An Old School Catholic Message Board

Anyone else considering the Summit Dominicans?

msahara

I just visited the nuns, yesterday and it was awesome! They're very funny, easygoing, intelligent, and so much in love with our Lord. I have 2 more yrs before I can enter (I'm a convert so I must wait) but I am drawn to this community. Has anyone else looked into them?

ThyHolyLove

ME!!! I visited them last week and I just love them! I don't know if they are THE order for me, but we'll see. I'm hopefully gonna do an aspirancy with them in January to live their life. Isn't Sr. Mary Catherine a doll?

For any girls who are discerning I would give the Summit Dominicans a look. Even if you think you're called to active life. Trust me there was no way I was going to be cloistered, but then I visited and things really changed.

ThyHolyLove

They're the Dominican Nuns at the Monastery of Our Lady of the Rosary in Summit NJ. They have perpetual adoration and perpetual rosary, wear the habit and are so faith-filled!

Here's their website-[url="http://www.op.org/nunsopsummit/"]Summit Dominicans[/url]

and they have a super cool blog-[url="http://monialesop.blogspot.com/"]Moniales OP[/url]

Yes....Sr Mary Catharine is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet!!!!!!!!!
I'd love to visit them sometime!!! I love their blog as well! If you read through the archives, there are some awesome Dominican saints and blesseds!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention you get a good idea of their life!!!

[quote name='memtherose' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:44 PM']Yes....Sr Mary Catharine is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet!!!!!!!!!
I'd love to visit them sometime!!! I love their blog as well! If you read through the archives, there are some awesome Dominican saints and blesseds!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention you get a good idea of their life!!!
[right][snapback]668056[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They're blog is really awesome- I think that's how I first heard about them. For those who haven't, check out their blog and their website. I love this community (obviously, I'm seriously discerning with them!). And if any of you girls are thinking about the cloistered life, contact the Summit Dominicans and make a visit. You will not be dissapointed. Even if you're not called to them, Sr. Mary Catherine is so wise- she gives great advice. And the other sisters are equally amazing.

[quote name='msahara' date='Aug 1 2005, 10:19 PM']They're blog is really awesome- I think that's how I first heard about them.  For those who haven't, check out their blog and their website.  I love this community (obviously, I'm seriously discerning with them!).  And if any of you girls are thinking about the cloistered life, contact the Summit Dominicans and make a visit.  You will not be dissapointed.  Even if you're not called to them, Sr. Mary Catherine is so wise- she gives great advice.  And the other sisters are equally amazing.
[right][snapback]668121[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Do they have an aspirancy like the Lockport Dominican's have?

Yeah, they do!

I'm not discerning this sommunity, but my friend Greta just returned from her aspirancy. I think it was 3 weeks long.

ThyHolyLove

Most contemplatives that I know of have some sort of aspirancy/pre-postulancy/live-in thing. For the Dominicans at Summit the aspirancy is like this:

"During this time, the young woman lives inside the enclosure, experiences the daily life of the monastery and discerns if this is where God is calling her. It is also an opportunity for the community to get to know the aspirant. The duration of the aspirancy can be from two weeks to four weeks. Afterwards, the aspirant reflects upon her experience and she and the community evaluates whether she wants to take the next step and apply for entrance as a postulant."- from their site

• 3 weeks later...
AlterDominicus

Hahaha, I've known the Mistress of Novice's (Sister Mary Catharine) and Sister Judith Miryam (Sacristan) For over a year and a half, you could say other then Mary they are my Spiritual Mothers!

[quote name='AlterDominicus' date='Aug 23 2005, 03:58 AM']Hahaha, I've known the Mistress of Novice's (Sister Mary Catharine) and Sister Judith Miryam (Sacristan) For over a year and a half, you could say other then Mary they are my Spiritual Mothers!
[right][snapback]695337[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

That's awesome! I love SMC and SJM :)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='msahara' date='Aug 23 2005, 09:14 AM']That's awesome!  I love SMC and SJM  :)
[right][snapback]695431[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

They totally rock! I'm making a song on the "SMC, SJM" they are truly honored. Sister Judith Miryam, introduced me to the Divine Office and sent me a few awesome books including the "Divine Office" Her extra copy of the Breivary, and Sister Mary Catharine has shown me the way, the truth, the life, the joy, the sorrow, the fun of the Dominican Life, and of course Dominic has totally agreed to this.

I made a tribute to him and Sister Judith Miryam read my tribute of Saint Dominic to the sisters at communtiy recreation. I was stunned and shocked, I am still curious if the Prioress Sister Mary Martin was among them.

SJM said that when I called and she asked who it was Sister Mary Martin said "A WOMAN!" and I clearly remember that SJM said I was blessed with a mature voice!!! Hahaha. :drool: :drool: :lol:

Yes, I am discerning them. I am going to visit in November...

its weird, though, I never in a million years would think this would bring me peace...oh but it does...God is soooooooooo amazing...the way He brings you through life.

i am also waiting on a decision from Nashville. My heart is torn in 2 though. All, I can do is wait and keep my focus on Him who strengthens and fills me.

I totally hear you Deepa! God really is amazing when you hand everything over to Him! I had ruled out contemplative life at the begining of my discernment. I was like "me, contemplative, never!" Then I visited Summit and all that changed. I'm still not sure if I'm more called to active or contemplative but I'm open to what God wants for me.

I hope your visit goes well, the Sisters are such dolls! I'm sure you will love them!