray a rosary but more often than not I just look.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 22 2005, 06:49 AM']If nobody else is in Church I sing hymns.
[right][snapback]654043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Thanks for saying that I almost forgot sometimes I BLOW BUBBLES.

Didn't there used to be a saint who would :juggle: in church?

Blow bubbles? That's awesome. I don't think I could ever get the courage to blow bubbles. I'm afraid someone would walk in or the priest would wonder why the floor was so sticky after my holy hour! :D:

Noel's angel

when I'm working, I stick on some prayers in Latin to help me learn them ( I work in the Church)

KimberlyAnneImelda

lol, wow, blow bubbles--that's great! I usually go to church around 10:00 PM so that I know I'll be alone (and 'cause I have a thing for dark churches :) ) and I play some songs on the piano quietly or if it's earlier I play organ. I make some songs up, but I've never actually written stuff down--it's so much better that way. :)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jul 22 2005, 06:49 AM']If nobody else is in Church I sing hymns.
[right][snapback]654043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I do too.

Quietly... :P